GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 09-27-2002, 09:00 AM   #1
morrisangelo
Monkeyspank

morrisangelo Gettin' there
Washer Bottle Leaking

Has anyone else experienced a self-emptying windshield washer bottle on their 99+ Grand Am? My bottle keeps losing all it's fluid, which in turn, makes the dash light come on. I can't see where the leak is coming from. Any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2002, 10:07 AM   #2
Molson
Admininadian!

AKA: Jim
Vehicle: Fords (I know eh?)
Molson a trusted member
Maybe a hole near the bottom? It hangs pretty low. Maybe you did a Cavingman and drilled a hole into it by accident?

(Sorry CM, hehe, can ya look back on it now and laugh?)
Old 09-27-2002, 10:10 AM   #3
Vintalage
Hey paisanos!

Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT1
Vintalage has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Vintalage
huh, interesting. You know, a few weeks ago, i had my washer light come on in my '99 Alero gls and no more washer fluid came out. So i refilled it and the light went off. A day later, the light comes back on. Then it goes off as i drive, then comes back on, goes off (you get the idea). Well, now it's on all the time. So i was thinking the same thing you were thinking, that it is leaking. But I also thought it was just a malfunction. Now i know for sure that it is something more than that.
Vintalage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2002, 03:06 PM   #4
morrisangelo
Monkeyspank

morrisangelo Gettin' there
Well, without being able to pinpoint where it's leaking (kind of suspicious about the plastic bottle's seam), I opted to pickup a new bottle at my local Pontiac dealer. Amazingly, he had it in stock, and even more amazingly, it was only $20. In addition, it comes with two the new rubber gaskets needed...the float sensor gasket and the washer pump gasket. I just installed it this afternoon and anyone who attempts this bottle changeout will find that it's a royal pain in the ass! Bottle assy part number is 12365309. I'll also post it in the parts number catagory of this website...
Morrisangelo
Old 09-29-2002, 09:09 AM   #5
Phantom

On my GT, I have had to replace the washer motor because the lower casing tends to crack. My fix was to put a small waterhose clamp around the casing (with the jackscrew facing the motor) and snugged it down. These pumps run anywhere from $17-$25 depending on locale. If you remove your washer motor for inspection, use caution not to crack the splash guard like I did. Pulling it is a fairly simple process and shouldn't take more than about 15 minutes.