GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > HOW TO's

Old 11-08-2013, 09:01 PM   #1
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
03GT SilverGun Gettin' there
Post How to: Dye/Paint interior

How to dye/paint interior:

Items/abilities needed: Know how to read... it always seems to help me out.

I used Dupli Color Vinyl and Fabric dye in silver and flat black. I thought it would give more of an OEM look and not glare very badly. Rustoleum Plastic Primer, Rustoleum American Accents Flat Black and Dupli Color Color Match spray paint in silver (I don’t remember the exact code and I don’t want to go find the can). I got the dye from Oreilly’s and the Rustoleum from Wally World.

This will be how I chose to change the color of my interior. My project is still not 100% finished but hopefully I can complete the full interior soon. I will try and bring updates as I finish more.

This is how I chose to do this process. That does not mean that my way is the only way to do this. I am certain that there are several different ways to accomplish such a task.
I will be showing you how I did the passenger side door panel, door panel insert, tweeter sail, door handle, window/lock buttons and the window/lock trim.
Obviously you start off with a door panel that probably looks very similar to the one below.

I recommend taking the door panel off of the door. It makes it much easier to work with plus if you plan on doing a two-tone you will need it off anyway. There are plenty of guides on how to take off the door panel so I won’t go into that since my main purpose is to explain how I changed the color of the door panel.
Once the door panel has been removed go to your work place and flip it over. You should be looking at the backside of it.

For removing the insert portion of the door panel I used a wood burning tool to melt the rivets or whatever you want to call them. Obviously go one by one melting each rivet while apply opposite pressure so the door panel and panel insert come away from each other. I also did the same for the speaker grille and also the “tray” that is at the bottom of the door. This is kind of a tedious task and doesn’t smell so great. I recommend doing it in a decently ventilated area and try not to breathe that crap in... It can’t be good for you. If this part isn’t very clear please feel free to PM me and I’ll try and explain it better.

You should now have a door panel that looks similar to this. Note in this photo I have removed the “grab handle” also. Pretty simple just remove the screws and save them (obviously). Also save the metal bracket since it is what you use to help secure the panel back to the door.

Once all the extra stuff has been removed from the door panel it is time to prep your surface. I did this by sanding with 400grit until it was pretty uniform all over. While you are sanding now is a good time to go ahead and sand the insert portion and also the “grab handle”. I decided to sand mine because my thought is that it might help the vinyl “absorb” the dye that you will be spraying on it. I haven’t tested that theory because I did all of my doors the same way so I have no clue if my thinking is correct or not. Again this is how I did it and it does not mean that there is not another way.
Once you’re panels and everything are sanded we can begin spraying the dye. I did it the same way you would paint something. A couple light layers and then 1 maybe 2 thicker layers. The dye is similar to paint and if you get to much you could have runs or thick spots. Be patient and it will turn out fine. I sanded with 1000 grit between coats on one door and didn’t sand at all on the other door and I can’t really tell much of a difference. My conclusion was don’t waste your time sanding between coats.

Also while dying I believe humidity played a HUGE role in drying. If it was very humid it left a lot of “splotchy” spots on the door and I would have to do them again. Usually if I had a door that was REALLY splotchy I would go ahead and sand it with 1000 grit again and respray it. It also could have been because I was being impatient.
Time to put the insert and speaker grill back on the door! Lay your door panel face down with the insert under it. Grab whatever you used earlier to melt with and do the same process only in reverse. This time apply pressure making the “rivet” come through the hole and smear the melted plastic back over making a bond between the two pieces.

Here is a picture of the insert and speaker grille “rivets” after I have melted them back together in their appropriate places. You will do the same thing with the “tray” that goes at the bottom of the door.

I dyed my door panel and “grab handle” flat black and the insert silver. I did not get a picture of the passenger door completed yet but here is one of the driver side door. This is what you should have with exception to all of the plastic trim pieces. I will be describing those next.

For the plastic pieces I washed them off well with warm soapy water and scuffed them up a little with the 400 grit. MAKES SURE YOU REMOVE THE TWEETER BEFORE WASHING OR PAINTING. It comes out by releasing the clips. Once your plastic pieces are sanded and dry you can go ahead and paint them. I used Rustoleum Plastic Primer and then a Flat Black Rustoleum American Accents spray paint. I did not put a clear coat on mine because I could not ever get it to be flat like I wanted it to be. It always got hazy or made my black look like a dark gray so I just skipped it and try to be careful.

That process went for the tweeter sail, door tray (or whatever you want to call it), door handle, door handle trim, and window trim. The window button and lock button I did a little differently since mine weren’t in the best shape and I wanted to add something a little different.

Clear the switches it doesn’t have to be 100% but wherever you are wanting the light to shine through needs to be cleared.

To clear them I wet sanded with the 400 grit and then went over them again with 1000 and 2000 to get them a little more clear instead of being hazy from the 400.
Once I was finished clearing them I made sure they were good and dry and sprayed several light coats of silver over them. I DID NOT PUT PRIMER DOWN BEFORE THE SILVER. My whole idea was that I wanted them to look silver but still allow the light to show through. After I was finished laying my silver I used an eXacto knife to cut out my patterns from blue painters tape. I just did a rectangle for the window switch and for the lock switches I made my own arrow head. Granted I wanted it to be more detailed but I didn’t have the patients to try and cut that much. It was hard enough getting the arrowhead mostly straight.

After my patterns were cut out I then put them on the switches and got them as straight as I possibly could. After my areas were taped off I sprayed some flat black over them. I did probably 3 or 4 coats I don’t remember for sure. I used the same spray paint as when I did all the other plastic pieces. For the silver one the switches I used the Dupli Color stuff from O’reilly’s.

Also while I was laying my silver on my switches I decided to pop out the orange lock part of the door handle and paint it silver. You can see it in the pictures.

Again I do not have a completed passenger door picture right now. I am still switching out the bulbs so I can have a blue LED interior.

I am sure I missed something or left something out so if you have any questions please feel free to ask and I will try my best to answer it. Again this is only my way of doing this and I am sure there are other ways to do it.
03GT SilverGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Tell your wife good job on that garden!

So you just melted the plastic rivet type sht back over to secure the vinyl piece back onto the door?

BTW I think you could just clean the vinyl piece with rubbing alcohol then paint it without scuffing it up with the sand paper. I always feel wary of scratching something up with sand paper.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #3
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
I didnt read any of this. Just looked at pics. Seems like a nice write up. Lol

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, power commander 5, dyno tune, 190WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
03GT SilverGun Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
Tell your wife good job on that garden!

So you just melted the plastic rivet type sht back over to secure the vinyl piece back onto the door?

BTW I think you could just clean the vinyl piece with rubbing alcohol then paint it without scuffing it up with the sand paper. I always feel wary of scratching something up with sand paper.
Hah thanks I'll let her know! And yep just melt the. Plastic from the two pieces back together and sorta smooth it out so it holds. You are probably right that it would work by just cleaning the surface well. But I sanded the first one so I figured I'd do the rest the same way and like I said I don't know if it helps by sanding or not just how I did it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I didnt read any of this. Just looked at pics. Seems like a nice write up. Lol
Thanks! I usually just look at the pics also until I find something interesting enough to want to read about it.
03GT SilverGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
Pretty good write up dude, and that interior still looks VERY, VERY COOL!!! I'm jealous as hell, and haven't got the desire to repeat it, but I would steal yours in a heartbeat
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dye, interior, paint