GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Warranty, TSB and Recall Info

Old 03-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
ItsMeScottG
Tech Guy

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG Gettin' there
Recall, please read

I called up GM (Cooperate) because of the lock cylinder issues that I've been having with my car and they requested that I bring my car into a dealership and have it diagnosed for free so that they can add it to the recent recall if need be. Well the dealer diagnosed my car and sent approval to GM to add the Grand Am to the recall list. I was told that if I pay to have it fixed that GM will reimburse me the cost and install a new part in my car sometime in April free of charge (if my car is added to the recall). So please if anyone else has issues with their Ignition lock cylinder, please contact GM and bring it into a dealership to get it checked out. I'm not sure how many people it will take to do this, however, so far from what I've been told today by GM and the dealership, GM is seriously looking into adding the N-body to this recall. The dealership contacted GM and told them that my car is having the sale issue as reported in the recall.

SC/T Spoiler, PFYC Sway SpeedBuilt bars, PFYC SpeedBuilt strut braces, Rear disc brake setup, Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines, red painted calipers, 20% Black Tint, Cat-Back Exhaust, Amber Grille Lighting, Pioneer AVIC-940BT with XM, Live Traffic, & Rear-view Camera, Front Bra, lower bumper grille, Stubby Antenna, Michelin Defender Tires...

My Current vehicle:
2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #2
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
How will you know if you are having ignition lock cylinder problems?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
ItsMeScottG
Tech Guy

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDavis View Post
How will you know if you are having ignition lock cylinder problems?
Key doesn't grip properly, when going over bumps or speed bumps it falls over into another position like accessory. Key comes out when car is running, ect

Well anyways those are they symptoms that my car is having. I figured my lock cylinder is just worn out but the dealership and GM say it's he same issue as the recall.

SC/T Spoiler, PFYC Sway SpeedBuilt bars, PFYC SpeedBuilt strut braces, Rear disc brake setup, Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines, red painted calipers, 20% Black Tint, Cat-Back Exhaust, Amber Grille Lighting, Pioneer AVIC-940BT with XM, Live Traffic, & Rear-view Camera, Front Bra, lower bumper grille, Stubby Antenna, Michelin Defender Tires...

My Current vehicle:
2005 BMW 330CI ZHP
ItsMeScottG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
ignition cylinder problems?

i too had key problems... HAD.
here's a pic during my "push button start" install

yeah that's right, the car is running in this pic.

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter
-still LOUD AS FCK though

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
-probably less than 1000 miles on it in the last 3 years...
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
Now that will be interesting to see if they actually do recall the N body cars. My GM dealer didn't even want to replace the turn signal flasher hazard switch under warranty even though I had a letter in my hand from NHTSA proving that GM would cover the cost under warranty...but they finally did it after calling GM. So I'm sure they would probably chase me out of the service area if I went back in there now for an ignition issue on a 15 year old vehicle.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Yeah, I've never had an issue with mine... but, it's only got 86k miles on it too, and I don't have any extra weight on my key ring. Just the key and fob. I suppose any car's lock cylinder can wear out after a lot of use, so do you say it's a defective part, or that it's normal wear? I guess the deciding factor will probably be if the GA used the same lock cylinder as the later cars (doubtful but possible), and if they do an investigation and find any accidents that might be related to the issue (which could be tough after so many years).
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #7
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC the KNIFE View Post

Pants have been shat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #8
TDavis
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: Tanner
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SC/T
TDavis a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeScottG View Post
Key doesn't grip properly, when going over bumps or speed bumps it falls over into another position like accessory. Key comes out when car is running, ect

Well anyways those are they symptoms that my car is having. I figured my lock cylinder is just worn out but the dealership and GM say it's he same issue as the recall.
Haven't had anything close to that type of problem.

Quote:
ignition cylinder problems?

i too had key problems... HAD.
here's a pic during my "push button start" install

I drove my car without the door panel for a day and it felt like I was on a bare bones race car
Old 03-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #9
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
Quote:

I drove my car without the door panel for a day and it felt like I was on a bare bones race car
I once drove without the rear deck cover and my glove box (was doing projects with them at the time) for a few months..best anti-theft out there..nobody wants to break into a car missing interior pieces..
Quote:
Originally Posted by [ChaosweaveR] View Post
Why do you keep thinking I'm some right wing faggot?
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
MAC the KNIFE
always cuttin' up

AKA: MAC
Vehicle: Red 99 GT coupe
MAC the KNIFE a trusted member
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxus View Post
I once drove without the rear deck cover and my glove box (was doing projects with them at the time) for a few months..best anti-theft out there..nobody wants to break into a car missing interior pieces..
when i was trying to find the water leak a few years ago, i completely stripped the interior. carpet, all trim pieces, center console, rear seats, passenger seat.
i swear the car "felt" lighter and FASTER . it felt way roomier too!
liked it that way so much, i left it all out for several months. if you've never done it, you're just not a car guy man

2009 G8 gt
no more Big Gears, buh-bye coilovers... illusions of making this a racecar have passed. 12.78 @112.. not a bad grocery getter
-still LOUD AS FCK though

2006 GTO completely stock. rip at 39k.

99 GAGT 108k miles, Borla cat-back, CAI, 65mm TB, EGR delete, WOT-tech intakes, F-Body Brakes w/ Hawk HPS pads.
Suede headliner, heated seats, jvc HU, infinity speakers+amp+subs, LEDs
-probably less than 1000 miles on it in the last 3 years...
MAC the KNIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 PM   #11
SkiZZor
GAGT - Member

AKA: Kevin
Vehicle: 2008 VW .:R32
SkiZZor Gettin' there
Mine would have this problem. I could pull the key out while i was driving. It actually came in handy sometimes cause I always kept my glovebox locked.

- 1999 Grand Am GT-1
| Stage 3 Cold Air Intake | Pacesetter Cat-Back Exhaust | F-Body Brake Upgrade | 18" Motegi MR117 Rims | SD Hood | Black Housing Headlights | 6000K HID Kit | Gen2 Black LED Tail Lights | Front and Rear STBs | 2 12" Infinity 1262w Reference Subs | 1800w Kenwood Amp | 6 Farad Capacitor | Sony Xplod BT2700 |
SkiZZor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
tw0123
osv in progress

AKA: Tim
Vehicle: 2002 Alero
tw0123 Gettin' there
Quote:
when i was trying to find the water leak a few years ago, i completely stripped the interior. carpet, all trim pieces, center console, rear seats, passenger seat.
liked it that way so much, i left it all out for several months. if you've never done it, you're just not a car guy man
When I did the interior swap on the alero to the grand am interior the only pieces I had wad the drivers seat and the gauge cluster zip tied to the frame! There's your race car !
tw0123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
geldartb
With the quickness

AKA: Brendan
Vehicle: 03 Outback H6
geldartb has made plenty of valid pointsgeldartb has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
i was gonna strip the sound insulation out from under the carpet until i pulled the carpet and found there wasn't any except where you put your feet.. the carpet in my Z26 had sound insulation everywhere it weighed a TON.

i've driven around with missing interior pieces and what not. kinda funny when people look in the car and see them gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SikMindz View Post
Well you shouldn't have left your laptop exposed when there was a chance of golden showers...
geldartb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Y2KGA
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE Coupe
Y2KGA Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeScottG View Post
I called up GM (Cooperate) because of the lock cylinder issues that I've been having with my car and they requested that I bring my car into a dealership and have it diagnosed for free so that they can add it to the recent recall if need be. Well the dealer diagnosed my car and sent approval to GM to add the Grand Am to the recall list. I was told that if I pay to have it fixed that GM will reimburse me the cost and install a new part in my car sometime in April free of charge (if my car is added to the recall). So please if anyone else has issues with their Ignition lock cylinder, please contact GM and bring it into a dealership to get it checked out. I'm not sure how many people it will take to do this, however, so far from what I've been told today by GM and the dealership, GM is seriously looking into adding the N-body to this recall. The dealership contacted GM and told them that my car is having the sale issue as reported in the recall.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the N-Body's to be added. I'm willing to bet that your lock cylinder was previously changed due to a passlock failure. Chances are, that replacement switch is a cheap aftermarket or an OEM switch that didn't have the tumblers set correctly when rekeying.
Y2KGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:29 AM   #15
Mad Scientist
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT sedan
Mad Scientist Gettin' there
I have confirmed at this phone number (1-800-222-1020) that all 99 and later GAs are now on the recall list, despite the fact that this site (http://www.gmignitionupdate.com/index.html) has still not been updated yet to reflect that fact. I'm sure other N-bodies are included now as well but I haven't confirmed it.

W-bodies are apparently still NOT on the list, as my 03 Regal GS is still NOT included.

Since this thing first hit the news, I've always suspected the N-bodies would eventually be included, since their ignition switches are already so issue prone, and I also suspected that W-bodies would NOT be included, since their ignition switches aren't so issue prone. I still wanted to check for my Regal anyways though.

Now that my former GAGT is going to get a free new ignition switch, I'm really wishing I hadn't sold it, since my dread of facing that issue sometime in the future, at what would most likely have been a most inopportune time, was one of my deciding factors in selling it! D'oh! Yes, I am fully capable of fixing it myself, but, again, this kind of stuff tends to hit me at the worst possible time, and I simply didn't want it hanging over my head!

It turns out I was right! The new owner started having no-start issues within the first month of buying the car! (At the time I also thought it might be fuel pump related.) When I sold the car, my wife was already about mid-way through her pregnancy! Definitely NOT a good time! Plus I needed the money!

At any rate, you all can go get your ignition switches replaced now!

Regards,
Eric

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 07-07-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:54 AM   #16
Starglow
GAGT - Member

AKA: Starglow
Vehicle: 1999 Grand AM - LX9
Starglow Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist View Post
At any rate, you all can go get your ignition switches replaced now!

Regards,
Eric
Nope....not happening because they are not replacing the ignition switches as part of the recall. GM will send owners a detachable key chain ring so you can remove the ignition key from all other keys on the key ring when driving the car which reduces weight..a factor GM blames for the problem. GM will also send a plastic key ring insert for the ignition key so it changes from an elongated slot to a round hole.

I won't go so far as to say GM won't pay to replace ignition switch assemblies in some cases, but in general that's not happening by default due to the recall...so basically GM is applying bandaids.
Starglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #17
Mad Scientist
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT sedan
Mad Scientist Gettin' there
All I can say is that is NOT what I was told.

Everyone with concerns over this issue should call the number I posted in my previous post and find out for themselves. It's the number that is on their web page that I linked in that same post.

Regards,
Eric
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #18
Y2KGA
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE Coupe
Y2KGA Gettin' there
Quote:
All I can say is that is NOT what I was told.

Everyone with concerns over this issue should call the number I posted in my previous post and find out for themselves. It's the number that is on their web page that I linked in that same post.

Regards,
Eric

Look on www.nhtsa.gov under "search for recalls". You will find official documents from GM. As starglow mentioned, the "fix" is a key ring and a key cover.

The key covers are a "feel good" move by GM to look like they are being proactive. In reality the "fix" will probably cost them under a dollar. Dealers won't even need to bring the cars inside. The service writer will just give the customer the key rings/covers at the desk. I'll bet that most owners won't even bother to do it.

On a side note there may be some liability issues here. On a normal recall the owner can't easily undo the repair. Most recalls involve changing/repairing a part that is permanantly attached to the car. This isn't the case here.

Lets say I go to the dealer and get the key rings/covers. The dealer marks the VIN off as "repaired". A few years go by and I get new keys for whatever reason. These keys don't have the covers on them. I also happen to lose the key ring. I sell the car and the next owner is hurt after the ignition switch turns the car off. Or lets say the next owner gets new keys. Is the new owner supposed to know that you must put a key cover on the key? Running the VIN will reveal no recalls. Are all the key blank manufacturers going to change their design?

For GM to cover themselves they would need to put a sticker on the car saying that the key ring/cover must be used at all times.

Last edited by Y2KGA; 07-08-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Y2KGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #19
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Since this thing first hit the news, I've always suspected the N-bodies would eventually be included, since their ignition switches are already so issue prone, and I also suspected that W-bodies would NOT be included, since their ignition switches aren't so issue prone. I still wanted to check for my Regal anyways though.

I would disagree with you on that. 88,000+ miles on my GA and not one ignition switch issue. 126,000 miles on the GP I used to own when I bought it, and it had ignition switch issues.

Anyway, the issues some/most GA owners have with theirs have nothing to do with the ignition switch accidentally turning off during operation, which is what this whole recall is about. It's usually a no start issue due to electrical malfunction in the ignition switch either not sending the correct signal to the BCM to activate the fuel pump or not activating the starter motor. Nothing with the actual mechanical tumbler itself.

As stated above, you won't be receiving an actual new ignition switch, and I agree this is just GM going through the motions to look proactive and avoid future scandals.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:12 AM   #20
rocketfast123
Was i drunk that day

AKA: Tater Salad
Vehicle: 2001Alero 2.4(5-speed)
rocketfast123 Gettin' there
Point
Quote:
A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Our problem falls into the TSB section (Technical Service Bulletin), if it can't kill you they wont recall.

Story time
Ford is doing a quiet recall right now on it's 2003 - 2005 panther cars. My cousin was driving his 03 grand marquis and the head lights went out. Parking were on and if he held the stick back the brights would come on. The light control module has under spec relay for the low beams. So instead of paying $120 for a new one and pull-a-part didn't have any. I de-soldered the relay from the control board and added an external one. $10 later and it's fixed. (I love car forums)

I call ford and at the time, and they were not recalling it. And about a month ago he got a letter to take it in to get serviced. It goes back to "If X is less than the cost of a recall"
"Used car dealers are scum of the earth, and the more ball-busting you can do to them, the more I salute you. If he won't budge, let it sit a couple of weeks, then go in and offer him $750, reminding him that he won't get jack **** for it at auction."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyalero View Post
I could be wrong, but if you keep clearing the code with the OBDII scanner, it will keep coming back until the problem is solved.
rocketfast123 is offline   Reply With Quote