GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 02-13-2017, 04:13 AM   #1
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

AKA: JimmyB
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
gtsouth Gettin' there
Loud Ticking

Hello all. I know that our motors are known for ticking but all of a sudden after driving my car for 14 years the tick got loud! So I decided to try something I've never done before. Engine work! Any way I have my engine dismantled down to the point where I can change my lim gaskets. I tried wiggling each push rod and sure enough one did move a little. Could this be my loud ticking issue? Collapsed lifter maybe? I will be posting some picks as well to see what you guys think of how the inside of my engine looks. I'm not sure if it is normal, good, bad or what ever. I have 256,000 on her. Also, while I have the engine torn down this far what are some other things I should look at or replace? I'm going to get a full gasket kit minus head gaskets. I'm sure I will have some other questions along the way. Thanks
Old 02-14-2017, 04:52 AM   #2
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
Here is what some of my internals look like. Nasty!!

Injectors

Under LIM

Under Valve Cover

In head

Rockers and push rods

So is all of this pretty bad or normal for 256,000 miles? Also is that brown sludge coolant or condensation?

Last edited by gtsouth; 02-14-2017 at 04:54 AM.
gtsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:43 AM   #3
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
Here are some more pics of the ports of the UIM, LIM, and the heads. There is ruff black junk in them. Is this bad?

Old 02-16-2017, 04:45 AM   #4
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
And do I need a new rocker arm if these two parts slide apart from each other? All of my other rockers the bottom piece stays on the bolt. Thank you.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #5
Madness10
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matthew
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1
Madness10 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsouth View Post
And do I need a new rocker arm if these two parts slide apart from each other? All of my other rockers the bottom piece stays on the bolt. Thank you.

That's normal for the spacer to come apart. The others might just be stuck together.
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #6
Madness10
GAGT - Member

Madness10 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsouth View Post
Here are some more pics of the ports of the UIM, LIM, and the heads. There is ruff black junk in them. Is this bad?

That's normal. Its just oil burning thru the egr valve into intake. Most modern cars do that. My old Saturn did the same thing.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #7
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
That's normal for the spacer to come apart. The others might just be stuck together.

Thank you very much for the info! I feel pretty stupid about the rocker arm now. .
Old 02-16-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
What spark plugs would you recommend? I haven't changed them in a very very very long time. I should get those done too.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
Looks pretty normal for an engine with your mileage. Also looks like the lower intake gasket was leaking coolant into the oil. I would clean it up the best you can and put it back together. Maybe take the parts to a manual car wash and hose them down to knock the crud off. The rocker arm is fine as it will bolt down on the pedistal.

As for spark plugs, check on www.rockauto.com. I prefer ac delco or NGK plugs.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:39 PM   #10
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
Yup. I decided on the NGKs. I'm ordering everything from rockauto.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #11
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
The black stuff in the ports is carbon deposits from the EGR and PCV systems on the car. Pretty normal, but it is a good idea to clean it up if you can. The gunk inside the heads and under the valve covers and lower intake though... that's not good. That's a sign of coolant getting into your oil. If you ran it for a long time like that, you could have other internal wear or damage. The ticking noise could have been caused by wear and excessive play in any number of places. Lifters, pushrods, rockers, the cam itself... it's hard to say. It would take a knowledgeable person some time doing inspections and measurements to figure out what. If it was me, I'd replace all those components with new. At the very least, make sure you put everything back in the spot it came out of (parts wear into place over time), and check everything for excessive play. Make sure you release any oil pressure in the lifters first by pressing a small screw drivers into the hole in the cap for a second.

If you decide to put it back together as is, clean all the gasket mating surfaces... DON'T use a metal gasket scraper or any kind of abrasive as you'll damage the surface, use a plastic scrapper or gasket remover spray... then put it back together using a good gasket kit. I prefer Fel-pro. Fill it with some cheap oil and a can of Sea-foam or other oil additive/engine cleaner, and a cheap filter. Run it up to normal operating temp, then drain it and change the filter again. Hopefully that gets all the sludge out.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:32 PM   #12
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
Thanks for your input Aaron. I'm going to clean it all the best I can and replace the lifter that was bad. I would like to replace everything but I just can't afford it. This is my daily driver and the only car I had running so I need to get her in working order ASAP. Before I loosened any rocker bolts I tried wiggling the push rods and rockers. They all were solid except for one. The push rod was able to move up and down and turn freely which was causing the slop between it and the rocker. That's why I was sure the lifter collapsed. All rocker arms are ok and the push rods are strait. I'm planning on dropping my oil pan and cleaning/inspecting what I can. I am doing all new fel-pro gaskets. Not one 0ring or gasket I take off is going to be reused. I will follow your advice about the cheap oil and seafoam, plastic scraper and lifters. Thank you again.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #13
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
Well I'm getting things cleaned up. I have a couple of more questions though. First is after cleaning my lifters I can not depress them at all. Shouldn't I be able to push them down when they are empty? Also there are some pits in the heads where the gasket goes. pics are below.

Now here are the pits I was talking about.

Last edited by gtsouth; 02-19-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #14
Madness10
GAGT - Member

Madness10 Gettin' there
The pits around the water ports are normal on alum. Happens to all cars sooner or later.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:49 PM   #15
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness10 View Post
The pits around the water ports are normal on alum. Happens to all cars sooner or later.
Well I was wondering if it was bad enough to fill them. I guess some people use jb weld to fill the pits. I would hate to put on new gaskets and still have it leak.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 AM   #16
Madness10
GAGT - Member

Madness10 Gettin' there
I haven't had a problem with the 2 cars that I've done them on. I don't think it's advisable to use anything to fill in the pits. May want to check with machine shop first.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #17
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
Worst case, smear a thin coat of RTV over it when you reassemble. I would not use JB weld.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #18
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by O1GAGT View Post
Worst case, smear a thin coat of RTV over it when you reassemble. I would not use JB weld.

I suppose RTV is a good sealer since it's used for gaskets. I think that will work. The kit comes with the black stuff I believe. I'll probably smear it on and scrap it off with a plastic scraper to fill the pits and install the gaskets. Sounds like it will work. I just don't want to risk leaking with the new gaskets. God the factory ones are crap!! LOL
Old 02-20-2017, 10:57 AM   #19
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
I had the LIM gaskets changed because of a coolant leak back in 2003. It was done by a dealership because it still had a warranty. They put the same junk gaskets in.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 AM   #20
gtsouth
Owned car since 2003

gtsouth Gettin' there
So I got one head off. Just wondering how this looks? I discovered many broken exhaust bolts before I even touched them. Both exhaust manifold bolts or cylinder 2 were gone. Could this be letting water in? That cylinder looks pretty clean.

Last edited by gtsouth; 02-22-2017 at 06:15 AM.