Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - News > Personal Vehicle News

Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

AKA: Jon
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT1
lone_wolf025 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to lone_wolf025
Hole in headers from S&S. What's the best cheapest option?

S&S is out of business so I can't get replacement parts. So, I'm stuck with a few options. The only way I can repair the pipes is to remove them from the car and at that point I might as well put new ones on.

So what do you guys think would be best?

I could probably get a pair of pacesetters but it'll be a pita to install I'm sure and I'd have to get my current DP custom fitted.

Another option is to simply purchase stock manifolds and install them, but at that point I might as well go back to stock and trade/sell my UIM and 65mm TB combo or trade it for stock parts.

Third option would be to attempt to find replacement S&S parts second hand.

I don't plan to keep the car longer than I have to, but I'm nowhere near gainfully employed enough to think about getting a new car right now.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Never ask why people do strange/stupid things...the answer just makes it worse...

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone else
Ahhh but that would be in the land of "Makes Sense"...you forget that we live in the land of "DUHHH"
lone_wolf025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 11:44 AM   #2
Mac0083
User account under probation

AKA: Mac
Vehicle: 99 GT Coupe
Mac0083 Gettin' there
it depends on how bad they are. if it's just one bad spot, or the whole thing's shot.
you could take it to a muffler shop, they'd spot weld the bad spot, then you could spray some rust inhibitors on it to keep things from getting worse.

i'm sure any muffler shop could mate the pacesetters to your existing downpipe.

you ain't gonna find replacement parts for s/s headers. but what part went bad that you are trying to replace? there are universal parts and ways to make things happen.

Last edited by Mac0083; 09-13-2010 at 11:48 AM.
Mac0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

Apparently the only way I can even figure out if it can be fixed is to remove the headers and bring it in. It's the rear pipe up by the firewall that's bad. I'll take pics once I get it off.

Never ask why people do strange/stupid things...the answer just makes it worse...

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Ahhh but that would be in the land of "Makes Sense"...you forget that we live in the land of "DUHHH"
Old 09-13-2010, 01:19 PM   #4
lastryghts
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2002GT
lastryghts Gettin' there
Did it get a hole where the front crossover pipe meets up with the rear primary?
lastryghts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastryghts View Post
Did it get a hole where the front crossover pipe meets up with the rear primary?
I'm not sure how to describe it without a picture, but I think you're right. The front crossover pipe wraps around and comes almost right up against the pipe for one of the cylinders. There I found there are two holes, one right across from the other. I'm gonna try and get a picture today and post it up.

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Old 09-15-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
lastryghts
GAGT - Member

lastryghts Gettin' there
Yep that's where mine had a hole. The first set had a weld there, but the replacement I got didn't. Its like the eld broke after to many hot/cold cycles.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #7
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

That would explain why there's two perfect holes there. Think it could be fixed?

Here's pics of it.

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 AM   #8
caraudiodave
Boring old man

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: '13 Camry hybrid
caraudiodave Gettin' there
im sure if can be fixed. what are the headers made of? maybe S&S didnt use the right material for welding. im not a welder but I know that theres different types of welding and different materials that vary depending on the job.
2013 Toyota Camry hybrid: Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX, Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.3 (300 x 2), Phoenix Gold ZPA0.5 (1000 x 1), Dynaudio MD100 (1" tweeters), Dynaudio MW160 (6.5" mids), Eclipse SW8812 (12" aluminum cone subwoofer)
caraudiodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
Mac0083
User account under probation

AKA: Mac
Vehicle: 99 GT Coupe
Mac0083 Gettin' there
the material is just mild steel
Mac0083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #10
lastryghts
GAGT - Member

lastryghts Gettin' there
Yep that is exactly like mine was. We think they just did a quick tack there for assembly, but since the material never really heated up the weld just cracks out after a while. Mine were coated so we didn't attempt to fix them, I was able to get a replacement right befor S&S went under. Otherwise one of the guys at work that did welding said they should be aesy enough to weld up.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:38 PM   #11
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastryghts View Post
Yep that is exactly like mine was. We think they just did a quick tack there for assembly, but since the material never really heated up the weld just cracks out after a while. Mine were coated so we didn't attempt to fix them, I was able to get a replacement right befor S&S went under. Otherwise one of the guys at work that did welding said they should be aesy enough to weld up.
Alright. Thanks for the info. I've got both sets off at the moment, but only the front set is out of the engine bay. I'm having a hell of time getting the rears out. I've removed everything I can think of that's in the way but I'm having trouble with the stud the alternator mounts next to and then it gets jammed on the underside. I spent the better part of 2hrs trying to get the thing out. Any one have any pointers?

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Old 09-18-2010, 06:40 AM   #12
lvemy3100
Im President Charley

AKA: mp
Vehicle: 01 car
lvemy3100 a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to lvemy3100
Pull the bracket and tensioner and that will get rid of the stud in the way . Call if you need to again. I would have told you that yesterday but I thought you already did so.

You want more power? You need MP Racing!

------

Now drink with me deeply of the bourbon, scotch, and rye until such time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find, and beat the a**es of, the nonbelievers who ruined my feast.
lvemy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

I'll be calling again...I tried pulling the bracket but have no clue where all the bolts are.

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Old 09-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #14
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

Nevermind. The last bolt holding it in was the one for the tensioner itself. Got the rear pipes out and I'll be bringing them to a welder soon.

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Old 10-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #15
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

So I got the pipes fixed and I realized that I really have no clue what I'm doing. I must've taken the pipes off and put them back on 3 times because I thought it was leaking. What happened was that after like 30 seconds of running the engine, smoke would appear and drifting up from around the headers. I saw it and assumed it was exhaust.

After the last time installing them and repositioning the trimmed stock manifold gaskets to reflect how they were supposed to be (probably wouldn't have mattered) I started the car again and got the smoke again. This time my dad (a former hot rodder himself) was around and when I pointed out the smoke he pointed out to me that it wasn't exhaust. It never occurred to me that after all the handling the pipes would accumulate skin oils and they would burn off once the pipes got hot and thus make smoke.

Had I been thinking clearly I might have realized exhaust leaking from the headers wouldn't slowly drift up from the pipes like smoke from a lit cigarette. If my dad hadn't been there I'd probably still be tearing off the pipes trying to figure it out. Maybe I should leave work like this to other less emotional people .

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote:
Old 10-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #16
lvemy3100
Im President Charley

AKA: mp
Vehicle: 01 car
lvemy3100 a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to lvemy3100
If you were closer to me I would have just come over and given you a hand but I am sure you probably knew that by now

You want more power? You need MP Racing!

------

Now drink with me deeply of the bourbon, scotch, and rye until such time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find, and beat the a**es of, the nonbelievers who ruined my feast.
lvemy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
slw240sx
Elitest Prick

AKA: jon
Vehicle: 240sx
slw240sx Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf025 View Post
So I got the pipes fixed and I realized that I really have no clue what I'm doing. I must've taken the pipes off and put them back on 3 times because I thought it was leaking. What happened was that after like 30 seconds of running the engine, smoke would appear and drifting up from around the headers. I saw it and assumed it was exhaust.

After the last time installing them and repositioning the trimmed stock manifold gaskets to reflect how they were supposed to be (probably wouldn't have mattered) I started the car again and got the smoke again. This time my dad (a former hot rodder himself) was around and when I pointed out the smoke he pointed out to me that it wasn't exhaust. It never occurred to me that after all the handling the pipes would accumulate skin oils and they would burn off once the pipes got hot and thus make smoke.

Had I been thinking clearly I might have realized exhaust leaking from the headers wouldn't slowly drift up from the pipes like smoke from a lit cigarette. If my dad hadn't been there I'd probably still be tearing off the pipes trying to figure it out. Maybe I should leave work like this to other less emotional people .

dont fell dumb, honestly almost every one thinks that same thing. i have to convince customers all the time that the smoke from the headers is just oils and stuff burning off. people seem to freak out alot over it, but its perfectly normal for them to smoke even heavily sometimes depending on what got on them while handling them. remember exhaust leaks are most always audible more so then visual. snapping and ticking noises are what you have to listen for.
slw240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #18
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvemy3100 View Post
If you were closer to me I would have just come over and given you a hand but I am sure you probably knew that by now
Oh yea def. If you were local I'd have had you over to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slw240sx View Post
dont fell dumb, honestly almost every one thinks that same thing. i have to convince customers all the time that the smoke from the headers is just oils and stuff burning off. people seem to freak out alot over it, but its perfectly normal for them to smoke even heavily sometimes depending on what got on them while handling them. remember exhaust leaks are most always audible more so then visual. snapping and ticking noises are what you have to listen for.
I do have a ticking probably from the crossover pipe (its in that area) and not having the donut washer placed exactly right. Not sure if its worth messing with or if I can just leave it alone or not.

Oh btw do I need that plastic deflector on the engine side of the radiator fans?

14.841 @91.56mph

Quote: