GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #21
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT
MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to MilzyZ34
I'm confused as to why I'm not at the top of the list? The car is able to be street driven, it may be missing some wipers, but how many of us are missing cataytic converters? Wouldn't that also keep the car from being street legal?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #22
Vegeta
WOT-Tech

AKA: Ben
Vehicle: 92 Grand Prix "GTP"
Vegeta Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Vegeta
You didn't race it in streetable form and it has nothing to do with your wipers.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 PM   #23
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
You didn't race it in streetable form and it has nothing to do with your wipers.
what's the definition of streetable?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #24
Vegeta
WOT-Tech

Vegeta Gettin' there
Can you drive on the street with those bars on the back?
Old 08-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #25
SilverGAGT2002
GTslow

AKA: David
Vehicle: 02 Grand Am GT Sedan
SilverGAGT2002 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to SilverGAGT2002 Send a message via MSN to SilverGAGT2002
Quote:
Well technically one CAN but your not supposed to
Old 08-11-2009, 10:08 PM   #26
Vegeta
WOT-Tech

Vegeta Gettin' there
Mike, why don't you make a new thread and disclose your mod list to the vehicle along with pictures throughout and see what the members of this site will consider your vehicle in regards to their 1/4 list.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #27
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
Yes I can since they are adjustable, but they do come off with 4 pins in about 30 seconds. Would you guys like me to make a pass without the wheelie bars? I'd still run a 12. Traction was not an issue this weekend, my tires didn't spin at all off the starting line.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #28
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Here's a more clear definition of "streetable" just to clear up any confusion. The car should be able to be registered, insured, and legally driven on the road as applicable to the laws of the state you live in, with the exception of tires. You should be able to drive the car to the track, put on a set of DR's or slicks, race it, then take them off and drive it home. Doesn't mean you can't trailer it if you want, but it should be able to be driven.

99.999% of the people on this website do not have stripped out cars with full roll cages and wheelie bars, no accessories, dashboard, radio, etc etc etc, and they don't trailer their cars to the track. How do you suppose it's fair to compare their cars to yours on the same list?

And yes, a few people might not have catalytic converters, but most of us do. I still have mine and I frown upon people not running them because yes technically a street legal car should have one. If you want open exhaust you can use an electric cutout like I do. Open at the track and closed on the street... best of both worlds and it's legal. Your car doesn't even have mufflers does it?

Last edited by AaronGTR; 08-11-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #29
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilzyZ34 View Post
I'm confused as to why I'm not at the top of the list? The car is able to be street driven, it may be missing some wipers, but how many of us are missing cataytic converters? Wouldn't that also keep the car from being street legal?
Looks like my car won't qualify either since I am doing a complete 3500 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Engines however need to be something that came in the car. We want to know to know what these engines will do. You can make hybrids with parts from other engines (ie. 3400/3500 or 2.3/2.4 hybrids etc.), but no complete engine swaps will count. That means NO 3800's, no LS1's, no jet turbines... whatever.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 PM   #30
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Quote:
Here's a more clear definition of "streetable" just to clear up any confusion. The car should be able to be registered, insured, and legally driven on the road as applicable to the laws of the state you live in, with the exception of tires. You should be able to drive the car to the track, put on a set of DR's or slicks, race it, then take them off and drive it home. Doesn't mean you can't trailer it if you want, but it should be able to be driven.

99.999% of the people on this website do not have stripped out cars with full roll cages and wheelie bars, no accessories, dashboard, radio, etc etc etc, and they don't trailer their cars to the track. How do you suppose it's fair to compare their cars to yours on the same list?

And yes, a few people might not have catalytic converters, but most of us do. I still have mine and I frown upon people not running them because yes technically a street legal car should have one. If you want open exhaust you can use an electric cutout like I do. Open at the track and closed on the street... best of both worlds and it's legal. Your car doesn't even have mufflers does it?

You might frown on it, but they're still on the list.

Actually my drag tires are DOT, so I can drive in with them. I drove the car on the street at Nationals for a few miles when I was trying to figure out if I fixed the spark issue. 99.999% may not have a fully stripped car, but 99.999% also don't have turbos, or slicks. I still have a dash btw, just no radio. I don't have an exhaust just hanging there for the ride because I can't find one that's weightless, and I'm trying to go fast. It's not like I'm taking off body panels or doors or the hood when I run. I have a roll cage because when I run an 11.49 or faster they will not let me run anymore without it. The car is purpose built to go fast in a straight line, but i also made sure to leave it where I can drive it on the street if i wanted to. I even wired in headlights and taillights for that reason. According to what i've found, I'm missing turn signals, wipers, and a horn. I guess I'll be zip-tying a horn to my intercooler next time I work on the car.

I mean no disrespect to Spyhunter, Schweppe, and the others on the list, but the fact is I deserve to be at the top of the list since I have the fastest Grand Am ... stock or not. The reason that people are above other people on the list is because of the modifications they've done to their cars, how is what I've done any different? I just took it one step further.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #31
AleroB888
not this alero

AKA: Greg
Vehicle: 1999 Alero V6
AleroB888 Gettin' there
Quote:
You might frown on it, but they're still on the list.

I mean no disrespect to Spyhunter, Schweppe, and the others on the list, but the fact is I deserve to be at the top of the list since I have the fastest Grand Am ... stock or not. The reason that people are above other people on the list is because of the modifications they've done to their cars, how is what I've done any different? I just took it one step further.
Your car is kind of in a class by itself at this point, you can easily add what it needs to make the list, but haven't quite done so as of yet.

Since it is the fastest Grand Am on the site, it deserves more than "honorable mention." I suggest maybe a "race car" category, listed first above the other ones, which would include only your car and Spyhunter's, since that is what his car was getting to be, for all practical purposes.

There is a difference between a car that is street-driven 99 percent of the time and one that could be street-driven if it absolutely had to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVYZPbpPzk
Old 08-12-2009, 12:06 AM   #32
bigstribs
Bimmer Baby

AKA: mike
Vehicle: 1992 BMW 325is
bigstribs Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to bigstribs
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
Your car is kind of in a class by itself at this point, you can easily add what it needs to make the list, but haven't quite done so as of yet.

Since it is the fastest Grand Am on the site, it deserves more than "honorable mention." I suggest maybe a "race car" category, listed first above the other ones, which would include only your car and Spyhunter's, since that is what his car was getting to be, for all practical purposes.

There is a difference between a car that is street-driven 99 percent of the time and one that could be street-driven if it absolutely had to.
Well thats what i was gonna say but it looks like you got there first!

Congrats Mike on the numbers and I am glad that I was there to witness it!!!

Last edited by Vegeta; 08-12-2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Deleted the bull**** (PM me if you have a problem with this)
Old 08-12-2009, 12:21 AM   #33
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I tried to be nice about it but enough is enough.

Quote:
The car is purpose built to go fast in a straight line...
do I really need to say more after this point? It's not a street car anymore, it's a race car.

Quote:
but i also made sure to leave it where I can drive it on the street if i wanted to. I even wired in headlights and taillights for that reason.
Many tracks require working headlights and taillights on cars. Especially if they will be racing at dusk/night. That does not make it street legal or mean anyone would want or be able to drive that car on the street.

Quote:
You mean no disrespect yet you insist on being placed higher on the list than them when your car isn't comparable at all to theirs? Sorry, but you barely ran faster than spy and his car is much closer to being a truely streetable car than yours, AND it's a four cylinder. He earned his spot on that list by showing people you could run a 12 sec quarter without a gutted car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post

This pretty much sums iit up right there.

99.99% of the people on this site don't have dedicated race cars. There ARE enough of them though that have turbo's and superchargers and NA mods to make a list out of them, and those people want to compare their times to other similar cars. That is the purpose of this list. I made it because no one else keeps the list updated, and I'm one of the last old members who still sticks around this site regularly and was willing to do it. I'm not adding a track car category when there is only going to be one car in it.

END OF DISCUSSION!

If you don't like it make your own list on your own god dam website!
Old 08-12-2009, 04:45 AM   #34
SpyhunteR
#1 hater

AKA: Rob
Vehicle: 01' 2.4T GA / 08 TBSS
SpyhunteR a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to SpyhunteR Send a message via Yahoo to SpyhunteR
Quote:

oh, almost forgot... does anyone remember was Spy's run made on slicks or DR's? And was he running race gas or pump gas? I recall he dyno'd before with C16 but don't remember if he ran that at the track.
slicks - M&H Racemasters ---- I've done it on "pump" available 100octane and c16.. both times I hit 12.4 times. and i've run numerous times in the 12's on 100octane.

when I ran with c16 at the track and snapped off a 12.4 I blew the headgasket and clutch, and clocked 118mph at the traps. every other time is 12.4 at like 110-112 or something.\

oh if it's gutted and unregistered it goes into a race category. Most definitely you're faster. But I get to say I did it with full interior. My most un-street legal mod was having no cat. :-p

My burnout was better too!
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Last edited by SpyhunteR; 08-12-2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:20 AM   #35
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyhunteR View Post
slicks - M&H Racemasters ---- I've done it on "pump" available 100octane and c16.. both times I hit 12.4 times. and i've run numerous times in the 12's on 100octane.

when I ran with c16 at the track and snapped off a 12.4 I blew the headgasket and clutch, and clocked 118mph at the traps. every other time is 12.4 at like 110-112 or something.\

oh if it's gutted and unregistered it goes into a race category. Most definitely you're faster. But I get to say I did it with full interior. My most un-street legal mod was having no cat. :-p

My burnout was better too!
you got me on the burnout. They rushed me through the staging lanes so fast I barely made it to the line in time, you can see me frantically getting everything setup in the car before the run, and then having to make that sharp turn to get close to straight. This combined with still learning the car, remember that was my first day racing the car. My biggest problem all day was that I was dragging the skinnies through the waterbox when I was hoping that two 4.5" wide tires would hold the car still when two 11.5" ones were spinning. On that particular run, it looks like I let off early ... I'd chalk it up to human error/rushing and being nervous.

Last edited by MilzyZ34; 08-12-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #36
SpyhunteR
#1 hater

Quote:
you got me on the burnout. They rushed me through the staging lanes so fast I barely made it to the line in time, you can see me frantically getting everything setup in the car before the run, and then having to make that sharp turn to get close to straight. This combined with still learning the car, remember that was my first pass. My biggest problem all day was that I was dragging the skinnies through the waterbox when I was hoping that two 4.5" wide tires would hold the car still when two 11.5" ones were spinning. On that particular run, it looks like I let off early ... I'd chalk it up to human error/rushing and being nervous.
My first run of the day is always nerve racking.

Dragging water with the rear tires, always a problem w/ fwd. I hate it myself. It can get you squirrely on the track which gets a bit scary.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Old 08-12-2009, 08:48 AM   #37
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Quote:
My first run of the day is always nerve racking.

Dragging water with the rear tires, always a problem w/ fwd. I hate it myself. It can get you squirrely on the track which gets a bit scary.
What I was trying to say was that when I'd set my line-lock to hold the rear tires still and did the burnout, they wouldn't rotate, but the slicks would drag the whole car with locked-up rear tires.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #38
SpyhunteR
#1 hater

Quote:
What I was trying to say was that when I'd set my line-lock to hold the rear tires still and did the burnout, they wouldn't rotate, but the slicks would drag the whole car with locked-up rear tires.
From what I saw it looked like you had it going and then you stopped and tried to start it up again but couldn't muster anything.

Through my experience, I didn't have any real issue of dragging ass through until I was good and ready.

Hell I could start the burnout in 2nd or 3rd
Old 08-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #39
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Quote:
From what I saw it looked like you had it going and then you stopped and tried to start it up again but couldn't muster anything.

Through my experience, I didn't have any real issue of dragging ass through until I was good and ready.

Hell I could start the burnout in 2nd or 3rd
the car stalled when i let off on that one. that's why i sat there a sec.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #40
gectek
I hate nose hair

AKA: John
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT sc/t
gectek Gettin' there
the timer only starts after you cross the line, even if you red light.

Procrastinators UNITE!!!.....tomorrow
Closed Thread