GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Warranty, TSB and Recall Info

Old 07-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #21
Y2KGA
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE Coupe
Y2KGA Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGTR View Post
I would disagree with you on that. 88,000+ miles on my GA and not one ignition switch issue. 126,000 miles on the GP I used to own when I bought it, and it had ignition switch issues.

Anyway, the issues some/most GA owners have with theirs have nothing to do with the ignition switch accidentally turning off during operation, which is what this whole recall is about. It's usually a no start issue due to electrical malfunction in the ignition switch either not sending the correct signal to the BCM to activate the fuel pump or not activating the starter motor. Nothing with the actual mechanical tumbler itself.

As stated above, you won't be receiving an actual new ignition switch, and I agree this is just GM going through the motions to look proactive and avoid future scandals.
Agreed, GA lock cylinders are trash but they are not unsafe. They will simply prevent the car from starting (passlock) or freeze up mechanically.
Y2KGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM   #22
WireGeek
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE
WireGeek Gettin' there
Well OK fine, the key has been removable on mine when in any position since 180K miles on it.

I know I need to replace it, but the dealer isn't doing it. Honestly I've been wrenching on cars since I was 16 years old, 29 years now. AND when it comes to decades involved with the Auto industry and all the mechanics I've met, there are 2 I would let work on my car, the rest of them I wouldn't let replace a spark plug in my lawn mower, they'd cross thread it and screw it up.

Warranty or no, the only one that will be replacing the ignition switch in my car is me
Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #23
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by WireGeek View Post
Well OK fine, the key has been removable on mine when in any position since 180K miles on it.
My grand am did that at 32k and one year old. That was pretty sweet. Start the car in the winter and lock the door. Or leave the a/c when i go into a store.
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:47 AM   #24
zzyzzx
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 1999 Alero GL V6 ATX
zzyzzx Gettin' there
So if I have already replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch, this should be a better fix than the recall, correct?
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 04:59 PM   #25
Madness10
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matthew
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT1
Madness10 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzyzzx View Post
So if I have already replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch, this should be a better fix than the recall, correct?
No. Read my comment on your other post.
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote