GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security

Old 08-20-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
pauljs75
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2001 Grand AM GT Sedan
pauljs75 Gettin' there
Wireless Motion Detector

Right now I don't have much $$$ to put towards car security...

But I have seen some wireless motion detectors, and I was wondering if anybody has tried them in an automotive application. Basically it's a setup with a battery powered motion sensor and a receiver unit, intended to chime when there's activity at your driveway or front step. I don't plan on using this anywhere besides the home, so the the portability of the receiver unit isn't that big a factor. What is important is the low price. Under $50.

Does anyone know if the sensors on these will pick-up through automotive glass and whether the sensitivity is adjustable enough to be useful?

Frankly I'd like to catch these vandals that throw eggs and f' with my
when I'm sleeping or on the computer. Apparently they if they have some problem with me, they lack what it takes to say it to my face.
(Hell, even that emote does an injustice to gay people when compared to the real culprits.
At least gay people with a problem will actually say something to your face.)
And it's just not practical to keep a 24/7 watch over my car parked outside on the lookout for those turds.

Would be nice to catch them so they can be dealt with.

pauljs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:01 PM   #2
cutlsp
GAGT - Member

AKA: James
Vehicle: 2004 grand am se2
cutlsp Gettin' there
Do you have a garage? Another option would be a motion activated flood light. http://www.lowes.com/pl_Security+Lig...sales_dollar|1 People don't like to get caught and a motion activated light is a good addition to your house if you live in a house.
cutlsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
pauljs75
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2001 Grand AM GT Sedan
pauljs75 Gettin' there
Living with the 'rents so they have first dibs on the garage. Too much junk in there as it is anyways.

As for floodlights, neighbors have one that does hit the area where my car is parked. But if it's at 3AM and nobody's up to see anything, the vandals still may have their way with it. I need something that provides an audible cue that can wake me up, but not necessarily one that wakes up the neighbors. (If I had the money to get a proper car alarm, I'd prefer one with a pager keyfob thingy instead of that annoying noisy sh** anyways.) I also live by a park, so there's a lot of pedestrian traffic no matter what.

It's not like an all the time thing. But it happens often enough to be annoying. About every 2 months or so. Thus why trying to keep a watch over the car doesn't seem practical either.
pauljs75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
icecats87
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dylan
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am Gt
icecats87 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljs75 View Post
Right now I don't have much $$$ to put towards car security...

But I have seen some wireless motion detectors, and I was wondering if anybody has tried them in an automotive application. Basically it's a setup with a battery powered motion sensor and a receiver unit, intended to chime when there's activity at your driveway or front step. I don't plan on using this anywhere besides the home, so the the portability of the receiver unit isn't that big a factor. What is important is the low price. Under $50.

Does anyone know if the sensors on these will pick-up through automotive glass and whether the sensitivity is adjustable enough to be useful?

Frankly I'd like to catch these vandals that throw eggs and f' with my
when I'm sleeping or on the computer. Apparently they if they have some problem with me, they lack what it takes to say it to my face.
(Hell, even that emote does an injustice to gay people when compared to the real culprits.
At least gay people with a problem will actually say something to your face.)
And it's just not practical to keep a 24/7 watch over my car parked outside on the lookout for those turds.

Would be nice to catch them so they can be dealt with.

2 Summers ago my car was egged every night for a week. i would try staying up all night and fall asleep and always wake up to them doing a burnout right in front of my house, it was also to dark and couldn't tell what kind of vehicle it was. then a Sunday i got a call and a voice-mail of a old time friend. saying if you put suger in my gas tank again this will keep happening. (never touched his car and didn't talk to this kid for a year before this all happened) anyways he said he will make a visit tonight so i called the cops, they had a patrol car on my side street watching, and one by his house and one going back and forth.

One cop car drove by his house and there were 4 people outside about to get into the car and saw the cop he kept driving acting like he was on patrol, came back 10 min later and the kids car and house were egged. he then claimed that i egged it and ****ed with his car and house. so the cop at my house called me outside telling me what he said and laughed and said i know you have been here the entire time. I cant remember what happened after this with tickets and charges etc.. but my car hasn't been egged since. (there are about 5 or 6 egg marks still visible now)
Mods: projectors with HIDS,tinted tails,painted black rims,slotted/drilled rotors,touchscreen HU,subs,painted interior,interior lights are blue l.e.ds,cold air intake,mpracing PCM flowmaster 80 muffler, highflow cat,
Future mods:Mustangs on hold for a while, so possible 3400/3500 hybrid build, or straight up 3500 swap, then in the future future a turbo set up
icecats87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 PM   #5
cutlsp
GAGT - Member

AKA: James
Vehicle: 2004 grand am se2
cutlsp Gettin' there
ok how about getting a motion detecting light and wire it to an alarm in your bedroom? or if the garage has enough space for 3 cars clean the garage.
cutlsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
2003SCT
GAGT - Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SC/T
2003SCT a trusted member
A trunk monkey only costs two bananas per day. Its something to consider.

2003 Grand Am SC/T Coupe in White. Borla Cat-Back, F/R Speedbuilt sway bars, H&R Sports/KYB, 18" Misano Lightweights wrapped in Falken FK-452 Euro-Sports and ZAINO!

2000 Chevrolet S10 Flareside: K&N Intake, Truxedo Tonneau and Gibson Cat Back
2003SCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #7
SikMindz
BOLD Yellow

AKA: D
Vehicle: 2003 BMW E39
SikMindz has made plenty of valid pointsSikMindz has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003SCT View Post
A trunk monkey only costs two bananas per day. Its something to consider.
Oh god. Please do this.

Trunk monkey > focktard
SikMindz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
detector, motion, problem, sensor, vandalism