GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 10-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #1
Stefalicious
GAGT - Member

AKA: Stephanie
Vehicle: 99 Grand AM GT Coupe
Stefalicious Gettin' there
Driving a ticking time bomb. :(

Well my car has been running a lil hot for the past 2 months. I changed the thermostat and it ran at the perfect temp for a few weeks then started to run hot again. I had a hose that was getting really soft and it finally got a hole in it on Saturday, so on the way to work I had to stop 3 times in a 15 min drive to work because it kept red lining.

So on my lunch break I brought it to Mcgee for an oil change, for them to see why its overheating, why the ABS light is on, if the starter is going bad, blah....blah...blah. Anyways, they change the hole and the gasket around the hose, do an Engine flush then they get to the oil change and theres water in the oil pan , they call me and say that they think the intake manifold gasket is broken and there 99.9% sure that thats what it is, so I said fix it.

Then they call me back again and say that it may also be a blown head . They drive it around for a while and it wont overheat at all, so they think that it was overheating because of the hose (but the hose didnt leak till sat and it was overheating before that). They also said that since it wasnt overheating anymore that I shouldnt worry about the water in the oil pan for the moment because they dont know if its the head or the manifold gasket right now and they dont want me to waste my money paying them to take it appart for nothing. So they basically said to just drive it till something else happens making my car a ticking time bomb, and I dont like that.

SOOOOOOOOO what do you guys think may be the cause of water in the oil pan??? And if my car isnt overheating and running fine should I worry about it?? And if I leave it as is what can water in the oil pan over time do to the rest of the Engine????

Last edited by Stefalicious; 10-19-2010 at 01:27 PM.
Stefalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
If there was coolant in the oil pan I definitely wouldn't keep driving it around! That can screw up the lubrication in your engine and you could spin a rod bearing or worse... and instead of a gasket fix you could end up needing the entire engine replaced!

It doesn't really sound like a head gasket to me, but it's still possible. Usually though with a head gasket you get white smoke out the exhaust, and it will overheat quickly and pretty much every time you drive it. If it was just a leak somewhere (like the hose or the LIM gasket itself) then it could overheat because the cooling system wouldn't hold pressure like it's supposed to which lowers the boiling point. Once the coolant boils it will overheat.

I would get the LIM gasket replaced then change the oil.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
350rs
GAGT - Member

AKA: Tom
Vehicle: 01 GT, 89 L98 Camaro
350rs Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 350rs
Generally AAronns diagnosis is correct. But something strange happened to me ( not calling him wrong, just another instance), my head gaskets were out and i never noticed any smoke or anything out back. OR irregular heating other than it was getting a bit warm. but not overly fast. Only reason i knew is because of my plugs fouling out on cylinders 1 and 3 at the exact same time. sister cylinders both going at once? not much room for coincidence. ya know?

IF you are doing this job yourself and you have the extra cash and time.. pull the heads. have them machined, and replace the gaskets and bolts. Its minimal extra work, but a fair amount of extra money. Cost me just under 650 for the gaskets and machine work ( grinding valves, new seals, milling, blah blah blah) and about a week of 4 or 5 hours a night after work in 3 million degree heat.

Either way.. stop driving and at least replace that LIM gasket.
350rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Stefalicious
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
If there was coolant in the oil pan I definitely wouldn't keep driving it around! That can screw up the lubrication in your engine and you could spin a rod bearing or worse... and instead of a gasket fix you could end up needing the entire engine replaced!

It doesn't really sound like a head gasket to me, but it's still possible. Usually though with a head gasket you get white smoke out the exhaust, and it will overheat quickly and pretty much every time you drive it. If it was just a leak somewhere (like the hose or the LIM gasket itself) then it could overheat because the cooling system wouldn't hold pressure like it's supposed to which lowers the boiling point. Once the coolant boils it will overheat.

I would get the LIM gasket replaced then change the oil.
Well there was never smoke comeing out of the muffler, but it does overheat pretty quick and its everytime I drive it. Does it matter that the head gasket and the LIM were just replaced in 2007, can all that go bad again in just 3 years??
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350rs View Post
Generally AAronns diagnosis is correct. But something strange happened to me ( not calling him wrong, just another instance), my head gaskets were out and i never noticed any smoke or anything out back. OR irregular heating other than it was getting a bit warm. but not overly fast. Only reason i knew is because of my plugs fouling out on cylinders 1 and 3 at the exact same time. sister cylinders both going at once? not much room for coincidence. ya know?

IF you are doing this job yourself and you have the extra cash and time.. pull the heads. have them machined, and replace the gaskets and bolts. Its minimal extra work, but a fair amount of extra money. Cost me just under 650 for the gaskets and machine work ( grinding valves, new seals, milling, blah blah blah) and about a week of 4 or 5 hours a night after work in 3 million degree heat.

Either way.. stop driving and at least replace that LIM gasket.
Im not going to drive it till I find out whats wrong with it, because if its just the LIM then thats a lot bettet then having to need a whole new Engine. I am bringing it to a friend of mines house tomorrow who is a mechanic and hes going to run a few tests on it himself to see which of the 2 problems it is. Although he did say that he thinks its the head not the LIM because he said that from the location of the LIM that water cant get into the oil pan, is that right??
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 PM   #5
01GPGT
Curse you Red Baron!

AKA: Tom H.
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
01GPGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
i can speak from experiance that's how i got my car so cheap. found out the low compression is due to a warped head (keep getting compretion gasses in the coolant)

and yes it could go bad in just three years could of been installed incorrectly or damged at install

1992 LeBaron Convertible 3.0L: trans cooler : Thrush turbo muffler : GR-2 struts : WAI
01GPGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #6
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2005 Honda Accord EX-L
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
It's possible the LIM has gone bad again.

Question is, did you use the revised metal LIM gaskets or the cheap, dinky plastic ones when it was first replaced?

I'm with Aaron, it sounds like an LIM issue, and it's been going on for quite awhile if it's leaking into the oil already.

2005 Honda Accord EX-L Coupe: K24A4
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
Follow my unique blog on FB ------> Mighty the Armadillo
Problem, ricers?
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #7
Stefalicious
GAGT - Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01GPGT View Post
i can speak from experiance that's how i got my car so cheap. found out the low compression is due to a warped head (keep getting compretion gasses in the coolant)

and yes it could go bad in just three years could of been installed incorrectly or damged at install
So basically both of those reasons would be THEM ****ing it up when they put it on?? Of course I cant prove it and they only have a warranty for a yr.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
It's possible the LIM has gone bad again.

Question is, did you use the revised metal LIM gaskets or the cheap, dinky plastic ones when it was first replaced?

I'm with Aaron, it sounds like an LIM issue, and it's been going on for quite awhile if it's leaking into the oil already.
Idk what they used the 1st time. Idk, my friend thinks its the head, he said that the location of the LIM wont allow water to get into the oil pan.