GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 08-07-2017, 06:47 PM   #1
2000 GT
GAGT - Member

AKA: Nate
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT 3.4L
2000 GT Gettin' there
Burning smell from crank case after oil change

So I had to change my oil today because it smelled like worn out oil though it still had the consistency of honey. There was no oil loss (after about 4,000 miles and it doesnt seem like the oil is actually burnt or burning. Just the worn out smell. This was the new Mobil 1 extended performance (1 year/15,000 mile oil). However after I changed it and went around the block a few times and returning to home I took the cap off, it was steaming but had a foul burning smell to it. Since I didnt think anything of it and I got a deal on the oil I just went with it. I'm already tempted to switch back to the regular Mobil 1 oil to see if it would correct the problem but the burning smell wasnt apparent before the oil change.

Also the old oil filter was blazing hot and this was after the car was sitting for about an hour. Quite odd. No other indications, coolant is good no extreme temp changes it was just the filter being hot. The oil temp itself was ok though, what you would expect. So its unclear if the filter or oil is the problem or there is something wrong with the car itself. Any clue to what is going on here?

Last edited by 2000 GT; 08-07-2017 at 06:49 PM.
2000 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #2
2000 GT
GAGT - Member

2000 GT Gettin' there
I just realized I was using a new oil funnel to pour the oil in. I'm wondering if something got into the crank case that shouldnt be in there. I didnt see anything but.. because it didnt smell like the oil itself was burning. Id have to check it again to see if I could tell what kind of smell it is, unless its already gone by the next time I run it but I know it wasnt oil burning.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #3
young gun
GRAD SCHOOL FUN

AKA: Erik
Vehicle: 00' GAGT
young gun a trusted member
It really smells that bad? What makes you qualified to say its worn out oil, not trying to be a **** I'm just curious.

Car overheating?

Oil pressure?
1984 - Honda Nighthawk 700s - Oldest, quickest and quietess
young gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:37 AM   #4
2000 GT
GAGT - Member

2000 GT Gettin' there
I didnt state I was qualified. It was simply an observation. I wish I was a little more careful and prepared though because I wanted to send out an oil sample to see whats going on but the oil pan was dirty so the oil is already contaminated.

The main reason is the oil didnt smell right. Ive had the car for 15 years and it never did that. The reason I stated it smelling worn out is that I work in a factory and you can really smell old grease and/or oil that is around the machinery. And this is extremely old oil. Of course the oil in my car was nowhere near as bad but the oil from the car shouldnt have a similar smell unless ive driven on it for a long time.

As I said no high temps other than the oil filter being hot to the touch. I burned my hand a little from touching it. Had to use a rag to get it off. The oil itself already had cooled down. I only have an idiot light for the oil pressure but it never came on or any other warning lights.

Last edited by 2000 GT; 08-08-2017 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
2000 GT
GAGT - Member

2000 GT Gettin' there
It was burning plastic and the smell went away, engine still gets very hot though. Maybe just age or maybe coolant isnt getting to all the places? Or its the blend of Mobil 1 oil.