Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - News > Personal Vehicle News

Old 10-01-2011, 03:46 PM   #1
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

AKA: Isaiah
Vehicle: '03 GAGT / '09 G8 GXP
FuriousG Gettin' there
New car - '03 Volvo S40

So I bought a new car while I'm waiting for my GAGT to arrive. I needed a car that the wife would be able to drive (and liked) so after turning down a '99 Lumina LS we found this. It's a 2003 Volvo S40 and has most of the available options and the 1.9L Turbo engine gets great gas mileage without sacrificing power. I'm really impressed with this car and my wife loves it too.

2003 GAGT: CAI, SLP Catback, DHP ECM, 18" ASA JH9 Rims, Eibachs, Corvette Z06 Brakes, Front/Rear STBs, Debadged, Dual Post Mirrors, Projector Headlights, Tinted Tails, Fogs, 3rd Brake & Reverse Lights

2009 G8 GXP: #1233 out of 1829 - SOLO Axlebacks, VCM OTR Intake
FuriousG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: ‘15 Honda Accord Sport
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
These little cars aren't bad, but have so many additional sensors and warning systems compared to your GA. The front wheels look stained from brake dust though.

2015 Honda Accord Sport Sedan: K24W
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
tipnitty
Sneezed and Sharted

AKA: Sam
Vehicle: 98 T/A WS6,14 Ram Hemi
tipnitty has made plenty of valid pointstipnitty has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to tipnitty Send a message via Yahoo to tipnitty
Buddy has one that is a stick, fun car to drive.
1998 Trans Am Ws6 M6
2014 Ram Hemi
tipnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
not a bad looking little car
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
Nice. i almost got a s70 turbo when i crash my grand am.
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:41 AM   #6
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
I'm pretty sure the dealership put new brakes on it before offering it for sale so I wouldn't be surprised if there's brake dust on the wheels. It's the wife's car so I'm not too concerned with keeping the rims pristine or stuff like that. I just wanted a solid car that would be good for road trips with two kids in the backseat. This car turned out to be better than I was expecting to get for less than $9K. I was originally looking for another Grand Am or similar but they are all around $6K-$7K around here (even for base model SE's.) This seemed like a pretty nice alternative with only a small increase in price.
2003 GAGT: CAI, SLP Catback, DHP ECM, 18" ASA JH9 Rims, Eibachs, Corvette Z06 Brakes, Front/Rear STBs, Debadged, Dual Post Mirrors, Projector Headlights, Tinted Tails, Fogs, 3rd Brake & Reverse Lights

Old 11-11-2011, 10:41 PM   #7
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
Well, after only a month and a half of owning it (haven't even made my first payment yet) we got rear-ended tonight. We stopped in a long line of cars for a stoplight but the lady in the Ford Explorer behind us apparently was not paying enough attention. She swerved at the last second and only caught the rear driver's side of our car and my wife was able to keep us from bouncing into the car in front of us. We had my 3 and 5 year old girls in the back seat and thankfully they weren't injured (amazingly, they didn't even start to cry.) My wife warned me about a half second before impact so I know she saw it coming. She's shaken a little bit but nobody seems hurt.

Anyway, cops showed up, other driver claimed responsibility and the cop fully agreed. After we completed the paperwork we were able to drive the car home. Amazingly, only the brake lights are out as the blinker and reverse light on that side still work, albeit smashed in and without a lens. I took a few pictures to see if anyone here knows the likelihood of repair or if I need to start looking for another used car. I hate to have to buy something else since the wife and I both really liked this car.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #8
cobrajeff92
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jeff
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1
cobrajeff92 Gettin' there
I bet they total it

2000 Grand Am @ED- way to many mods to list- SOLD BUT MISSED
2005 GMC Envoy
cobrajeff92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #9
street_fire
GAGT - Member

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 99 SC/T, 99 Dakota R/T
street_fire Gettin' there
That's a write off for sure. That rear quarter panel is Pretty bad. Glad to hear that u guys came out of it not hurt.
/´¯`/''¨ ''/´¯¯`·¸ ¨`:--·´ ¨ `·--:´¨ ¸·´¯¯`\'' ¨''\´¯`\
/''/ ¨ / ¨ ¨/¨¨/¨¨/¯\¨¨`·.¨ ' ' ¨.·´¨¨ /¯\ ¨ \ ¨\¨¨¨/´¯/
street_fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #10
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
with the rear quarter panel being as big as it is (stretching around the top of the rear door) it would be thousands to replace. and if it was replaced, i guarantee you it would never be the same. you'd never get a collision shop employee to do that much work correctly. the trunk and rear door would never line up properly tight again. i sell to collision shops and auto paint spray shops.

sorry for your loss, but at least the volvo lived up to being a safe car for your family!

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter
-still LOUD AS FCK though

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
-probably less than 1000 miles on it in the last 3 years...
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
Malibu369258
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mack
Vehicle: 91 D350
Malibu369258 Gettin' there
What's with everyone on gagt getting rear-ended???
Old 11-13-2011, 11:08 AM   #12
KhellendrosxS
Im A Motherfuc*er

Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT
KhellendrosxS a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to KhellendrosxS
Dont be too sure its a write off. My wife got rear ended in a 99 sunfire two years ago causing similar damage and the other guys insurance paid to fix it. Companies these days are not into writing off stuff if its remotely fixable. Find a good shop and insist that it be taken there for repairs.

SHOW:
Camaro Brake Upgrade, F/R Sway Bars, SLP STB
KhellendrosxS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
Unfortunately, I'm new to the area and I don't know which shop is good. I really am hoping that they do write it up as a loss since I have GAP insurance on it and I already found a black one just like this for a couple grand less than this one. Also found a few S60's for around the same price.

I noticed that the sunroof is not sealing correctly right now so I'm thinking the roof is warped a bit too. I'll be sure to point that out to the claims inspector tomorrow when I take it in. Hopefully they will agree that it's not worth fixing since I don't really want to deal with the possibility of leaking in the future. I'd rather start fresh with a different used car.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #14
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu369258 View Post
What's with everyone on gagt getting rear-ended???
This would imply that we are good drivers and that it's the people behind us that aren't paying attention. I'd be more worried if the GA folks were the ones hitting other cars.

Honestly, I am guessing the 21 year old that hit us was probably on her phone or texting. She was very apologetic but she also mentioned her recent divorce, some other guy stalking her and various other "drama queen" issues. She also was very familiar with the local police force (knew their phone number from memory) and she knew a couple of the officers who were on duty that night. I was happy that the officer who showed up wasn't one of the ones she was familiar with.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #15
Stevo
GAGT - Member

AKA: Casey
Vehicle: 2005 Grand Am SE
Stevo Gettin' there
My Grand Am was in a front end collision . I do find that most accidents werent caused by Us tho, so thats good Sorry for your loss but for sure totaled.

2005 Pontiac Grand Am - Alpine HU, Clarion Front, Sony Rear, RF Prime R2 Sub [ TOTALED 8/6/2011 ]
NEW DD: 2001 GMC Sierra SLE extended cab V8
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #16
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

Vehicle: ‘15 Honda Accord Sport
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
That sucks dude. At first glance, it looks fixable. But if you're saying the sunroof isn't lining up anymore...ack, might be better to walk away from it.

From my own experiences, S60's are very nice cars. Make sure you find a turbo 2.4L I5, the N/A 2.3L and 2.4L feel very sluggish, especially with AWD. Manual transmissions can be had with the turbo, but they're uncommon though.

2015 Honda Accord Sport Sedan: K24W
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 AM   #17
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
I like the S60 but the wife seems to love the S40 now. Since it's her car I will buy whatever keeps her happy and fits within our budget. I'd like to get a manual but since it's her car, I'm not even going to look at anything with a stick shift. I tried to teach her how to drive a stick with my old BMW 325i but she was too short to push the clutch in all the way. She had to sit with her ample boobs pressed against the steering wheel and the shifter was straight out to her side then. She never got out of 2nd gear when I tried to teach her.

Now it all comes down to whether or not the claims adjuster sees the car as a loss or not. If they try to fix it, then I am stuck with it. If they total it, then I can move forward on either the black S40 I found or maybe talk the wife into an S60 so I have more leg room too.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 PM   #18
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
Allstate said it's repairable and had me take it to a shop on Monday. The shop called today and said that repair would exceed the threshold Allstate had set so they are suggesting a total loss. Apparently Volvo's are made with boron treated steel and are very difficult to bang dents out of.

Now I have to wait for Allstate to agree with the shop and then find out how much they'll give me for the car. I have GAP insurance so I'm hoping to walk into another dealership and drive out with another car. I've found an '04 S80 that is under KBB value and less than what I spent on the S40 so hopefully that will be available. There are a couple S60's that I'm considering as well but right now the S80 seems like the best deal out of them all.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
oldschoolguy
noob

AKA: huh??
Vehicle: '01 Grand Am
oldschoolguy Gettin' there
Those are pimpin'. My uncle drives one, is the one you're looking at with a v8?
oldschoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:14 AM   #20
FuriousG
Nürburgring Driven!

FuriousG Gettin' there
We're looking at the V6. The nearest stores are over 20 minutes away so we need something with a little better fuel efficiency than a V8.