GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 PM   #1
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

AKA: Branden
Vehicle: 1999 grand am se
elementdrummer Still kinda new, but learning
How many lx9 3.5 swapped turbocharged cars on here??

I have done the lx9 swap with the 3400 top end as a quick fix for my failing engine about 3 years ago, but I want more... Instead of buying a new car I want to slightly build and turbo the lx9, but I am not too engine savy when it comes to major mods. Anyone in Minnesota that does this kind of work??

Any responses are much appreciated =)

Here is what I am working with, unfortunately the front bumper does not come off. Is a turbo setup possible even???

elementdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:56 PM   #2
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
You are gonna have to make that front bumper come off for intercooler fitting. Get rid of the whole body kit.

Yes it's possible. Very few people here have a turbo 3400/3500. Alot of people dont care for the work/money to make it that fast.

Milzymotorsports in ohio is your closest bet.

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, BRENTUNE, power commander 5, dyno tune, 198WHP.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Bein honest, I first looked at the picture and immediately frowned with disgust.

And wow it looks like whoever had the car before molded the front bumper to the front quarter fenders.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by elementdrummer View Post
I have done the lx9 swap with the 3400 top end as a quick fix for my failing engine about 3 years ago, but I want more... Instead of buying a new car I want to slightly build and turbo the lx9, but I am not too engine savy when it comes to major mods. Anyone in Minnesota that does this kind of work??

Any responses are much appreciated =)
Honestly, you would be getting yourself into a very expensive never ending project in exchange for very little performance increase or bragging rights in return. You could have issues with every aspect required to install and maintain a turbo on these cars so if you're not engine savvy and don't want to be working on the car fixing things all the time then I would not recommend a turbo.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 10:28 PM   #5
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Just like Aaron said, if you want a reliable GA keep it N/A.

Now if you have another car and have all the time in the world to work on it by all means.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

^ as long as its built right he wouldn't have issues. If you throw a turbo on a stock engine you're gonna have a bad time. You need mods to compensate for the added power. Plus if you build the motor up you can run more boost. Do a forged bottom end. Get your heads ported. Add a good cam and other things the car will be reliable with a good tune.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:47 AM   #7
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am Gt
G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Going to have a bad time with a turbo. Please. I have a 3400/3500 turboed GA. I get people stopping me all the time asking me about it. It's super fast and a whole lot fast then your would think. I got a tremendous amount of power gain from my turbo and my motor is holding strong at 16 pounds of boost. People who can't understand stand how to turbo these cars frowns on it. Let me tell you it was worth it.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /
DDM 5000K HID's / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
I was taking into account dealing with header issues and many other things related to installing and maintaining a turbo. For a non-engine savvy person like the OP, this could be a nightmare unless they're willing to learn and pay the price for their mistakes...somtimes a huge price. I would not recommend doing this kind of project on a daily driver because you won't have a car to drive if/when the crap hits the fan and something goes wrong.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #9
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I was taking into account dealing with header issues and many other things related to installing and maintaining a turbo. For a non-engine savvy person like the OP, this could be a nightmare unless they're willing to learn and pay the price for their mistakes...somtimes a huge price. I would not recommend doing this kind of project on a daily driver because you won't have a car to drive if/when the crap hits the fan and something goes wrong.
Yeah I would agree with that. You do really have to pay a ton of attention to detail and stay away from eBay trying to by parts. It does cost a good amount of money and time but you just have to do research. It really isn't as bad as you would think to do it. The headers are the major point but Mike at Milzy's makes them that are a direct fit and will work great. As the old saying goes " You have to pay to play". I have had some small issues with mine at the beginning but it was nothing major. It was just some stuff I wasn't used to doing but now I know it by the back of my hand. If you can make it work a turbo car is just so much fun to drive.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /

Old 08-08-2014, 05:41 PM   #10
geldartb
With the quickness

AKA: Brendan
Vehicle: 03 Outback H6
geldartb has made plenty of valid pointsgeldartb has made plenty of valid points
assuming your going to keep the 4t45 you are going to have to address that also.

haven't seen anyone mention the transmission but it does need to be addressed when adding power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMindz View Post
Well you shouldn't have left your laptop exposed when there was a chance of golden showers...
geldartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 15 Honda Accord Sport
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
I say sell the riced out Grand Am and buy something worth sinking money into to go fast.

2015 Honda Accord Sport Sedan: K24W
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:35 PM   #12
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

Milzy was what I was thinking to go to

Last edited by elementdrummer; 08-13-2014 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #13
elementdrummer
BlueRazor

All the molding was done 6 years ago to make it unique, I could live with cutting the bumper and fitting a hinge assembly to make it removable where needed.

I have not put a ton of money into my car guys, It was just my high school project 6 years ago that I have tinkered with. It gets tons of good comments at car shows and is set up to be reliable, but all that is left is the engine. I am not engine savy, but I am plenty mechanically inclined to fix any issues I have had with the car and was able to do the swap fairly easily.

The way I look at it, I would rather put 12K-15K into a car that has EVERYTHING else then buy a brand new car and start over. Plus insurance would be cheap. A built lx9 turbo setup would be what 9k and 6 speed swap 6k when the automatic goes out??? Makes sense to me.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 15 Honda Accord Sport
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
>not mechanically savvy

That pretty much says it all. Don't even bother with a turbo build.

>wanting to dump $15K into a $3K car

Look, you're not getting it. At all. Grands Ams aren't fast, you'll have a 13 second car at best, when the average sports car/sedan/wagon does 13's with ease...STOCK.

Wanna play it smart? Buy something like a G8, an Evo or MKV GTI/GLI. Start with a good platform, not a dead one with little support.

2015 Honda Accord Sport Sedan: K24W
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #15
AleroB888
not this alero

AKA: Greg
Vehicle: 1999 Alero V6
AleroB888 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
........ when the average sports car/sedan/wagon does 13's with ease...STOCK.....
What "average" sedans and wagons do 13's "with ease"... stock?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 AM   #16
blckgagt
~Turbocharged~

Vehicle: 99 GAGT, 07 Vette
blckgagt Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
>not mechanically savvy

That pretty much says it all. Don't even bother with a turbo build.

>wanting to dump $15K into a $3K car

Look, you're not getting it. At all. Grands Ams aren't fast, you'll have a 13 second car at best, when the average sports car/sedan/wagon does 13's with ease...STOCK.

Wanna play it smart? Buy something like a G8, an Evo or MKV GTI/GLI. Start with a good platform, not a dead one with little support.
I agree mostly with what you are saying. I was not bothered by the money I put in my car, but not being "mechanically savy" I would not advise you to jump into a built turbo car. It isn't a matter of handling the power, but more so handling an issue when, not if it comes up. I wish I would of know a lot more before I jumped into my situation. Do i regret it?...Hell no, but I have had to play a lot of catch up and waste a lot of time. Just don't expect to be able to take it to a shop and have it fixed no problem. Boosted GA's are pretty much unheard of around here and I'm sure anywhere, so they won't always have the best knowledge on repairing it, not to mention it can be expensive when something does go wrong (my issue at the moment).

If you decide to weigh your opinions and go for it. Good luck because they are a blast to drive and highly underestimated. Please don't forget to upgrade your suspension and brakes while you are add it. Going fast is great and all, but not being able to handle it or have the necessary brakes to stop you would not be advisable.
400whp 435wtq - MMS Race Block w/ 8.5:1 comp ratio, Eagle H-beam rods. MMS Stage 2 heads, Turbo Cam, chromemoly pushrods, GM gaskets. MMS 65 mm Turbo Kit w 60lb/hr injectors, Walbro fuel pump, powdercoated engine. MMS 3.29 4t65eHD conv., 3500 stall TC. Milzy headers w/ downpipe, magnaflow exhaust, FFP Pulley, f/r strut braces, Msd 8.5 SC wires, *** bodykit, Bilstein Coilovers. 17x8 AE 185s. Pioneer HU, B/A speakers. Baer brakes. Wot-tech engine mount. SB Rear Swaybar. ES Poly links
blckgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM   #17
GT_turbo
GAGT - Member

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 2004 Ford F-150
GT_turbo Still kinda new, but learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
What "average" sedans and wagons do 13's "with ease"... stock?
I picked up a low mileage Dodge Caliber SRT4 with low miles and it does 13's with a catless downpipe and Mopar Stage 1.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

But the car isnt stock.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #19
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Yeah if your not mechanically savvy I wouldn't even attempt this build. I built mine myself and I will say it holds up great. I am running a 4t45e with absolutely no issues. I love having a boosted GA because they are very underestimated because they are a GA. I have ropped a few people with it that didn't see it coming. Actually I raced a brand new SVT focus our whatever its called now today. Guess who ran away? Yeah I handed that Ford it's ass. The big issues with these boosted is the transmission is just not equipped enough to keep up top end. I was able to stay with a modified Mustang SVT until it hit a gear I just don't have. I know you guys will say I'm crazy but it's the truth.

Old 08-15-2014, 03:56 AM   #20
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

I can agree. Gearing can slow you down even when making good power. Its amazing how just the change of gears can really wake up a car... I can say that my alero going from the 4 speed 4t45 to a 6 speed F40. It REALLY woke the car up. And also made it a sht ton of fun.

Sounds like its time for a 6 speed swap GI CEO

And Focus ST, but who cares about those other then TDavis.