GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 03-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #21
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
If the antitheft learn has been properly completed and the car remains CNS with a security telltale, it is time to retrieve trouble codes. As with many (maybe most) "DIY out of ideas please help!!!" threads, far too many variables are now in play -- what are the chances the original problem is resolved with matched modules, but a new problem was inadvertently created during the early troubleshooting steps? Undo any workarounds (like the 2.2kohm resistor), make absolutely certain the key related parts are correct for the application and installed properly. Speaking of, exactly what was replaced? Lock cylinder only? Switch? Housing w/passlock sensor? All these are different...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:50 AM   #22
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Hunter
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am SE1 3.4
Hcates95 Gettin' there
I went through yesterday and checked just about every fuse under the hood and in the cabin. Every single one was good. Even switched some relays around to make sure it wasnt any of those. Not sure where to go from here. I feel like ive tried everything.
Hcates95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:18 PM   #23
sugar ray
GAGT - Member

AKA: Sean
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am
sugar ray Gettin' there
My 02 did this but I found the gremlin in short order. I installed an aftermarket stereo in mine and to retain the factory chimes and have all the factory speakers and tweeters it required an after market module that sits behind the stereo and plugs direct into the factory harness.

I got about 2 years use out of this module when one day for no apparent reason the car wouldn't start. Lights were strong, lots of juice and yes security light!! After re-learn nothing!! Pulled battery for 10 minutes nothing!!

This is when I learned the data bus ties into our radio units somehow. Removed the after market module and BAM!! The car started with no security light! Thinking coincidence?? I plugged the module back in and was back to no start!! Needless to say I replaced the aftermarket module and been fine since. Obviously an after market module isn't your issue as you don't have one.

Have you tried bypassing the theft lock?? Bottom line, your car THINKS it's being stolen
Trick it into NOT

Read this link word for word, don't miss a step!! Resistor very important, I modded mine this way never an issue again

http://www.bergerweb.net/grandamsecurityfix.htm

Last edited by sugar ray; 03-22-2017 at 03:25 PM.
sugar ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 PM   #24
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
Another option would be to delete the VATS system with HpTuners or DHP.

http://www.60degreev6.com/vb5/forum/...kill-vats-dead
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 AM   #25
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
When i first got the car i changed the ignition switch, ignition lock cylinder, replaced the radio with aftermarket since it was locked(yes i used the proper module and whatnot), and now i put in matching bcm/pcm pair from an '00 with the same options. One of the first things i did was the 2.2k resistor which i installed on the wire harness that goes into the bcm following the bergerweb instructions step by step and ive checked my connections a million times. Trying relearns in between every single one of these steps with no change what so ever
Old 03-23-2017, 02:50 AM   #26
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Also id love to disable the system completely but dont have access to a tuner and couldnt afford one at the moment. Unless someone wants to let me borrow theirs. Michael Jackson thinks someone should let me borrow theirs, i pay shipping of course.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #27
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
Did you ever get it figured out?
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:31 PM   #28
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Hey guys! So i went to sell the car as non-running and when the guy went to crank it, THE CAR STARTS RIGHT UP. I dedicated a whole month of trying to figure it out and all of a sudden it fires right up. So i ended up not selling it so i could keep working on it. The cat is completely clogged and got red hot in just a few minutes so im going to gut it this weekend. It idled pretty rough due to that. Also, i noticed what i think is a vacuum line on the left side of the motor near the alternator. It has a little cap on it but the cap has a hole in it. Is this supposed to have a vacuum line on it, capped or just open? I circled it in the pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0634.jpg (111.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #29
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Btw the red security light stays solid red all the time still, but it fires up after putting some new gas in it and giving it a little throttle while trying to start it
Old 05-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #30
Madness10
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matthew
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1
Madness10 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcates95 View Post
Hey guys! So i went to sell the car as non-running and when the guy went to crank it, THE CAR STARTS RIGHT UP. I dedicated a whole month of trying to figure it out and all of a sudden it fires right up. So i ended up not selling it so i could keep working on it. The cat is completely clogged and got red hot in just a few minutes so im going to gut it this weekend. It idled pretty rough due to that. Also, i noticed what i think is a vacuum line on the left side of the motor near the alternator. It has a little cap on it but the cap has a hole in it. Is this supposed to have a vacuum line on it, capped or just open? I circled it in the pic.
That is a vacuum port and yes, there is supposed to have a cap over it. If the cap is bad, then you need to replace as that will have a vacuum leak and cause rough idle and possible other things.
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:43 AM   #31
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Thats what i figured. I have a cap on it but the whole end of it is missing. When i covered it the idle got better. Thanks!!
Old 05-13-2017, 10:44 AM   #32
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Nothing goes to that port, it's just supposed to be capped. I don't usually recommend gutting the cat. It's okay if it's temporary just to keep the engine running and diagnose problems. Some cars can actually run worse with the cat gutted than with a functioning one though, and it will throw a check engine light. How many miles are on the car? The convertor is supposed to last at least 100,000 miles, and after that they usually are just less efficient but still flow good enough until they get an extreme amount of miles. A plugged cat is usually a sign of some other engine issue that needs to be addressed, IE burning coolant or oil, running excessively rich, misfiring, etc. Get the engine issues fixed, then put a new cat on it.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bcm, body control module, passkey, passlock, security light