GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 05-25-2020, 09:53 PM   #1
2000Gt Grand Am
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Sedan
2000Gt Grand Am Gettin' there
2000 Grand Am rear struts needs replacing/leak on passenger side floor area

Was looking online to see how easy it is to replace the rear struts that are just really annoying noise making due to age and potentially not keeping the wheels on the ground well enough. Car is pretty old but I plan on using her as maybe a semi-off road vehicle even though Grand Ams probably are not the best for that. Well whatever maybe be good as a car to just mess around with some easy trails where I've seen Camaros go around in.

So anyways looking to replace the old struts for now since its still being used as a daily but the roads in Illinois are so awful so it might as well be off road anyways. Any suggestions in looking for some good rear struts. The front ones had already been replaced so eventually those would get replaced the same but for now the rears are still original and, yeah they really could be changed out.

So any really good ones out there that'll fit the Grand Am easy? I dont know if any auto part stores would carry or at least be able to special order some. I'm not getting much info from the O'Reilly website.

Also second problem that I've tried fixing already but still have a leak on the passenger side that appears to come down from the air vent at the top. I thought there was some gap that came loose and thinking this gap was the culprit however maybe I didnt do a good enough job. I just seem to have a problem in locating this leak. Is it possible a drain spout is plugged up? Or maybe the weather strip between the window and plastic vent area isnt sealing? I dont know. Since my other car is taking up space in the garage I never want to drive that to work so the Grand Am just sits outside where I get a nice puddle on passenger floor.

Might get a better look at it with the wiper arms out of the way, are they easily removable?

Last edited by 2000Gt Grand Am; 05-25-2020 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Additional information
2000Gt Grand Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Lots of struts available. I believe Monroe makes a "quick strut" which is the entire assembly (spring, strut, upper mount, etc) already put together so you don't need a spring compressor or anything. They are pretty cheap too. Only thing to keep in mind is, you should still get an alignment after replacement because any time you remove struts it will throw the alignment off.

Not sure about the leaking problem. I've never had that issue, so haven't dug into it much on my car.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:42 AM   #3
2000Gt Grand Am
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Sedan
2000Gt Grand Am Gettin' there
Yep found a couple of those Monroe struts at an autopart store, I was sort of worried about having to get an alignment done but they're cheap enough to do, when I get the money anyways.

Think I figured out the leak issue, the plastic or rubber seal that is on the bottom part of the windshield doesn't seem to be sealing properly and the water is trickling down into the vent hole that goes to the blower motor so I just threw in a Tupperware lid over that hole to see if that stops the leak. It usually leaks during downpours so I'll have to wait and see if that remedied the issue. If that's the case then that window seal needs to be re-sealed somehow.
2000Gt Grand Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #4
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I believe that hole is for the incoming air into the car for ventilation, so I don't think you really want to block that. I had a similar issue on a '97 Grand Prix. There was a piece of rubber weather strip at the bottom of the windshield (under the trim panel beneath the wipers) that was supposed to redirect water away from that hole, but it wouldn't stay on the bottom edge of the windshield. I wiped all the dirt out then cleaned the inside of the strip and edge of the windshield with rubbing alcohol, then used some RTV sealant to hold the weather strip in place. Any silicone sealant would probably work. After I did that, didn't get any more water there.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote