GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe
 
G.I.Ceo's Avatar
 
AKA: Randy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Age: 38
Posts: 788
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am Gt
G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
What Optima Battery Part #

Does anyone know what style of optima battery our GA's take?

I think it is a 75 but was not sure.

Also should I buy a yellow top or red top?

I have no accessories it's all motor mod's.

Thanks again.
__________________
2002 Grand Am GT Turbocharged

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /
DDM 5000K HID's / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
germaphobicmonk
GAGT - Member
 
germaphobicmonk's Avatar
 
AKA: Zak
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Danville, KY
Posts: 134
Vehicle: 2008 Chrysler 300C
germaphobicmonk Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.I.Ceo View Post
Does anyone know what style of optima battery our GA's take?

I think it is a 75 but was not sure.

Also should I buy a yellow top or red top?

I have no accessories it's all motor mod's.

Thanks again.
I think it's a 75 too.

A yellow top is a deep cycle battery, meant for sound systems, etc.

a red top is meant to give you a better start.
germaphobicmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
stewartfn18
GAGT - Senior Member
 
stewartfn18's Avatar
 
AKA: David
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oldsmar,FL
Age: 30
Posts: 2,049
Vehicle: 04 vette, 14 R6
stewartfn18 a trusted member
yes its a 75-25
__________________
MODS: Not Enough
stewartfn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
OptimaJim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Hi Randy,

I noticed your question and wanted to offer some assistance. Unfortunately, there are more than 60 different types of 12-volt automotive batteries and we do not offer batteries that we consider “direct-fit” replacements for every vehicle, including your Grand Am. However, many Grand Am owners have successfully used our batteries in applications that we consider “custom fitments” and may be able to offer input as to which batteries they used and how they safely mounted them.

You can find all the specifications for our YellowTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/specs.php and our RedTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/specs.php

If your vehicle is stock, a RedTop should work just fine. YellowTops are recommended for vehicles with significant electrical demands, like large stereos, aftermarket alarms and auxiliary lighting. Any custom application should consider these guidelines-

• Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have. This was a specific concern with our Group 75/25 batteries in your Grand Am.
• Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
• Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using.
• Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
• Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
• Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

I appreciate your interest in our batteries. If you have any other battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe
 
G.I.Ceo's Avatar
 
AKA: Randy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Age: 38
Posts: 788
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am Gt
G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimaJim View Post
Hi Randy,

I noticed your question and wanted to offer some assistance. Unfortunately, there are more than 60 different types of 12-volt automotive batteries and we do not offer batteries that we consider “direct-fit” replacements for every vehicle, including your Grand Am. However, many Grand Am owners have successfully used our batteries in applications that we consider “custom fitments” and may be able to offer input as to which batteries they used and how they safely mounted them.

You can find all the specifications for our YellowTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...wtop/specs.php and our RedTop batteries here- http://www.optimabatteries.com/optim...dtop/specs.php

If your vehicle is stock, a RedTop should work just fine. YellowTops are recommended for vehicles with significant electrical demands, like large stereos, aftermarket alarms and auxiliary lighting. Any custom application should consider these guidelines-

• Hood Clearance – There should be at least ¾” clearance between the top of the battery terminals and the underside of the hood. When we do our fitment studies we put a ball of clay on top of the post, and VERY carefully close the hood to make sure that nothing makes contact. By measuring how much the clay is squeezed down when the hood is closed, we can know how much hood clearance we have. This was a specific concern with our Group 75/25 batteries in your Grand Am.
• Trunk/Interior Mounting – If your battery is mounted inside the passenger compartment or trunk, the battery must be vented to the outside of the vehicle. Optima group 27, 51, 78, 34C, and 31 batteries all have ports for connecting a vent hose.
• Side Terminals – Optima 34/78, D34/78, 75/25 and D75/25 batteries have both top and side terminals. If you are using one of these batteries in a vehicle that uses the top terminals, it is important to ensure that the side terminals can not come into contact with anything metallic (for example, the firewall or fender well), thereby causing a short. We suggest keeping the post protectors on the terminals you are not using.
• Battery Modifications – Cutting, drilling, trimming or otherwise modifying your Optima battery may present a safety hazard and will void the warranty.
• Mounting – Your Optima battery must be securely mounted. The terminals are not intended to be used to secure the battery. Using the terminals in this way will damage the battery and void your warranty.
• Heat – Protect your battery from high heat, such as turbochargers or exhaust manifolds

I appreciate your interest in our batteries. If you have any other battery-related questions, I’ll do my best to answer them.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Well I do not have alot of electrical demands at least I don't think.
I am using after market parts such as, intake, headers, custom exhaust, a few pulley mods and after market radio but that is it.
So would the red top battery be enough or should I switch over to the yellow top with these mods?
__________________
2002 Grand Am GT Turbocharged

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /
DDM 5000K HID's / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
stewartfn18
GAGT - Senior Member
 
stewartfn18's Avatar
 
AKA: David
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oldsmar,FL
Age: 30
Posts: 2,049
Vehicle: 04 vette, 14 R6
stewartfn18 a trusted member
a red top will be enough. thats what i have and it works like a charm
__________________
MODS: Not Enough
stewartfn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #7
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe
 
G.I.Ceo's Avatar
 
AKA: Randy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Age: 38
Posts: 788
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am Gt
G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewartfn18 View Post
a red top will be enough. thats what i have and it works like a charm
Sweet! Thanks. I was a little nervous on which one but I couldn't see spending that kind of money just yet for a yellow top.
__________________
2002 Grand Am GT Turbocharged

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /
DDM 5000K HID's / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 PM   #8
OptimaJim
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Randy, if your aftermarket electrical demands are relatively-minimal, a RedTop will work just fine. When people start adding large stereo and alarm systems, then YellowTops become a better option. I did notice that you indicated you made some pulley-related modifications. Whenever I hear about pulley modifications, I always encourage folks to check the output of their alternator while the vehicle is running, to make sure it is still producing enough voltage to properly maintain a battery. Some pulley modifications will reduce alternator output, which can shorten battery life. Alternator output can be tested directly at the battery terminals with a multi-meter and should be approximately 13.7-14.7 volts.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
GA2000GTSpeed
GAGT - Member
 
GA2000GTSpeed's Avatar
 
AKA: Josh
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Freeman Missouri
Age: 28
Posts: 411
Vehicle: 00 GAGT, 79 Jag XJ6
GA2000GTSpeed Gettin' there
The basic rule of thumb for a battery is at least 2 CCA per Cubic Inch of your engine. so if your running a SBC 350 you would want at least 700 CCA. the red top i ran with my sbc 350 is a 75-25, 720 CCA. Which that battery is in my GA right now. i have 2 12inch alpine type-r's and i don't even get the whole light surging with the base deal with the red-top
__________________
Current mods: RSM Supercharger kit, S&S Headers, Upgraded Clutches, Borla cat-back, Drilled and Slotted Camaro rotors and Calipers, MSD coil packs, EGR Block Off, 180 thermo, MSD wires, Tuned Myself with DHP, 2 12 inch Alpine type R's, Kenwood bass booster 1700 watt Amp, Red Dual flip down head unit, Tinted Tails, Custom Painted Black With Red Interior, Double pod A pillar, A/F Gauge, Vac/Boost Gauge.
Future Mods: Heads, P&P Intake manifolds, 65mm TB, HP Tuners, .
GA2000GTSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #10
Stefalicious
GAGT - Member
 
Stefalicious's Avatar
 
AKA: Stephanie
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 400
Vehicle: 99 Grand AM GT Coupe
Stefalicious Gettin' there
I have a red top. I have subs, an amp and many lights and the red top works just fine for me.
__________________
Powered by Pontiac
Stefalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Grandamgtblk99
Burgee
 
Grandamgtblk99's Avatar
 
AKA: Allen
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Orange, Tx
Age: 36
Posts: 787
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am Gt
Grandamgtblk99 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Grandamgtblk99 Send a message via Yahoo to Grandamgtblk99
Pretty impressive for Jim from Optima to find this thread and give some real insite into the Optima batteries. I've been an long time user of optima batteries.
__________________
1999 Sc/t turbo.
Grandamgtblk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #12
G.I.Ceo
Skinny Wolfe
 
G.I.Ceo's Avatar
 
AKA: Randy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Age: 38
Posts: 788
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am Gt
G.I.Ceo Gettin' there
Thanks for all your guys input. I did end up using a red top battery. I plan on posting pics of the ride once I can fix the short I have to my MAP sensor. I have been putting it off for to long now.
__________________
2002 Grand Am GT Turbocharged

Garrett GT35 / Turbo Headers / 2.5" high flow DP / Custom SLP Exhaust / Ported 3500 Heads / Ported 3500 UIM/LIM / 65mm TB / Turbonetics Evolution WG / Greddy Type-RS BOV / Casper Adjustable FPR / Casper High Speed Fan Switch / Speedbuilt F/R STB's / Next Level F/R Sway bars / Eibach Springs / Dual Gauge Pod with Aeroforce Gauges /
DDM 5000K HID's / Big Four Upgrade / HP Tuners and more!

"Living is doing everything you want to do and dying is everything else"
G.I.Ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com
CustomCarGrills.com