GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Show (Appearance modifications)

Old 09-29-2003, 09:44 PM   #21
silvergagt02
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Sedan
silvergagt02 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to silvergagt02
I have them put in the assembly just like it said in the how-to. If you are looking at the rear of my car it goes u,m,u,m. This is the only way that all the lights will all come on. After I encountered the problem I checked dif. combinations of lights in spots and turned them around and they still only all work when they are placed just like it said in the how-to, but the 2 outside bulbs still don't get brighter when I hit the brake, and the 2 that do get brighter, don't get much brighter. I checked to make sure I modified the bulbs right and I did, but I have no idea why its not working correctly, anyone else have any ideas???
silvergagt02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 10:53 PM   #22
2003GAGT
Flossin

Vehicle: 03 Grand Am GT
2003GAGT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 2003GAGT
You didn't modify all four LED's did you?
2003GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:07 PM   #23
GTluver
newest hobby...

Vehicle: 2000 GA GT1 Sedan
GTluver Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to GTluver Send a message via Yahoo to GTluver
Quote:
Originally posted by silvergagt02
I have read through all the jamstrait LED subjects, but still had a question. I folowed the how to guide and modified my jamstraits and put them in just how it said to, but they still aren't working properly. All 4 lights light up, but when I brake, only the 2 inside bulbs light up, the outside bulbs just stay the same. Has anyone experience this situation?
hey....ur not the only one.....but in my case.....when i hit the brakes...not a single bulb gets brigther and the left bulb on each assembly dont light up
Old 09-29-2003, 11:09 PM   #24
2003GAGT
Flossin

2003GAGT Gettin' there
Did you guys use any kind of di-electric grease with the LED's?

I made that stupid mistake and it was shorting out and causing all of the bulbs to be constantly lit the same, whether I hit the brakes or not.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:40 AM   #25
silvergagt02
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Sedan
silvergagt02 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to silvergagt02
I only modified 2 of them, and didn't use any kind of grease. All I did was follow the how-to exactly, I just popped the casing off, cut the one wire and moved other one over, put them back together and put them in my light assembly. Thanks for the help guys, but were you able to fix them to work properly?
silvergagt02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 01:25 PM   #26
2003GAGT
Flossin

2003GAGT Gettin' there
Yeah I did end up getting mine to work...

Your best bet is to have someone in your area that has installed these look at it...I can't think of anything that could be causing the problem.
Old 10-23-2003, 08:47 PM   #27
rambis9999
Straight G's

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
rambis9999 Gettin' there
LED 3157 SRCK

I was looking at some LED's for my tails on e-bay and asked one site what modifications needed to be done if any to his LED's to work in my 2000 GT and he said I needed 3157 SRCK LEDs. Anyone heard of these and do they need to be modified or can they be used in all 4 spots as is?
rambis9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 09:40 PM   #28
iceman
woop woop

AKA: Seth
Vehicle: 97 Blazer - 84 Fiero
iceman has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
Read the part above

Brake/Parking lights to the rear of the car
This applies to the four 3157 bulbs in the rear of the car.. two in each housing.

The pin locations are not the same for both sockets in each housing..
Explanation of why one bulb has to be modified

The APC LED bulbs for Chevy/GM will work in place of a modified Jamstrait or Sunbrite bulb. ONE bulb per tail has to be modified, read the thread above and the two listed here:

Modifying Jamstrait bulbs
Modifying Sunbrite bulbs

And read the link in particular about why you have to modify. You need one "normal" bulb and one "chevy use" bulb
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:11 PM   #29
NorKoastal
WhiteOutGT

AKA: Brad
Vehicle: 2000 GA GT Coupe
NorKoastal Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to NorKoastal
Pictures for any of these mods?????????
NorKoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 08:11 PM   #30
magyver
Blue Light Special

Vehicle: 00 ga gt coupe black
magyver Gettin' there
bettter approach

i thinki have a better approach than the 3ohm resistor.... since that resistor is going from ground to the positve, its gonna give off some heat... i currently am running the 3 ohm 50W per rear blinker (pair) and it gets so damn hot i cant touch it... this is gonna happen no matte rwhat wattage resistor you get... its just not safe, it could start crap on fire back there... so this is a much safer and simpler way in my eyes, goto a junkyard or a autoparts store, get a 3157 socket with pigtails (wire leads) and take your factory bulb and put it in there, then match the colors (black and lt blue, or dark blue and basicly put it in parrallel with your turn signal... now yes, there will be a light shining in your trunk, take some high temp black paint and paint it and put itbehind the carpet with some protection.. that will create enough load to safely make your led turn signals blink...

i cant leave my hazzards on for more than a couple minutes cause i think those resistors will fry....

i dont know, but this is the route im taking..

comments?
Old 11-07-2003, 10:41 PM   #31
Gimli
GAGT - Newbie... NOT!

Vehicle: 2002 GAGT1 coupe
Gimli Gettin' there
Send a message via ICQ to Gimli Send a message via Yahoo to Gimli
A 50 watt will get very hot but the 10w and 5w I use don't get so hot as to be dangerous. If you feel more comfortable with a bulb goahead but do know that these also get pretty hot.
Gimli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 11:24 PM   #32
magyver
Blue Light Special

magyver Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally posted by Gimli
A 50 watt will get very hot but the 10w and 5w I use don't get so hot as to be dangerous. If you feel more comfortable with a bulb goahead but do know that these also get pretty hot.
thats actualy backwards... not trying to be a know it all but the higher watt resistor you use, the less it should get hot, meaning it can handle more current., we were taught in tech school that you should always use a safty factor of 4, but we are basicly going directly across a battery if ya think of it like that..... thats just the way it works P=IE

anyways, i am gonna put my bulb in a lawrys season salt container and hot glue the base to it, so then i can just set it behind the carpet and the bulb wont touch nothing and the container will keep it from toughing other things... , i know its lame, but to me its the safest way, plus a blinking bulb wont get hot hardly at all, cause it will be blinking fast like... and u know what, i dont mind the rapid blinking... but my girl hates it... , not her car...

lataz
Old 11-08-2003, 07:01 AM   #33
Gimli
GAGT - Newbie... NOT!

Gimli Gettin' there
I don't know, I thought the wattage was the energy consumption of the resistor. The more energy consumed by the resistor the more heat released, right? I'm not trying to be a smartass, it's just what I figured but I'm by no mean an electronical engineer...

Where the heck did you put your resistors to have them near carpet? I've put mine right on the wiring harnesses and taped them to the wire loom so in my case, both in the front and back, they're only near the wires themselves with at least 1 inch of air around it. And the only other things that are anyehre near are metal body parts.

Of course I wouldn't put them against carpet, just in case...
Old 11-08-2003, 04:42 PM   #34
magyver
Blue Light Special

magyver Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally posted by Gimli
I don't know, I thought the wattage was the energy consumption of the resistor. The more energy consumed by the resistor the more heat released, right? I'm not trying to be a smartass, it's just what I figured but I'm by no mean an electronical engineer...

Where the heck did you put your resistors to have them near carpet? I've put mine right on the wiring harnesses and taped them to the wire loom so in my case, both in the front and back, they're only near the wires themselves with at least 1 inch of air around it. And the only other things that are anyehre near are metal body parts.

Of course I wouldn't put them against carpet, just in case...
on the wattage thing, if that was true, then why not use a 1/4 watt resistor? and yeah, it is based on the power consumed.. for instance, if you have a 12V power supply, and you need to knock it down to 8v and it draws 100amp, then you need a high watt resistor due to the amperage,, if ya need to knock it down to 8V but only are drawing like 200ma of current, then you use a lower watt resistor...

but i put my resistors inside on the left and on the right behind the carpet so they wont melt nothing, and water cant get to them... on the sides in the back, there is like 6" of open space from the carpet to the fender... i ziptied them up in there, theres a assston load of room back there, now that i know this, i have filled them areas with ****tt.. .....

ok alright.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:00 PM   #35
Gimli
GAGT - Newbie... NOT!

Gimli Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally posted by magyver
on the wattage thing, if that was true, then why not use a 1/4 watt resistor?
I've tried it but the load on the electrical system isn't high enough with a 1/4 watt resistor for the flasher relay to detect something's flashing.
Old 11-12-2003, 11:33 PM   #36
Chock
VSO CHIKI POOKI...

Vehicle: 1995 Grand AM GT
Chock Gettin' there
I installed LED bulbs in my tail lights, and they seem to work fine (since i used the chevy/gm ones) But for some reason.. when i turn on my turn signal it doesnt flash at ALL... all it does is lit up... so basiclly there is no rapid flashing like some of u have experienced, there is no flashing at all as a mtter of fact... it just lights up in the front and in the back... Can anyone help me out?
Old 11-13-2003, 08:10 PM   #37
magyver
Blue Light Special

magyver Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally posted by Chock
I installed LED bulbs in my tail lights, and they seem to work fine (since i used the chevy/gm ones) But for some reason.. when i turn on my turn signal it doesnt flash at ALL... all it does is lit up... so basiclly there is no rapid flashing like some of u have experienced, there is no flashing at all as a mtter of fact... it just lights up in the front and in the back... Can anyone help me out?
not enough load, everyone on here says you need a 3OHM resistor per side... but check my the next post...
Old 11-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #38
magyver
Blue Light Special

magyver Gettin' there
okk

well, i did the 3 ohm resistor per sideon the back, a 50W one and it got so damnnn hot i got scared its gonna burn somting up... so since i had one led bulb and one standard bulb in my tailight and it worked, but with two led bulbs per side it didnt, i got the idea to put an 3157 bulb in parallel with the tail blinkers.... and u know what? it works great!!! this is the safest way, the bulbs dont get too hot cause there blinking, and when you have the 3157 socket, with the 3 wires coming out, you can put the brown and blue wires together to get even a bigger load(blink and running) at the same time so yeah! i got them from a junkyard and they threw them in when i bought the radio bezel... when you cut them from the front of a 96+ ga, take enough wire so you dont have to splice more on to them...

as for the little heat they give off, i put them in a spray can top, this allows space on the side of the bulb, and also, its recessed in so the top can breath as well...

check the picts
Old 11-13-2003, 08:20 PM   #39
magyver
Blue Light Special

magyver Gettin' there
im slow

Old 11-13-2003, 08:22 PM   #40
magyver
Blue Light Special

magyver Gettin' there