GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > HOW TO's

Old 09-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
2000 GT Coupe
Made the move :D

AKA: Gene
Vehicle: 00 Grand Am GT1 Coupe
2000 GT Coupe Gettin' there
How To: Run both low and high lights for High beam

This is for cars that have projector headlights in them with separate low and high bulbs.
I have a 6 or 7 min video that will help demonstrate.
To start you need a relay, and some wire. The point of this is to have all 4 bulbs light up while brights are on, and only the 2 low beam lights while on lows.
Because of the crazy wiring on these lights your relay is going to have a few wires different then it would indicate on the relay. This video has been edited to save time and space, you dont need to watch 10 extra mins of me running wires. In the video I mention the relay is grounded at pin 87, I did correct that however let me say again the ground is on pin 85. The wire from the hi light is your switched power, and goes on pin 86 of the relay. The backwards wiring is on your 12v in and out. Power coming in will be pin 30, and 87 pin is the out to the low beam light.

MP Racing CAI and tuned PCM
LED tails Projector's with HID's
Lowered
18" Rims
Aftermarket front and rear anti-sway bars
2000 GT Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Good sh1t Gene. Damn those CCFL's are nice. Do your fogs still work w/ the highs/lows spliced together?

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #3
2000 GT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLover007 View Post
Good sh1t Gene. Damn those CCFL's are nice. Do your fogs still work w/ the highs/lows spliced together?
I did the mod to have fogs anytime, with or without lights even, a while back. However this should not change the fogs in any respect if they are stock.
when the switch is in the high beam position the fogs will shut off and back on when in low position.
Lowered
18" Rims
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #4
RPO3
BayBeee

AKA: Ron
Vehicle: 2004 Grand AM GT Sedan
RPO3 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to RPO3
Nice vid bro. Great how to!
Old 09-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
2000 GT Coupe

Thanks I hope it helps. If your HID kit takes a few seconds to "warm" up after driving with your highs on it can be scary.
Lowered
18" Rims
Old 09-28-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
lightningGA
Bagged and Boosted!!

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: Boosted 00 GA
lightningGA Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to lightningGA Send a message via Yahoo to lightningGA
So basically:

Ground = pin 85
Hi beam = pin 86
+ power in = pin 30
Low beam = pin 87

Nice how to by the way.

Eaton SUPER CHARGED!!!!!
lightningGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
2000 GT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightningGA View Post
So basically:

Ground = pin 85
Hi beam = pin 86
+ power in = pin 30
Low beam = pin 87

Nice how to by the way.
Yes, and thanks.
Lowered
18" Rims
Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 PM   #8
2000 GT Coupe

A few pics for anyone.

First Low's no fogs

Then Hi's no fogs

lows with fogs

hi's with fogs
Lowered
18" Rims
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #9
3800SII
GAGT - Member

AKA: C BOYD
Vehicle: 2004 GRAND AM GT
3800SII Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000 GT Coupe View Post
Yes, and thanks.
I hate to sound like a friggin idiot, and I consider myself pretty much knowledgeable when it comes to electrical systems, but I am stuck on trying to figure out exactly how this thing should be wired through the relay.

Can you please tell me if the wire source comes from the wires on the back of the
headlight? Is the power in from the low beam wire (DARK BLUE) the one that should go to pin 30?

I just would feel better about not blowing the fuses up!
Thanks!
3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 PM   #10
2000 GT Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3800SII View Post
I hate to sound like a friggin idiot, and I consider myself pretty much knowledgeable when it comes to electrical systems, but I am stuck on trying to figure out exactly how this thing should be wired through the relay.

Can you please tell me if the wire source comes from the wires on the back of the
headlight? Is the power in from the low beam wire (DARK BLUE) the one that should go to pin 30?

I just would feel better about not blowing the fuses up!
Thanks!
No problem, and the only dumb question is the unasked one,
Ok yes the wires I tapped into are the ones from the oem plug going into the aftermarket lights, so if you change out the headlights and go back to stock you will not have to fix any spliced wires.
and the power in should be from the HI beam going to pin 86, the switching control.

the power out should be pin 87 and that goes to your dark blue low beam light, pin 30 should be any constant 12v source, I used the fuse box 12v power. its a direct battery connection without adding on to the battery terminal.
because of the strange ground issue with these cars pin 30 and 87 are reversed then they should be.
Lowered
18" Rims
Old 10-21-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
3800SII
GAGT - Member

3800SII Gettin' there
Quote:
Ok yes the wires I tapped into are the ones from the oem plug going into the aftermarket lights, so if you change out the headlights and go back to stock you will not have to fix any spliced wires.
and the power in should be from the HI beam going to pin 86, the switching control.

the power out should be pin 87 and that goes to your dark blue low beam light, pin 30 should be any constant 12v source, I used the fuse box 12v power. its a direct battery connection without adding on to the battery terminal.
because of the strange ground issue with these cars pin 30 and 87 are reversed then they should be.
You are awesome bro! Thanks for the specific details. I am going to go home and wire the system up tonight!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:11 PM   #12
3800SII
GAGT - Member

3800SII Gettin' there
Quote:

It took me long enough to start this project! I waited until I could get a better H1 bulb for the high beam, but I am still having troubles! I understand the wiring diagram for the relay, but do you have to cut any of the wires that go to the harness or do you just splice them in? When I tried to wire them up according to the info, the relay automatically engaged. I don't think the relay should be operating while the car in off and the lights not turned on More over the side that I was working on neither light came on! My low beam is HID projector and the high beam is standard H1,. What am I doing wrong?

There are three wires on the harness: dark blue (low beam), pink (high beam), and orange (12 volt constant). Should I have to cut both the blue and pink wires and leave the orange connected? Do I wire the relay to the part of the harness that goes to the headlights or towards the engine. I appreciate the reply and assistance.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
SSRacer
Speed Racer

AKA: Sean
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Sedan
SSRacer Gettin' there
Very cool info. May have to do this at some point.

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive.
If it ain't broke, don't Microsoft it.
SSRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:52 PM   #14
2000 GT Coupe

Quote:
It took me long enough to start this project! I waited until I could get a better H1 bulb for the high beam, but I am still having troubles! I understand the wiring diagram for the relay, but do you have to cut any of the wires that go to the harness or do you just splice them in? When I tried to wire them up according to the info, the relay automatically engaged. I don't think the relay should be operating while the car in off and the lights not turned on More over the side that I was working on neither light came on! My low beam is HID projector and the high beam is standard H1,. What am I doing wrong?

There are three wires on the harness: dark blue (low beam), pink (high beam), and orange (12 volt constant). Should I have to cut both the blue and pink wires and leave the orange connected? Do I wire the relay to the part of the harness that goes to the headlights or towards the engine. I appreciate the reply and assistance.
The bolded is normally because the relay power pins are wired wrong.
I used

To make splicing fast and easy I generally do not like those but in this case I think it was ok. Now assuming your wiring is the same color as mine the Pink high beam is spliced and run to pin 86 from there it goes out pin 87 to the low beam, I also took it one step farther and ran a second wire over to the other side low beam as well. It will make the circuit to the other side with out doing so but I have no idea if it will be as bright on that side.
Now the Positive power goes in pin 30, I used direct battery voltage, no splicing of any other wires and a more constant power, that leaves pin 85, Ground.
Lowered
18" Rims
Old 11-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #15
3800SII
GAGT - Member

3800SII Gettin' there
Quote:
[I used

To make splicing fast and easy I generally do not like those but in this case I think it was ok. Now assuming your wiring is the same color as mine the Pink high beam is spliced and run to pin 86 from there it goes out pin 87 to the low beam, I also took it one step farther and ran a second wire over to the other side low beam as well. It will make the circuit to the other side with out doing so but I have no idea if it will be as bright on that side.
Now the Positive power goes in pin 30, I used direct battery voltage, no splicing of any other wires and a more constant power, that leaves pin 85, Ground.
Thanks for the clarification. I had the pins wired wrong completely! Pin 30 was to power and 85 to ground, but I cut the wires from the back of the harness completely. Now after thinking about it, that would only bypass the switching of the high/lows altogether. Well... I guess that wire nuts became my best friend! Yes, my wires are also the same color.

Thank you much again for the correct picture. Now I think I understand how this works.... Let me take a crack at this again tonight when I get home! Since the wires are already cut I can just hook an extra wire into the mix and twist them together...

Last edited by 3800SII; 11-18-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #16
3800SII
GAGT - Member

3800SII Gettin' there
Quote:
I used

DAMN MAN THAT DID NOT WORK!!!!! WTF...The low beam wire melted! fortunately it still works in the stock format. Lets regroup before I detonate my $#!+ any further! .........

I started working with the headlight on the passenger side. I am using one 12 VOLT, SPST relay that is rated at 30 amps.

This is simple....
PIN 30 12 VOLTS
PIN 85 GROUND

This has me stumped
PIN 86 From the relay to the pink wire, and it gets spliced directly into the wiring harness (correct me if I am wrong) wire should NOT be cut.
PIN 87 From the relay to the blue wire, and it gets spliced directly into the wiring
harness (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG) wire should NOT be cut.

Once again, when I connected the pink wire to pin 86 the relay energized
Like a true newb I decided to fire it up and see what would happen. Can you say smoke?

Now if this is the correct way then I may have relays that have pins which are incorrect. Dude... where is that video, and what am i still doing wrong?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:38 PM   #17
2000 GT Coupe

Quote:
DAMN MAN THAT DID NOT WORK!!!!! WTF...The low beam wire melted! fortunately it still works in the stock format. Lets regroup before I detonate my $#!+ any further! .........

I started working with the headlight on the passenger side. I am using one 12 VOLT, SPST relay that is rated at 30 amps.

This is simple....
PIN 30 12 VOLTS
PIN 85 GROUND

This has me stumped
PIN 86 From the relay to the pink wire, and it gets spliced directly into the wiring harness (correct me if I am wrong) wire should NOT be cut.
PIN 87 From the relay to the blue wire, and it gets spliced directly into the wiring
harness (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG) wire should NOT be cut.

Once again, when I connected the pink wire to pin 86 the relay energized
Like a true newb I decided to fire it up and see what would happen. Can you say smoke?

Now if this is the correct way then I may have relays that have pins which are incorrect. Dude... where is that video, and what am i still doing wrong?
Your car is 4 years newer could it be possible that they changed back to a true neg ground?
Also do you have your DRL's disconnected, could be that the drl is energizing things. as it runs your high beam albeit at a lower voltage.
Also just to clarify farther, the Hi beam is the inside light, that should be the pink wire correct.
Lowered
18" Rims

Last edited by 2000 GT Coupe; 11-18-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:48 AM   #18
3800SII
GAGT - Member

3800SII Gettin' there
Quote:
Your car is 4 years newer could it be possible that they changed back to a true neg ground?
Also do you have your DRL's disconnected, could be that the drl is energizing things. as it runs your high beam albeit at a lower voltage.
Also just to clarify farther, the Hi beam is the inside light, that should be the pink wire correct.
Yep... the high beam is the inside light. The wire is pink. I somehow doubt that GM changed the wiring schematic on these. According to the Haynes manual the
low is blue the high is pink and the orange wire is hot at all times. There are three wires hooked to the back of the headlights. This was standard for 99-05 models.

The DRLs are disconnected somewhat. I have a malfunction going on that causes the SVS light to come on when the vehicle is in drive. The dealership screwed with it one day when I went in for a keyless remote problem. Came out worse than when it went in, however I don't think that this what is causing my problem. To be 100% correct I hooked up everything with the car off. The relay still energized with the ignition off and key out. Does the information that I gave in the above post seem correct?
Old 11-19-2009, 06:52 AM   #19
3800SII
GAGT - Member

3800SII Gettin' there
One more question.... Am I supposed to use one relay or two? Once again I only did this on the passenger side headlight. Do both have to be hooked up?
Old 11-19-2009, 07:39 AM   #20
2000 GT Coupe

Quote:
Yep... the high beam is the inside light. The wire is pink. I somehow doubt that GM changed the wiring schematic on these. According to the Haynes manual the
low is blue the high is pink and the orange wire is hot at all times. There are three wires hooked to the back of the headlights. This was standard for 99-05 models

The DRLs are disconnected somewhat. I have a malfunction going on that causes the SVS light to come on when the vehicle is in drive. The dealership screwed with it one day when I went in for a keyless remote problem. Came out worse than when it went in, however I don't think that this what is causing my problem. To be 100% correct I hooked up everything with the car off. The relay still energized with the ignition off and key out. Does the information that I gave in the above post seem correct?
I did not deal directly with the cars wiring I did everything on the other side of the factory plug, in other words where the new headlight wiring goes from the factory plug to the actual bulbs.
Ok if your getting a svs light then that could be causing the problem, since you have an 04 try pulling the drl relay, 22 under the hood I think, then see if the relay still energizes without the lights on.
Quote:
One more question.... Am I supposed to use one relay or two? Once again I only did this on the passenger side headlight. Do both have to be hooked up?
You only need one, I did this on the drivers side because of direct battery access.
Lowered
18" Rims

Last edited by 2000 GT Coupe; 11-19-2009 at 07:41 AM.