GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 12-07-2002, 03:47 AM   #1
AFdefender
I practice safe sex!

Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Coupe
AFdefender Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to AFdefender Send a message via Yahoo to AFdefender
cai ram air hybrid??

Ok i hope this is not overly stupid but im curiouse. There has long been a debate as to wether or not the cai is better than the ram air and stock flat filter Im curiouse to know if its possible to somehow keep the stock intake set up (ram air) and rig the air box in such a way that you could put a cone filter in place of the square flat filter. Its my thinking that the ram air has certain advantages as its drawing air from outside the car to the air box not hidden inside the engine bay like w/ the cai. Is this just crazy talk?? a few questions 1. is it possible 2. has it been done/ attempted 3. how would i fit the cone inthe box and hook it up

My theory is that i could keep the benifit of drawing the air from outside the car only and delivering it staight to the air box while also incorporating the benefit of the cone filter. I realy dont know much about this stuff im going off very VERY basic knowledge here so can you guys set my head on staight either for or against this idea. thanks for helping a not so car savy guy like myself
Old 12-07-2002, 05:53 AM   #2
mr_eh
Hi.

AKA: Pasquale
Vehicle: 05 Srt-4 / 00GrandAmSE
mr_eh has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to mr_eh
are you saying putting a filter along the way that the ram air air takes in? or having two seperate intakes?

as i understand theres only so much air you can take in then its just useless... either way, its not gonna do much for the car...
mr_eh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 10:57 AM   #3
SilverEcstasy
boosted..finally!

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 08.5 MS3 GT
SilverEcstasy Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to SilverEcstasy
You can do all you want to get more cold air into the car. But even if you setup something where the car is getting substantial amounts of air, its only going to use so much of it at a time, unless you have heads and other engine work to fully take advantage of the increase in air. Engine mods work along with each other. If you're gonna increase how much air it gets, you need to increase how much air it can expell in a quick amount of time in order to have a nice, free flowing air/intake system.
SilverEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:39 PM   #4
Sternie
Back-to-Back Champs!

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sternie Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Sternie
i did post something like this a while ago.. i think it's what you're getting at...

http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showt...&threadid=2011
Sternie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 03:10 AM   #5
AFdefender
I practice safe sex!

Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Coupe
AFdefender Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to AFdefender Send a message via Yahoo to AFdefender
Sternie your right on. I was toying with the idea of putting a cone filter in the air box instead of the flat filter. I understand that if you have more air coming in you have to in turn do thigns to the rest of the engine to get the air through and out of the engine, i was just curiouse if this would be a good way of getting more cool air in, the rest of the stuff would follow. BTW this isnt anything i was thinking of doing soon/at all I just wanted to know if it could be done and what the effects might be to see if this may be something i could do in the future to help the car.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
i_ammetal
Awww Piss!

AKA: Clifton
Vehicle: 06 Grand Prix GXP
i_ammetal Gettin' there
ok noob throwing ideas around here....

I think the "ice box" idea would work great, with a custom sized box, and really tight seals around the box to the hood....

But another idea...

Let all that air from the hood just vent into the engine. Not going into the airbox. Yes, im sure it will get very dirty and most likely a horrible idea for wet/winter weather.. but would keep it pretty cool at higher speeds... if it doesnt rip your all your wires out and so fourth.....

What if you were still looking for ram air, just not from the hood! What if one just took off the driver side fog light, used some kind of hose or piping to direct that air (tightly sealed of course) into a cone with a open top??
(i.e. NOT a cone with a closed top of course, what about one like those universal spectre cones you can get at autozone??)

The postive affects would have to be way more air into the intake, thus more power right?

Negitives... obviously not good for winter/wet weather
Poor filtration because of the overload of air being pushed into the filter....
Or could all that forced air affect the rest being sucked in from the sides of the cone...?

Ive seen this used on a fair amount of tuners....
Is this a 7th grade idea or could this work???
i_ammetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
cardude007617
mmm turbo boost

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2005 WRX Sedan 5 Speed
cardude007617 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to cardude007617 Send a message via Yahoo to cardude007617
your engine can only use so much air. and with your idea, it would still be "sucking" in air and not undergoing boost. so really, it doesnt matter how much air you can coax in, it wont make a difference on our cars.

now a supercharged or turbo charged car is different, so much air is being pushed in that there is "boost" instead of a vaccum which occurs on normally aspirated cars.
Tanabe Touring 3in catback, ERZ bellmouth catted downpipe, catless uppipe, SPT Pink springs, SPT short shifter, SPT intake, stereo, Cobb Accessport stage II, Prosport boost/oil temp/volt gauges, 35%, 17x8 Rota Torques, F/R strut braces

It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
zukiracer19
BoOsTiN'

AKA: slograndam
Vehicle: ev0m0de
zukiracer19 Still kinda new, but learning
i've thought of this on my own time, i have my front 2 scoops bringing air into a custom box i'm making along with custom heat sheild im designing, i will post pics. i'm using a large fat cone filter. looks the same as pic
zukiracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
cardude007617
mmm turbo boost

Send a message via AIM to cardude007617 Send a message via Yahoo to cardude007617
alright, go ahead waste your time... ill enjoy my cai that brings more power anyways
Tanabe Touring 3in catback, ERZ bellmouth catted downpipe, catless uppipe, SPT Pink springs, SPT short shifter, SPT intake, stereo, Cobb Accessport stage II, Prosport boost/oil temp/volt gauges, 35%, 17x8 Rota Torques, F/R strut braces

Old 05-28-2008, 09:54 PM   #10
i_ammetal
Awww Piss!

i_ammetal Gettin' there
be careful on the size of the cone, ive read alot of mixed results

def. waiting to see the pics though
Old 05-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #11
Elderas
It's Finnaly Melting

AKA: Raz
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am SE
Elderas Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to Elderas Send a message via Yahoo to Elderas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
your engine can only use so much air. and with your idea, it would still be "sucking" in air and not undergoing boost. so really, it doesnt matter how much air you can coax in, it wont make a difference on our cars.

now a supercharged or turbo charged car is different, so much air is being pushed in that there is "boost" instead of a vaccum which occurs on normally aspirated cars.
This post is pure win

You shouldnt be concerned with how much air you can funnel into this box, rather be concerned with the lenght of the WAI / CAI

from what i hear, many companys like AEM, Injen etc etc, engineer their intakes by adding a 1 inch lenght to their intakes untill they get the peak hp, once they find it they stop, and thats the product your lookin at.

Thus buying a 10 dollar ebay intake or a 300 dollar AEM intake can have different results. Though they wouldnt be substantial. Id say having colder air would shave you maybe 2 hundreths off your 1/4 time

Just some food for thought, Im not quite sure about this maybe someone can disprove me
Elderas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #12
cardude007617
mmm turbo boost

thank you elderas, i only said what has been said many times before. RAM AIR doesnt create BOOST, and the gains are especially minimal on a car with the engine transversely mounted.

oh and btw, ibtl

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM   #13
bu01
I own Sikmindz

AKA: gilbert
Vehicle: 02 WS6 326rwhp/346rwtq
bu01 Still kinda new, but learning
"ram air" in my ws6 and your gagt is a gimmick from gm, its a joke really, stick with a CAI and be done with it
Old 05-29-2008, 07:17 AM   #14
stillriza
does not compute

AKA: Reds
Vehicle: 00110110101
stillriza a trusted member
Send a message via MSN to stillriza
i'd still like to see a pic.

"If the Start Windows Restart when Windows starts check box is checked Windows Restart will start automatically every time Windows is started. - Actual excerpt from a windows program help file"
stillriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #15
i_ammetal
Awww Piss!

i_ammetal Gettin' there
its obvious the ram air doesnt really do $hit, but allowing the cone to breath more air should provide a little cooler air especially at higher speeds..

so far im not impressed with my engine temp. with the new CAI
all the tubing close to the throttle body gets really hot....
thinking about wrapping it with some insulation and still trying the fog light setup.

will post pics soon
Old 06-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #16
jbeard
Firefighter

AKA: Jonathan
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SC/T
jbeard Still kinda new, but learning
i am using a cone filter... it's just behind my battery, and i have the ram air duct plumbed into the open end of the filter with some flex piping... it works pretty well... i tried it with just the filter first... and then hooked up the ram air... i could tell a difference
jbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:20 PM   #17
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
butt dyno
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #18
stillriza
does not compute

AKA: Reds
Vehicle: 00110110101
stillriza a trusted member
Send a message via MSN to stillriza
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_ammetal View Post
its obvious the ram air doesnt really do $hit, but allowing the cone to breath more air should provide a little cooler air especially at higher speeds..

so far im not impressed with my engine temp. with the new CAI
all the tubing close to the throttle body gets really hot....
thinking about wrapping it with some insulation and still trying the fog light setup.

will post pics soon
there was a post on one of the grandprix forums, about a guy with his intercooled cai. Basically he had a 3" intake that went through a 4" pcv or abs pipe. His idea was the 4" pipe would soak up the heat while the inner tube would stay cool. He had holes and stuff on the outer tube to vent hot air and such..but i can't find the post on this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeard View Post
i am using a cone filter... it's just behind my battery, and i have the ram air duct plumbed into the open end of the filter with some flex piping... it works pretty well... i tried it with just the filter first... and then hooked up the ram air... i could tell a difference
i'd like to see a pic

"If the Start Windows Restart when Windows starts check box is checked Windows Restart will start automatically every time Windows is started. - Actual excerpt from a windows program help file"
stillriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
notsoaveragej0e
Causes a ruckus

AKA: Joe
Vehicle: Maligoat
notsoaveragej0e has disabled reputation
No one said anything when this thread was brought back from the dead? Dang, 2002 was AGES ago!
Old 06-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #20
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
We've learned to accept it..because atleast they're searching for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote