Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - News > Personal Vehicle News

Old 11-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #101
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
...that is all

what inside your engine is copper lead and tin? the crank bearings?
what is that crank scraper made of?

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter
-still LOUD AS FCK though

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
-probably less than 1000 miles on it in the last 3 years...

Last edited by MAC the KNIFE; 11-23-2011 at 02:50 PM.
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 PM   #102
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Crank and rod bearings are basically multiple layers of those. Crank scrapper is just steel. I know that's not the issue though. If that was touching I definitely would have heard it. I don't see how it could with 2mil+ clearance everywhere.

They give you universal averages with the oil reports, and iron/copper/lead/tin are usually 14/13/4/1. My previous reports the iron and copper where always a little bit high but lead and tin where always right on target. Now my iron and copper are even higher (58 and 384) and lead and tin are way out of range now too (238 and 26). I would say that's a pretty good sign one of the bearings is toast. No idea which one, but I'm betting on a rod. I'm going to see if I can get my friend to take a video of the noise with his phone friday or saturday and I'll post it up.

For now I've been doing some more oil research and I think I'm going to find some Mobil1 0w40. From what I've read the first number is a cold viscosity rating and the second is at operating temp. I looked at the actual cSt viscosity numbers rated at 40 and 100 degrees and it looks like the Mobil 0w40 will provide the best protection by being thin enough to lubricate well at cold start up but a little thicker than the 5w30 at full operating temp, which is where I'm losing the most oil pressure. Hopefully that will make it hold together until I can get it fixed.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 PM   #103
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Made a short video of the knocking noise. Just got a mini digital video camera that I've been playing around with. Won it as a prize at my works Christmas party.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #104
GrandAmMe
It's Personal...

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: 2006 Saab 93 Aero
GrandAmMe Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to GrandAmMe
That don't sound good at all...
Old 12-06-2011, 10:26 PM   #105
blckgagt
~Turbocharged~

AKA: Randy
Vehicle: 99 GAGT, 07 Vette
blckgagt Gettin' there
Dang dude....that doesn't sound good at all.
400whp 435wtq - MMS Race Block w/ 8.5:1 comp ratio, Eagle H-beam rods. MMS Stage 2 heads, Turbo Cam, chromemoly pushrods, GM gaskets. MMS 65 mm Turbo Kit w 60lb/hr injectors, Walbro fuel pump, powdercoated engine. MMS 3.29 4t65eHD conv., 3500 stall TC. Milzy headers w/ downpipe, magnaflow exhaust, FFP Pulley, f/r strut braces, Msd 8.5 SC wires, *** bodykit, Bilstein Coilovers. 17x8 AE 185s. Pioneer HU, B/A speakers. Baer brakes. Wot-tech engine mount. SB Rear Swaybar. ES Poly links
blckgagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:29 PM   #106
lightningGA
Bagged and Boosted!!

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: Boosted 00 GA
lightningGA Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to lightningGA Send a message via Yahoo to lightningGA
Ouch!!!

Eaton SUPER CHARGED!!!!!
lightningGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 PM   #107
speedfreak1
GAGT - Member

AKA: I am me
Vehicle: Grand Am GT1
speedfreak1 Gettin' there
you always seem to have an issue with that thing. sounds like its time for the engine to come back out, or is that just the damn piston slap..
Old 12-07-2011, 05:15 AM   #108
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

what a disgusting sound...

on the plus side, that new camera takes good audio and vids.

so what is the next step?

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #109
geldartb
With the quickness

AKA: Brendan
Vehicle: 03 Outback H6
geldartb has made plenty of valid pointsgeldartb has made plenty of valid points
go back to who ever did the "rebuild" and i use that term loosely.

is this the same shop you had problems with before if so you really need to go somewhere else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMindz View Post
Well you shouldn't have left your laptop exposed when there was a chance of golden showers...
geldartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #110
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

No, I don't think it has anything to do with the shop. They only did the machine work on boring/honing the block, installed the cam bearings, and assembled the new pistons to the rods. I assembled the engine. I have no idea why it did this though since I didn't have any crank work or rod modifications done, and I used stock size replacement bearings. Only thing I can think is that the tolerance on one of the bearings was just off somehow, or it was caused by detonation... although it never ate a rod bearing before when it would see minor KR.

At this point I don't know which cylinder it is, or even what it is for sure. The engine is definitely going to have to come out at some point, but I don't have the capabilities to do this any more. I don't have another car to drive anymore, or access to a hoist or engine stand, or long term access to a garage. I'm going to have to take it to a shop and have them do everything this time unfortunately. I'll probably use the shop that did the other work for me since they are familiar with the engine. I have absolutely NO money for this right now either though since I just spent several thousand dollars rebuilding the engine last time, rebuilding the supercharger, and modifying other stuff on the setup.

For now, I just fixed a bicycle that I had that needed some work, and I'm going to ride that locally and drive the car as little as possible. I'm keeping it under 3k rpm and babying it. Luckily I live 1/2 mile from work and the grocery store, so there aren't a lot of places I need to drive. And also lucky I'm in FL right now and not a snow state!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #111
unchained_01
Manic Mechanic

AKA: albert
Vehicle: 2003 grand am gt
unchained_01 Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to unchained_01 Send a message via Yahoo to unchained_01
Well that's what it sounds like to me piston slap. Sounds like wrist pin going. And you will get the same Oil contamination. But I guess time will tell when you get it apart again
Old 12-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #112
HOYS
lolGM

AKA: Colin
Vehicle: 2001 Impreza 2.5 RS
HOYS Still kinda new, but learning
Dat rod knock.

3500 swap...poke...poke...
HOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #113
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOYS View Post
3500 swap...poke...poke...
I agree ..... cammed 3500
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #114
HOYS
lolGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O1GAGT View Post
I agree ..... cammed 3500
Problem is it wouldn't be a GA anymore and he couldn't claim to be one of the few, the proud, the boosted.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:54 AM   #115
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

^really?? adding insult to injury is so classy

2009 G8 gt

Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #116
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

Quote:
Originally Posted by unchained_01 View Post
Well that's what it sounds like to me piston slap. Sounds like wrist pin going. And you will get the same Oil contamination. But I guess time will tell when you get it apart again

Highly, highly unlikely... given that the engine was just bored and honed so the piston to wall clearances are tight, and all the pistons and pins are brand new.

And I don't think you would get the same oil contamination either. Wrist pins don't have the high lead and tin content that rod and crank bearings do. The labs commentary told me it was probably one of those based on the metal content of the oil.

But yeah, I'll know for sure when I'm able to get it pulled again. And no, I'm NOT doing a 3500 swap. No real benefit for barely a few extra CC's from what I'm running now, and I would have to buy more parts and do more modifications. If anything I would be tempted to do the 3500 top swap to lower compression to work better with the boost and try keep the detonation down, but really I'd rather try a meth/water injection system first. It should do a better job and actually allow me to run more timing without lowering compression.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #117
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
But yeah, I'll know for sure when I'm able to get it pulled again. And no, I'm NOT doing a 3500 swap. No real benefit for barely a few extra CC's from what I'm running now, and I would have to buy more parts and do more modifications. If anything I would be tempted to do the 3500 top swap to lower compression to work better with the boost and try keep the detonation down, but really I'd rather try a meth/water injection system first. It should do a better job and actually allow me to run more timing without lowering compression.
If you are going to do a 3500 top swap you might as well do a complete 3500 swap. Especially as you need to remove your engine again any way.

You are going to have more money in fixing your current engine and doing a 3500 top swap than you would buying a complete low mileage 3500 along with the extras needed for the install.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:39 PM   #118
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

Well, I don't think there is any advantage in swapping in a 3500, and like I said I don't really want to do a top swap. The only reason I would is to lower the CR to control detonation, but meth/water injection would be better and that's what I plan to do. I already have a set of good worked over 3400 heads anyway, so I wouldn't need the 3500 stuff for flow.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #119
HOYS
lolGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
Well, I don't think there is any advantage in swapping in a 3500, and like I said I don't really want to do a top swap. The only reason I would is to lower the CR to control detonation, but meth/water injection would be better and that's what I plan to do. I already have a set of good worked over 3400 heads anyway, so I wouldn't need the 3500 stuff for flow.
The point is, your bottom end is fu*ked.

3500's are cheap, produce more horsepower, and are stronger.

I think you are getting a bit too deep into thought about what to do with this car. We aren't a F1 racing team where every little nut and bolt will affect the car's performance.

We drive over-weight FWD Grocery Getters.

Put the 3500 in and join 2011
Old 12-10-2011, 01:33 AM   #120
locoman99
710ci...per cylinder

AKA: mitch conner
Vehicle: 1999 ga gt1.
locoman99 is infamous around these parts, but not in a good way
U have spun a rod bearing...put money on it...if u wanna know which one, just stary pulling plug wires u know when u get to the bad one. Then shut it off and dont start it again before u destroy ur crank
locoman99 is offline   Reply With Quote