GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 08-05-2010, 03:53 PM   #41
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am Gt
G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Well I got my code off when I cleaned my MAF sensor and i am still having the tranni slam when I put it into drive.

When I installed the header's I took off the UIM, fuel rail, injectors, injector harness, CAI, throttle body, EGR valve etc...

I just can't stop the tranni from slamming when I put it into drive and it never did that before I installed the headers. Is it possible something is not wired right, not plugged in right? I did have a problem with my fuel rail leaking fuel but I think I got that figured out.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /
DDM 5000K HID's / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"

Last edited by G.I.Ceo; 08-05-2010 at 04:05 PM.
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #42
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
So have you ever had your codes ran? it still sounds like the MAF still isn't working or isn't working right. every time my trans has shifted really hard if from the MAF sensor either being bad or not plugged in.
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM   #43
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
I'm not so sure about that, I got a lot of false knock going, between having the TOG's (which aren't sealed all that good on mine) and the Magnuson forming a little echo chamber in there. I believe the sensitivity on those devices is higher than it needs to be, even for stock...

just my $.02
Well, I'm pretty sure about it. I've read up on the operation of the knock sensor online and in the manual so I know how it works, and I've tested it myself. I've gotten knock while driving so I know it's functioning, then tried banging on the exhaust, headers, and the engine itself with all kinds of tools while someone watched the knock sensor.... and it never reacted AT ALL.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #44
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA2000GTSpeed View Post
So have you ever had your codes ran? it still sounds like the MAF still isn't working or isn't working right. every time my trans has shifted really hard if from the MAF sensor either being bad or not plugged in.
Well it's plugged in and I cleaned it last night and plugged it back in and same result. Can you scan a code without the SES light on? And no I have not had it scanned yet.

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /

Old 08-05-2010, 05:01 PM   #45
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yeah, just unplugging the pcm to clear the code isn't really helping anything. You need to know what that code is to have some idea where the problem is coming from. Take it to an auto parts store and ask them if they have a code scanner you can use. Most will do it for free. Even if the code has been cleared and the SES light is off, it usually still saves the code in the history for a while.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:08 PM   #46
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Yeah, just unplugging the pcm to clear the code isn't really helping anything. You need to know what that code is to have some idea where the problem is coming from. Take it to an auto parts store and ask them if they have a code scanner you can use. Most will do it for free. Even if the code has been cleared and the SES light is off, it usually still saves the code in the history for a while.
O.k cool I will do that tomorrow.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #47
AleroB888
not this alero

AKA: Greg
Vehicle: 1999 Alero V6
AleroB888 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure about it. I've read up on the operation of the knock sensor online and in the manual so I know how it works, and I've tested it myself. I've gotten knock while driving so I know it's functioning, then tried banging on the exhaust, headers, and the engine itself with all kinds of tools while someone watched the knock sensor.... and it never reacted AT ALL.
And in my case, if I don't make a certain "modification" to the knock sensor circuit/setup, the thing will go to max KR for anything above 2500 rpm @ WOT, and put out almost lower power than stock.....

Probably applies only to my car, but what I'm saying is, don't rule it out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 PM   #48
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
O.K I forgot to post what I found out. The car threw the code P0107 which was a low voltage MAP sensor. I have yet tried to rewire this or to see if I pulled a wire when I was reinstalling it. Is it possible I may have a pulled wire or a dead sensor?

Old 09-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #49
stewartfn18
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: David
Vehicle: 04 vette, 14 R6
stewartfn18 a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Ceo View Post
O.K I forgot to post what I found out. The car threw the code P0107 which was a low voltage MAP sensor. I have yet tried to rewire this or to see if I pulled a wire when I was reinstalling it. Is it possible I may have a pulled wire or a dead sensor?
loose wire
Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM   #50
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartfn18 View Post
loose wire
Well I will pull the intake off tomorrow to get at it. I had to do that anyways to fix a small leak on the fuel rail. I just hope it doesn't turn in to a huge thing again. I have but a ton of work into it and have yet to be able to drive it because of that sensor.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:34 PM   #51
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Well I got the issue fixed. The problem was the map sensor had a short in the harness and was messing everything up.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #52
roadie
GAGT - Member

AKA: Gerald
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT SC/T
roadie Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to roadie
what did you have to do to fix the short you were having? just plug it in more carefully? or?
roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 03:10 PM   #53
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
I pulled a wire out of the harness. I cut out the short and soldered a new wire in were I pulled it apart and it fixed it right away.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #54
roadie
GAGT - Member

AKA: Gerald
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT SC/T
roadie Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to roadie
thought it might have been something like that. I am having a similar problem with the wire harness on my MAF, sometimes it's making good contact and sometimes it isn't and I think it might be one of the wires in the harness not making a solid connection all the time anymore and I have to be careful when I touch it, but if you wiggle the wires and get them in the right spot it will work just fine again.
roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:43 PM   #55
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe

G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Yeah that sounds to me like you either have a pinched wire or or possibly one that is cut.