GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
HIDObsessed
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: William
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM GT
HIDObsessed Gettin' there
Slower acceleration as car warms up

I notice awesome/amazing performance when i first turn the car on after sitting and cools down fully. Then after it gets to running temps. It isn't as fast and its slower. Is this a normal thing? If so how do I keep the performance from the time I start it til it warms up the same? My sister has an '02 and her car doesn't do it. I think its something wrong with my car. Maybe a fuel filter? Maybe something needs flushed?

I have the 180* thermostat so idk what is it could be!

HIDObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
It's getting slower as it gets hotter?

First thing I would do, scan for codes.
Second, clean the MAF *mass air flow* along with check/change air filter, maybe even clean the throttle body.
That mass air sensor reads air temp, and if it's getting hot, it could be leaning the car way out..
also check to make sure you are sucking air through the end of the setup, and maybe it's not disconnected sucking in hot engine air..
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
HIDObsessed
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: William
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM GT
HIDObsessed Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
It's getting slower as it gets hotter?

First thing I would do, scan for codes.
Second, clean the MAF *mass air flow* along with check/change air filter, maybe even clean the throttle body.
That mass air sensor reads air temp, and if it's getting hot, it could be leaning the car way out..
also check to make sure you are sucking air through the end of the setup, and maybe it's not disconnected sucking in hot engine air..

Yeah its getting slower as it gets hotter. I know nothigna bout cars....only about getting hids for the car and installing them. Lol thats it. I think i should maybe go to a tune shop?
HIDObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:25 PM   #4
bricooper78
Dammit Sleepy

AKA: Cooper
Vehicle: 03 Sierra Z71
bricooper78 has made plenty of valid pointsbricooper78 has made plenty of valid points
you have a 3.4... just do a search on here for cleaning the MAF. I don't have mine anymore, so i can't just pull it out and show you (omg that's what she said??) what i'm talking about... but if you start at the motor, there is a black tube, that comes off, heads towards the driver's side. there is a silver square with a couple wires that attach to it, that comes out with a couple hose clamps (one on either side), and there is a cleaner for it, just spray it out really good. 10 minutes and 8 dollars.

also, give us some background. how long you had this car? how many miles are on it? does it have a history on gravel or dirt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_indian View Post
the resulting violent shake at highway speed may cause loss of control, white knuckles, loss of dental fillings, urinary incontinence and sudden religious conversion.
bricooper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
RycherGates
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 1998 Grand Am GT
RycherGates Gettin' there
Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor: Service and Repair [AllData]

RycherGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

AKA: mitch conner
Vehicle: 1999 ga gt1.
locoman99 is infamous around these parts, but not in a good way
So mr gates is a paid member to alldata....we want to keep this guy around for the service drawings alone!
locoman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:27 PM   #7
Metalxen
Banzai Baby!!

AKA: Rob
Vehicle: 2005 Grand Am GT
Metalxen Gettin' there
How To: Clean the MAF Sensor
05 GAGT & I Drive Her Like I'm On A Mission From God!! 2.5 Magnaflow cat back exhaust W/high flow cat , Cai, 5% tint ,tuned MPR pcm ,Eibachs sitting on Kyb Gr2 struts, Brigestone Potenza's wrapped around 17x7.5 American Racing wheels
Metalxen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cool, performance, problem, pull it out and show you, slow, that's what she said, warmed