GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #1
damname
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: eric
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: portsmouth ohio
Posts: 4
Vehicle: 1999 grand am
damname Gettin' there
Coolant gushing after car shuts off

I read the sticky about coolant issues but mine is a bit different i think.

Lately the car has been running a lil bit hotter than normal. Normal is 200 and hotter is 215. After i shut the car off it pukes close to a gallon on coolant out of the overflow hose. After the puking episode the reservoir is empty and it will take close to a gallon. The fans dont appear to be kicking on either. Its dark now or i would try the a/c trick on the fans. I have no idea at what temp the fans should be kicking on.

The hoses are all hot. I have checked the fuses but no idea how to check relays. Anyone ever had this problem?
damname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #2
350rs
GAGT - Member
 
350rs's Avatar
 
AKA: Tom
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 31
Posts: 547
Vehicle: 01 GT, 89 L98 Camaro
350rs Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 350rs
if your fans arent running and you do a lot of in down driving that can deff effect temp. Just how hot is it getting? and if your putting that much in, youve certainly got a huge problem that needs to be fixed before it gets worse.
350rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
damname
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: eric
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: portsmouth ohio
Posts: 4
Vehicle: 1999 grand am
damname Gettin' there
its running at about 215 now. normally it runs at 200.
damname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
damname
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: eric
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: portsmouth ohio
Posts: 4
Vehicle: 1999 grand am
damname Gettin' there
one thing i forgot to mention is that the coolant was boiling hot. you could head it boiling as it was backing up in the res bottle and then puking out the overflow. its since pushed all the coolant out of the system and i replaced it with water till i figure it out. but it is getting hot enough to boil.
damname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
350rs
GAGT - Member
 
350rs's Avatar
 
AKA: Tom
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 31
Posts: 547
Vehicle: 01 GT, 89 L98 Camaro
350rs Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 350rs
well sir. you have a serious problem. you shouldnt drive it much untill you figure it out. if at all. make sure your thermostat is opening and that your water pump is working. if you have to, turn your AC on for a bit to get your fans going and then turn it off. Never run just straight water. If its as bad as you say it is you need to just not drive it.
350rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
icecats87
GAGT - Member
 
icecats87's Avatar
 
AKA: Dylan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lafayette,colorado
Age: 26
Posts: 875
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am Gt
icecats87 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by damname View Post
I read the sticky about coolant issues but mine is a bit different i think.

Lately the car has been running a lil bit hotter than normal. Normal is 200 and hotter is 215. After i shut the car off it pukes close to a gallon on coolant out of the overflow hose. After the puking episode the reservoir is empty and it will take close to a gallon. The fans dont appear to be kicking on either. Its dark now or i would try the a/c trick on the fans. I have no idea at what temp the fans should be kicking on.

The hoses are all hot. I have checked the fuses but no idea how to check relays. Anyone ever had this problem?
Fans don't turn on till i think 232 degrees im pretty sure its the pressure cap, try getting a new one around 15-17 psi
icecats87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
350rs
GAGT - Member
 
350rs's Avatar
 
AKA: Tom
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 31
Posts: 547
Vehicle: 01 GT, 89 L98 Camaro
350rs Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 350rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecats87 View Post
Fans don't turn on till i think 232 degrees im pretty sure its the pressure cap, try getting a new one around 15-17 psi
good idea. i hear that they cause quiet the problem with these cars. DO NOT go to oreilly or auto bone however. I got one from each and neither of them fit properlly. Head up to Jim Trenary or something on 70.

oops. nvm. i was thinkin you were somebody else. but the fact still stands. go to a dealer.
350rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
damname
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: eric
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: portsmouth ohio
Posts: 4
Vehicle: 1999 grand am
damname Gettin' there
hey all thanks for the replies!

i sent the olady up to autozone and she came back with a new reservoir assembly including the cap and sensor for 35.99. not bad me thinks. installed it without a hitch and flushed the piss out of the rad. filled it up with 60/40 green and let it heat up. went back outside and it was at 235 and the fans were going full blast. it cooled down to about 215ish so i shut it off and no puking. i drove the hell out of it and still no puking and the temp is riding slightly over 200.

i am a bit concerned though. i seem to have taken a slight HP hit through all of this. it runs fine but it seems a little weak in the knees. i used to be able to roast the tires and now all i can get is a lil squeak. i may have gotten some bad gas or something. i dunno.
damname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #9
350rs
GAGT - Member
 
350rs's Avatar
 
AKA: Tom
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 31
Posts: 547
Vehicle: 01 GT, 89 L98 Camaro
350rs Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 350rs
could have warped a head or something. Keep and eye on all of your fluids.
350rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
icecats87
GAGT - Member
 
icecats87's Avatar
 
AKA: Dylan
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lafayette,colorado
Age: 26
Posts: 875
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am Gt
icecats87 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by damname View Post
hey all thanks for the replies!

i sent the olady up to autozone and she came back with a new reservoir assembly including the cap and sensor for 35.99. not bad me thinks. installed it without a hitch and flushed the piss out of the rad. filled it up with 60/40 green and let it heat up. went back outside and it was at 235 and the fans were going full blast. it cooled down to about 215ish so i shut it off and no puking. i drove the hell out of it and still no puking and the temp is riding slightly over 200.

i am a bit concerned though. i seem to have taken a slight HP hit through all of this. it runs fine but it seems a little weak in the knees. i used to be able to roast the tires and now all i can get is a lil squeak. i may have gotten some bad gas or something. i dunno.
Thought it would be the cap its always the smallest things that's wrong =)
icecats87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member
 
GA2000GTSpeed's Avatar
 
AKA: Josh
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Freeman Missouri
Age: 28
Posts: 411
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
yah if you leave the cap off coolant will boil, when liquids are under pressure they have a higher boiling point.
__________________
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
MKEGuy
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: Robert
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 13
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Coupe
MKEGuy Gettin' there
I have this exact problem after my 3500 swap! Didn't even think it could be the cap! I'll be off to the parts store in the morning!

Yes I know this is a really old thread but I'm bringing it back up for others to read in case they find themselves in the same situation!
MKEGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #13
94cutlassvert
here for the pizza
 
AKA: Jake
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: mesa, az
Age: 27
Posts: 229
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT
94cutlassvert Gettin' there
was my problem yesturday also hit 230 in the mountains parked the car let it cool and i just happened to have a extra tank in the trunk (lucky me) swaped the cap took off and it didnt pass 210 the rest of the trip
94cutlassvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com
RedlineGoods.com