GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 02-26-2017, 01:47 AM   #1
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Hunter
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am SE1 3.4
Hcates95 Gettin' there
Exclamation Is the BCM the culprit?

Their may or may not be a thread similar to this somewhere but couldn't really find any answers in other threads. Sorry in advance for the long post! So i picked up an 01 Grand Am SE1 with the 3400 to buy and flip for a profit. It was missing a BCM when i bought it. So i get it home and find what seems to be the perfect BCM from the junkyard. Same year, submodel, options, motor. I hook it up and tow it to a local shop to get the proper VIN programmed into it. (The dealerships refuse to work on anything 10 years or older over here.) So the lady from the shop calls me and says that the correct VIN was already in it so that couldn't be the problem. Seems impossible right? I didnt really believed her and talk to the two techs in person and they said the same but athey were both really young guys and they didnt seem to know exactly what they were talking about. So i pay them their money and tow it home. I was still having the same problem as always, a solid red security light 24/7 that refuses to flash for any relearns. So i proceed to change the igntion lock cylinder with new coded keys, ignition switch and do the 2200 ohm resister bypass. Still nothing. SOLID RED SECURITY LIGHT ALL THE TIME. Turns over strong but won't start. I was going to ship the BCM off to White Auto and Media Sevices but they are closed for a few weeks for whatever reason and wouldn't answer my questions until he opened. So what do y'all think? BCM issue or another problem Im not thinking of?
Hcates95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:11 AM   #2
gregraisbeck
GAGT - Member

AKA: Greg
Vehicle: '05 SC/T
gregraisbeck Gettin' there
When the BCM is out the car will not even crank, i believe it will just click once and the lights comes on dash. I remember someone saying that they had a similar problem with the crank sensor (7x) inside the reluctant wheel of the crank pulley or maybe the 24x sensor on the back of the block. Hope this atleast gets you some key words to search and find a solution
Custom Air Suspension...in progress and being difficult

Can't wait to get my GA moving again
gregraisbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
Madness10
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matthew
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1
Madness10 Gettin' there
I would also agree with Greg that it could be the crank sensor or the cam sensor. Just for FYI, there are no coded keys for our cars. The keys are just reg keys, unless you was talking about having the keys and switch rekeyed for your car.
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #4
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Would those sensors being shot cause the security light to stay on though?...and i wasnt really sure about the keys. The details on the lock cylinder said something about them having soemthing in them. Must of been BS. Lol
Old 02-26-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Also about the BCM...when i bought the car it had no BCM at all and it did crank and turn over just fine. Just no start.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
My suggestion would be to get both the pcm and bcm from the same car. Replace both and see what happens.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Thats actually really smart. Havent thought about that. Hope the pcm in the car from the junkyard is still there...
Old 02-27-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
gregraisbeck
GAGT - Member

I think even having the BCM and pcm from same car will not solve problem due to the radio looking for a specific set of numbers to allow the starter to engage. Im not great at electrical or tuning stuff. I believe you need a tek2 from a dealer to program the car to allow it to start. Its usually a 1 hour labor fee. From there you can start the car and get codes.

But beyond all of that, I would check all of the physical connections and components. I had a car with a bent reluctant wheel that caused this same issue.

Good luck man

Old 02-27-2017, 08:20 PM   #9
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

O1GAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregraisbeck View Post
I think even having the BCM and pcm from same car will not solve problem due to the radio looking for a specific set of numbers to allow the starter to engage. Im not great at electrical or tuning stuff. I believe you need a tek2 from a dealer to program the car to allow it to start. Its usually a 1 hour labor fee. From there you can start the car and get codes.

But beyond all of that, I would check all of the physical connections and components. I had a car with a bent reluctant wheel that caused this same issue.

Good luck man
Not the case, many people have swapped out the factory radio without issue. GM theft lock on radios requires a code to reactivate the radio. This is different than PassLock or VATS.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
Old 02-28-2017, 01:32 AM   #10
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
What if i put an after market radio? I have one laying around and all the stuff to install it that i pulled from a GA in the junkyard. Also i was planning on sending the BCM to WAMS because the dealerships around here refuse to work on anything over 10 years old. The shop that i feel like didnt even do crap with the BCM also said it wasnt throwing any codes. Thought maybe taking the radio out when i first got it would throw a security code or something. The radio constantly says "locked" on it. And whats a reluctant wheel? Lol
Old 02-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #11
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Update

I changed the factory radio with a pioneer deck and noticed that the bolts holding the harnesses onto the pcm were very loose. The car now attempts to start. Half ass starts for a second and instantly dies out. Security light blinks when it fails to start but then goes back solid.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #12
gregraisbeck
GAGT - Member

Try doing the security re learn...prolly the 30 min version to get everything talking. Usually when it will crank bit not start with the security light I think the system shuts off the injectors. You will still hear the fuel pump pressurize the line but it will just flow back through the fuel pressure regulator as no fuel is being injected. You can verify that by spraying some starting fluid into a i intake as car is being cranked and it will fire for the duration of a combustible fluid is present. But the 30 min relearn should get you going.

Old 03-01-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
I tried to 10minute oneagain after but its the aame situation. The security light never blinks.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:23 PM   #14
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

O1GAGT Gettin' there
I am still pretty confident the vin in the pcm and bcm need to match.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #15
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
I agree. Wish i woulda known i could have shipped the bcm off instead of paying a local shop that had no idea what they are doing. Gonna ship it to White audio and media and hopefully he tella me there was something off in the bcm.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #16
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Okay guys SOS. Cant find anyone who i can ship the BCM to program. Help?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:45 PM   #17
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

O1GAGT Gettin' there
Get a pcm and bcm pair from the same car at a junk yard, install and you should be in business.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #18
Madness10
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matthew
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am SE1
Madness10 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcates95 View Post
Okay guys SOS. Cant find anyone who i can ship the BCM to program. Help?
https://wot-tech.com/
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 PM   #19
plastic_indian
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 04 2DS
plastic_indian a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by O1GAGT View Post
Get a pcm and bcm pair from the same car at a junk yard, install and you should be in business.
Can confirm. VTD (vehicle theft deterrant) lock cylinder learn will be required after the module swap, as will radio activation via scan tool. If a self-serve salvage yard is nearby, this will by far offer the most cost effective solution. Since OP ostensibly bought this car to flip, every thin dime is of consequence since even the most well-kept late model Grand Am is currently worth relatively little.

GM VTD strategy varies with engine application, using either starter request disable or injector pulse disable. The LA1 -- at least in the Gen V N body -- relies upon injector pulse disable. A mismatched PCM/BCM combination will result in a CNS condition; OP's situation requires resolving this first, then retest for further possible faults (can OP explain why the previous owner had the BCM out in the first place?). A matched PCM/BCM from a like-equipped donor should enable resolution of that problem.

Beware running changes across model years; in many situations, hardware numbers on the control modules may match while the calibrations produce interesting 'surprises.' For example, a particular '04 model example was fitted with a matched PCM/BCM pair from an identically equipped '03 model. The original BCM did not care when the DRL relay was removed to replace a failed fuel pump relay but the '03 module triggered SVS telltale illumination. More disconcertingly, the PCM was quite unhappy about trying to run the '04 transmission (GM eliminated three of the six pressure switches in the 4t45e for '04). Perhaps other posters can recall running changes on the older Gen Vs and forewarn of any quirks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't need 600HP to merge safely onto a freeway. and if you do, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post
how do you think i ever got girls to show up? i'm only paying for so many of them
plastic_indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:08 PM   #20
Hcates95
GAGT - Newbie

Hcates95 Gettin' there
Okay so i tried a matching pair from an 02 model and now have a matching pair from an 00. (Couldnt find an 01 that still had the pair) Both tries i have the same problem. Security light isnt budging. I dont understand. 2 sets of different computers that are matching and still the same exact problem...

Tags
bcm, body control module, passkey, passlock, security light