GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM   #1
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Worth it to change your own oil?

Didn't know where to put this but anyway. My dad always tells me its better to take it to the dealership or w.e to get the oil changed because doing it yourself isn't worth the hassle or something along those lines. He's by no means lazy but I see no problem in it.

You do the process and after you are all done you just take the old oil to you local auto parts store to recycle it. So whats the problem that I'm not seeing here?
Old 01-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #2
ItsMeScottG
Tech Guy

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG Gettin' there
If you let a shop or the dealership do oil changes for you than you don't have to mess around with the oil mess.

I'd you do the oil changes yourself than you will know exact ally what type of oil/filter is being put on your car and you will know it's being done properly.

Both sides have their benefits. I change my own oil.

SC/T Spoiler, PFYC Sway SpeedBuilt bars, PFYC SpeedBuilt strut braces, Rear disc brake setup, Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines, red painted calipers, 20% Black Tint, Cat-Back Exhaust, Amber Grille Lighting, Pioneer AVIC-940BT with XM, Live Traffic, & Rear-view Camera, Front Bra, lower bumper grille, Stubby Antenna, Michelin Defender Tires...

My Current vehicle:
2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
I change the oil on all of my vehicles and have taught my son how to do it as well. He has seen what high prices repair shops charge and now understands why I do most auto repairs myself.

I've had cases in the past where the dealer has done oil changes for me and they either left the oil filter loose to where it was leaking or they didn't put enough oil in as required.

Some neighborhood HOA rules prohibit working on cars in the driveway and others just don't want to do it themselves and I understand that but I like to do my own work which helps me keep tabs on any potential problem areas that may need special attention plus I like knowing the work was done correctly and enjoy doing it.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Shade2012
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Logan
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
Shade2012 a trusted member
Already been said, you know EXACTLY what has been done to you car if you do it yourself.

Had a friend that marked his oil filter with a sharpy in a specific spot and took the car for an oil change and got it back with the same filter on it. They clearly stated on the receipt that they changed the filter as well.

Stuff like this makes me want to do everything I possibly can myself.
Shade2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yeah, I do all my own oil changes. Doesn't take long, it's not hard to do, and you know it's done right. And it saves money. I can change my own oil and use a better quality oil and filter for the same price a shop charges to put cheap oil and filter on a car.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
I'm a self changer, reasons already given
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #7
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

AKA: Nathan
Vehicle: 2001 olds alero GLS
sleepyalero a trusted member
Im very picky when it comes to my oil. I have 199k miles I like to make sure I have mobil 1 5w30 fully synthetic high mileage oil in it. 4.5 qts. And either a mobil 1 filter or ac delco filter. Sure other places might say they put fully synthetic in it... but how do you really know?

Also. Taking it to the dealer can be nice. But some places can also have accidents... like maybe ding your door on something... scratch the car.. or whatever.. atleast when you do it yourself you know it got done right. And with what you want in the car.

Heres a fun fact. My mom takes her dodge journey to the dealer for just about every fix... I try to assist but she just says no. So whatever. But she took the car in one day for an oil change... 2 days later it started leaking oil. I didnt have work the day she noticed it in the driveway when backing out to go to work. So I called her when I woke up and she said its leaking oil. So I went to her work. Got under the car. And what do you know... a little bit of oil was under the car. So I looked above where it was and what do you know.... the dumb asses at the dealer didnt put the oil filter on tight.... if that were to fall off or anything.... bad things would have happened to her car. So I simply tightened the filter by hand and all was good till her next oil change.

What some people dont realize... when shops have jobs to do... they do them fast. They usually want oil changes in and out. So I can see them not putting on a drain plug tight, a filter on tight or anything. Plus do they even let all the old oil drain out or do they let it drain then cap it real quick.

Me I usually will pull the drain plug and let it drain out for about 10-15 mins. Then while still off remove the filter and replace before I cap the oil pan off.

Long story short. I like doing it myself.

And in my garage. We have a 55 gallon drum to dump all our oil in. Then my step dads friends will come siphon it all out for us when its full for free. What they do with it I do not know.

2012 BMW S1000RR, full exhaust, BRENTUNE, power commander 5, dyno tune, 198WHP.

Last edited by sleepyalero; 01-22-2014 at 08:14 PM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
I do it myself, oversize filter and the oil of my choice. I went to the local place 2 years ago for am oil change and they said something like $40.

As for the old oil, i use it as bar oil in my chain saw, mix it with gas for my weedeater and blower. And in the winter time it always comes in handy for fires.
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.

Last edited by rocketfast123; 01-22-2014 at 08:16 PM.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM   #9
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Long story short. I like doing it myself, in my garage.
Fixed that fer ya buddy!
Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #10
Nick-G
Boost Addict

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT V6
Nick-G Gettin' there
I would never go to a small shop/oil change place to get it done. In the past I would be on the same boat as most of you but if you have a reputable GM dealership do it you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I work at a GM dealership myself and our oil changes are dirt cheap with quality oil and filters. We have $14.95 oil changes and offer free vehicle inspections at no charge.

If your a regular customer you will occasionally get 9.95 oil change coupons also. On top of all of that if you purchase tires through us you also get lifetime free rotations.

Really while doing it yourself is great, finding a reputable GM dealership and having it done regularly by them has it's perks and any decent dealership will bend over backwards to keep you happy so on the rare occasion you do have a problem with their service it should be taken care of by them.

----------------------------------
www.motorsportsevolved.com
Get updates on Facebook
----------------------------------
Nick-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 PM   #11
Kayaus
Stock for Brains

AKA: Joe
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am GT Coupe
Kayaus Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Kayaus
Quote:
We have a 55 gallon drum to dump all our oil in. Then my step dads friends will come siphon it all out for us when its full for free. What they do with it I do not know.
My old boss had a set up like this, we do residential hvac so filter changes on boilers require you to pull oil through the new filter up to the burner assembly, so at the end of a day we usually have a good gallon of oil. Every morning we'd dump it into a barrel in his shop and it fed an old burner to heat the shop for free.

1990 MX-5: 15x7 RPF1s, Nitto R-Compound Slicks, FM Stage 1 Clutch, Hella E-Code headlights, R-type Sway Bar, APR aero mirrors.
Kayaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #12
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Very nifty!!

And yeah coop always in the garage... im not gonna be outside while I do it... garages are meant to be worked in.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:46 PM   #13
03GT SilverGun
GAGT - Member

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
03GT SilverGun Gettin' there
I usually change my own oil just for the fact that I enjoy doing most of the work myself. That and I generally trust myself more than other people.

Speaking of over sized filters whats the part number for an over sized AC Delco Filter. I keep meaning to look it up before I change my oil but always forget!
03GT SilverGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 PM   #14
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

Sleepy, read that again, but forget you were talking about oil
Old 01-22-2014, 11:33 PM   #15
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 15 Honda Accord Sport
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT SilverGun View Post
I usually change my own oil just for the fact that I enjoy doing most of the work myself. That and I generally trust myself more than other people.

Speaking of over sized filters whats the part number for an over sized AC Delco Filter. I keep meaning to look it up before I change my oil but always forget!
I forget the part #, but lookup the oil filter for either a 4WD S-10 pickup or Blazer with the 4.3L, that's the oversized one you can use. That's what I always used.

2015 Honda Accord Sport Sedan: K24W
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GT SilverGun View Post
For the v6 it's pf52 aka a filter for a gm 4.3.v6. For the 2.4 it's pf61 aka cadilliac northstar.
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 AM   #17
sleepyalero
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █ ▆ ▅ ▃ ▂

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
Sleepy, read that again, but forget you were talking about oil
Dirty dog you

Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2015 Tahoe
DrFabulous has made plenty of valid pointsDrFabulous has made plenty of valid points
I might be alone on this one, but I usually have a European specialty shop do my oil changes. If I go purchase the materials myself, I'm looking at between about $60-$75 depending on if the oil is on sale (7 quarts of Mobile 0w-40 and a filter). When I bring it to the shop, depending on which one I bring it to, I can get it done for $75-$85, and they wash the car as well.

I trust the work of both of the shops, and I know they use decent filters and Mobile 1. Spending $10-$20 to not have to get dirty or deal with disposing of the oil is more than worth it for me.

'05 Honda CR-V
100% stock
'15 Chevrolet Tahoe
100% stock
'15 Ford F-150
100% stock work truck
DrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:57 AM   #19
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 15 Honda Accord Sport
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
Synthetic certainly isn't cheap, hell I'm spending just $45 for 5 quarts of 5W-20 Catstrol Syntec. I only use the Honda OEM filters, though. The first oil change I had to do, I did it myself. Mainly because it was in June and nice out.

When I had it changed in mid November, I took it to a shop I know down the road. I still buy the oil and filter I want, the place just charges me $15 to change it. I hate the cold, I'll pay for that during the cold months.

2015 Honda Accord Sport Sedan: K24W
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #20
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2015 Tahoe
DrFabulous has made plenty of valid pointsDrFabulous has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Synthetic certainly isn't cheap, hell I'm spending just $45 for 5 quarts of 5W-20 Catstrol Syntec.
You're not kidding. The first time I looked up how much oil I'd need to do it myself and saw that it was 6.3 liters or something, I was floored.... 2 liter engine, 6.3 liters of oil. God damn turbo.

'05 Honda CR-V
100% stock
'15 Chevrolet Tahoe
100% stock
'15 Ford F-150
100% stock work truck
DrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote