Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - News > Personal Vehicle News

Old 04-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
99Alero_Boy
Oldz Sleeper

AKA: Kyle
Vehicle: 2001 Olds Alero GL3
99Alero_Boy Gettin' there
Stupid 5 Speed Swap

So I finally got down to denver this week to swap the built 5 speed into the alero. I picked up an 05 3400 motor out of monte carlo, looked the same, i knew some brackets had to be swapped, whatever, simple stuff. Got the flywheel and clutch bolted up, bolted the tranny up, everything looks good, drop it into car, some custom mounting brackets and everything looks great. Next morning i start on the bottom and hook everything up, A/C starter, ABS, Wiring harness, Fuel lines, etc. Get on top of the motor and the nightmares begin, 3 hours and 4 powering steering pumps later, I realize it's either yank the motor and new timing cover so I can get the power steering pump to line up, or I get a 3400 from a grand am or alero. So an hour later the motor is out and i'm very frustrated. Next morning and a 12 pack later, I got a 3400 out of a 03 grand am. New motor drops in great, mounts are good still, then when i'm hooking the fuel line back up the fpr cracks, call up GM, it's a special order and can't come until tomorrow morning two days later and a couple more minor issues aside everything is back together and the last thing to do is stab in the axles, fill with fluids, and break the clutch in.......here it comes...... ......passenger axle is a good 2 inches short, drivers is a good 2 inches long, motor is in a great position, 2 out of 4 stock motor mounts were used. Next morning, after 4 hours of searching and 2 or 3 12 packs l call up a couple local driveshaft shops, and the driveshaft shop, looks like $600 for ****ty pieces together stock axles, or $1300 for 500hp level 3 customs from the driveshaft shop, so the alero with remain in denver for a month or two until the custom driveshaft shop axles are done.... ........

On a side note, hp tuners has handled the 5 speed swap great so far and I anticipate no problems on that side, i got a set of almost brand new potenzas for my wheels for $150!! 255/40/17s in the front and 235/45/17s in the rear.

So all problems aside the alero runs again, after almost 3 years, which makes me very happy. And the new axles should be done in a month or two, and be ready for the boosted motor and fabrication of the supercharger setup!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
all I see is an array of heads pounding on walls!

Good to hear the car is coming back together. Sounds like maybe you should have checked the axle lengths before you mounted the engine and transmission though. You might have been able to avoid making custom axles. Of course, if it was too far to move and would have put the engine in a bad spot, then it was unavoidable. Maybe you should have gone for the 6spd then though. I don't recall timka having that hard a time adapting axles.

Anyway, I'll definitely be interested to see the results of another N-body manual swap. Especially since it's still pretty rare. Other than Tim, only two other people I know of have every claimed to have done it and neither ever showed any proof.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Damn you're having to deal w/ alot of sh1t. G/L man.

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:31 AM   #4
DrFabulous
FIGJAM

Vehicle: 2015 Tahoe
DrFabulous has made plenty of valid pointsDrFabulous has made plenty of valid points
Looking forward to the completion of this as well, as I would like to see more 5 speed GA's out there

'05 Honda CR-V
100% stock
'15 Chevrolet Tahoe
100% stock
DrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
I completely forgot you were working on that..

That sucks about all the headaches, atleast you had some beer to get you through it..good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
99Alero_Boy
Oldz Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
all I see is an array of heads pounding on walls!

Good to hear the car is coming back together. Sounds like maybe you should have checked the axle lengths before you mounted the engine and transmission though. You might have been able to avoid making custom axles. Of course, if it was too far to move and would have put the engine in a bad spot, then it was unavoidable. Maybe you should have gone for the 6spd then though. I don't recall timka having that hard a time adapting axles.

Anyway, I'll definitely be interested to see the results of another N-body manual swap. Especially since it's still pretty rare. Other than Tim, only two other people I know of have every claimed to have done it and neither ever showed any proof.
It crossed my mind before, along with the gtp tranny swap, but I would have had to get custom axles (at least on the six speed) for those probably too, since the stock axles won't hold the horsepower i'm planning on getting, the getrag I swapped in is pretty built, I had in mind the goal of 500whp daily driven. Plus I got some really rare gleason-torsen LSD, then I couldn't pass the 282 swap after that.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
2003SCT
GAGT - Senior Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SC/T
2003SCT a trusted member
That must be the tranny that GM used in a SEMA/show Malibu a number of years ago. It had a 5 speed with a 3400. I was always wondering which off the shelf tranny they used for it.

CHRIS

2003 Grand Am SC/T Coupe in White. Borla Cat-Back, F/R Speedbuilt sway bars, H&R Sports/KYB, 18" Misano Lightweights wrapped in Falken FK-452 Euro-Sports and ZAINO!

2000 Chevrolet S10 Flareside: K&N Intake, Truxedo Tonneau and Gibson Cat Back
2003SCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 08:44 AM   #8
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFabulous View Post
Looking forward to the completion of this as well, as I would like to see more 5 speed GA's out there

Definitely. IDK WTF GM was thnking about by not having a 5 speed option on the GA's. They had it on the V6 Sunbirds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxus View Post
I completely forgot you were working on that..

That sucks about all the headaches, atleast you had some beer to get you through it..good luck!
Headache from the car and hangover from the beer...

My ride:
Old 04-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
99Alero_Boy
Oldz Sleeper

here's a couple pics.......

Old 04-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #10
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

Damn that looks nice. I really would love to do this to my GA.

My ride:
Old 04-19-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
Ya know, I may not be one of the most literate guys on the forum (full truth)..but I've always been interested in the outcome of the getrag swap on a Grand Am and still am. Really..what numbers you turn out will let me know whether I should ship my GA to europe or sell it..I reeeeeeeeeally hope I get to ship it here..
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

My brain kinda kicked in today while helping my friend Zach (BlkGT1397) put his interior back in and I realized that... hey. I had a 3.1 V6 Sunfire w/ a 5 speed before and wondered how hard it would be to drop one in the GA.

My ride:
Old 04-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #13
[ChaosweaveR]
So that's Vtec...

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 15 Honda Accord Sport
[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points[ChaosweaveR] has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to [ChaosweaveR]
That is killer. I'd love to have a clutch in mine. I like those wheels, and the GA mirrors look great too.

2015 Honda Accord Sport Sedan: K24W
2003 Mitsubishi Galant ES: 4G64
[ChaosweaveR] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLover007 View Post
Definitely. IDK WTF GM was thnking about by not having a 5 speed option on the GA's. They had it on the V6 Sunbirds.

Headache from the car and hangover from the beer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomLover007 View Post
My brain kinda kicked in today while helping my friend Zach (BlkGT1397) put his interior back in and I realized that... hey. I had a 3.1 V6 Sunfire w/ a 5 speed before and wondered how hard it would be to drop one in the GA.
. I didn't realise I posted something like this twice...

My ride:
Old 04-24-2009, 07:05 PM   #15
Rich

AKA: Rich
Vehicle: 2001 2.4 Grand Am
Rich a trusted member
im glad you didnt let all the roadblocks get you down and stop with the project. i too would like to see more manual GA's and your alero all finished up. good luck with the rest of the install.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #16
GT-squared
GAGT - Member

AKA: Frank
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT sedan
GT-squared Gettin' there
I didn't have as much trouble with axles when I did mine. I guess I was lucky. I used the axles from the base 2.4 Alero/Grand Am and the lengths were fine. Mind you, your's will probably hold up a heck of a lot longer than mine will. Especially once the boost kicks in. They take a **** kicking. LOL.

BTW, I used the tranny from the 2.2L Cavalier, 2001. 2000 - 2002 is the only year that the bellhousing bolt pattern for that tranny was the same. Someone mentioned earlier about the old tranny off the 3.1L Sunbird/Z-24 Cavaliers. These units are not as strong as the Getrag out of the newer Cavalier IMO.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #17
timka86
6 Speed GT

AKA: Tim
Vehicle: 2005 G35 Sedan 6MT
timka86 Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to timka86
Or you could have done a 6 speed....

good job though
Old 05-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
99Alero_Boy
Oldz Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-squared View Post
I didn't have as much trouble with axles when I did mine. I guess I was lucky. I used the axles from the base 2.4 Alero/Grand Am and the lengths were fine. Mind you, your's will probably hold up a heck of a lot longer than mine will. Especially once the boost kicks in. They take a **** kicking. LOL.

BTW, I used the tranny from the 2.2L Cavalier, 2001. 2000 - 2002 is the only year that the bellhousing bolt pattern for that tranny was the same. Someone mentioned earlier about the old tranny off the 3.1L Sunbird/Z-24 Cavaliers. These units are not as strong as the Getrag out of the newer Cavalier IMO.
The tranny that I am using is the older one out of the cavaliers. They are much stronger than the new ones IMO if they are built properly like mine is. There are plenty of fiero guys with the same transmission as me pushing 400whp no problem.......there are even two with case reinforcement above 700hp.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM   #19
cmtapanes
GAGT - Member

AKA: Carlos
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am Coupe
cmtapanes Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to cmtapanes
so where are the other parts comming from? (pedals, shifter, cables, etc.)
cmtapanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:05 PM   #20
99Alero_Boy
Oldz Sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtapanes View Post
so where are the other parts comming from? (pedals, shifter, cables, etc.)
the pedals, shifter, and cables along with the correct interior piece all came from GM for a 2.4 5 speed alero. The link beteen the shifter and the shift cables was kind of tricky because we needed a ball and socket link with a square bottom to fit the brackets on the tranny. I ha no idea what we were going to do until we were sitting around my buddies old chevy pickup in the shopping drinking after a long day in the shop. I looked down and for some reason that the ball part of the ball and socket joint on either side of the bed of his pickup. I unscrewed them and they work perfect.... iot was so weird that those would work......