GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
4banger4ever
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Christopher
Vehicle: '05 Am Manual
4banger4ever Gettin' there
Unhappy Short Throw shift Cable Q (The one that goes to the steering column)

So, me and my friend calibrated the two driverside cables well, then got to the third cable on the passenger side and could not figure out the mechanism behind it. It seemed to be missing a connection underneath the shifter case. Does anyone know how to connect this cable to something? It has a spring with a white cover acting as a bearing and on the underside the pin holding it in acts as a rudder, and the rudder has some rub so it must do something or connect to something. I called a dealership and he called it the shift lock cable, it goes to the steering column so I assume it has something to do with the key/ignition. Any help? I have work at six and i neeeed my car!
Thanks ,
Crimde
4banger4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #2
Lab Rat
Fear the Four

AKA: Craig
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE
Lab Rat Gettin' there
My cable is disconnected now but here's what I know. It connects to the rudder piece and that is connected in the shifter. When connected, it is operated when in reverse. Then you can get your key out of the igniton. Since it has slack (not connected and operating) it will NOT lock you ign. I know it sounds like I'm rambling, just hard to explain. Hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:23 AM   #3
4banger4ever
GAGT - Newbie

I guess I only wonder how it connects to the shifter? Seems like it would connect to one of those clips, on the vertical (middle) cable. I have to deliver pizzas at six, so Im sure I will just leave it disconnected. frustrated

Did you replace the plastic sleeve around the ball? That seems to be the cause of alot of play in my shifter, I used the old one.

thanks alot btw
Old 02-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
Lab Rat
Fear the Four

Lab Rat Gettin' there
Just connects to the rudder piece. Believe me you are better off without it. My shifter was used and when I originally connected it I could not get it to shift at all.

I have not replaced the ball, still just sloppy. I do understand there MAY be a short throw shifter for us, just never found one yet.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
Lab Rat
Fear the Four

Lab Rat Gettin' there
Hey, I just reread your title. Did you put a short throw shifter in? What kind and did you have any install issues (besides the third cable). I should be more observant.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
4banger4ever
GAGT - Newbie

Final result was what I expected, still alot of play but overall a more comfortable throw. I left the key mech. unhooked. And I used the stock shift ball

Tags
cable, install, short throw