GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 08-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Danspeed1
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dan
Vehicle: 05 Grand Am GT1
Danspeed1 Gettin' there
High Beam Issue

Hello,

I have a 2005 Grand am GT1 with 245k miles on it. Have owned it since new. I had an aftermarket set of headlamps in the car for the last 3 years without a single issue. Out of nowhere the high beam light on the dash stayed illuminated for now reason what so ever, yet unless the high beams are switched into the on position they do not illuminate and work normally. I recently changed the headlamps again because they were beat up. All my connections appear to look good. I pulled apart the steering column and cleaned the switch. It did not resolve the issue. I was thinking maybe a bad relay but I can't seem to locate a headlight relay.

Thoguhts?

Dan
Danspeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:23 PM   #2
gmach3
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Greg
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE2
gmach3 Gettin' there
We had something similar with my daughter's car, and ended up replacing the multifunction switch. Probably a Dorman part or something, but it was only about $65. If you know someone with a spare one, it might be worth swapping and testing. I hate just throwing parts at a problem.

Another thought is if the DRL module is maybe bad. Those are about $35 for a Dorman, over 100 for OEM.

One other thought... given that all of these cars are getting on in years, have you cleaned the headlight sockets (where the lamps actually plug in)? It's something that a mechanic buddy of mine has told me about specifically we these. If they get corroded it can cause all kinds of electrical mayhem.
gmach3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #3
Danspeed1
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dan
Vehicle: 05 Grand Am GT1
Danspeed1 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmach3 View Post
We had something similar with my daughter's car, and ended up replacing the multifunction switch. Probably a Dorman part or something, but it was only about $65. If you know someone with a spare one, it might be worth swapping and testing. I hate just throwing parts at a problem.

Another thought is if the DRL module is maybe bad. Those are about $35 for a Dorman, over 100 for OEM.

One other thought... given that all of these cars are getting on in years, have you cleaned the headlight sockets (where the lamps actually plug in)? It's something that a mechanic buddy of mine has told me about specifically we these. If they get corroded it can cause all kinds of electrical mayhem.
Thanks for the response. I had the multifunction switch apart, cleaned and back together. It seemed ok and is functioning correctly. I don't have DRLs in the car. When I replaced the headlights I noticed that the housing connectors for the headlights were heavily corroded. I did the best I could to clean then but I think I will replace them and start there.

Thanks for the response

Dan
Danspeed1 is offline   Reply With Quote