GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 01-26-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
jason1750

Question where is the TCC solenoid?

One of my GA's is 99 SE with the Quad4. I got a check engine light and it said the TCC Solemoid was stuck on and needed to be replaced. I got the part from the dealer but I don't want to pay them to install it. I know this is an easy fix, I am just not sure where to locate it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:09 AM   #2
silverbullet
cold_down_easy

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1
silverbullet Gettin' there
the TCC solenoid is in the tranny...you have to take the pan off, drain the fluid, and go from there...i never replaced mine, but i know its in there (should be two wires and it plugs in somewhere in there)...you might as well get a new filter while you got the pan off.
silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
preed4962
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand AM GT Sedan
preed4962 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to preed4962
Looking at the repair procedure it seems pretty involved. The TCC solenoid is in the valve body of the transmission.

Document ID# 803999
1999 Pontiac Grand Am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Torque Converter Clutch Pulse Width Modulation (TCC PWM) Solenoid Replacement
Replacement Procedure

Important
Retainer clips hold in each of the valve line-ups. Use a small screwdriver in order to remove the retainer clips. Be careful not to score the valve body when removing the retainer clips and valves. Before removing the valve line-ups, inspect each valve line-up for freedom of movement.

Remove the transmission side cover. Refer to Case Side Cover Replacement
Remove the TCC solenoid retainer clip (304), the TCC solenoid (335), with two O-rings (337, 338), and screen, the TCC regulated apply valve (339) and the spring (340).
Installation Procedure

Install the spring (340), the TCC regulated apply valve (339), the TCC solenoid (335) with two O-rings (337 and 338) and screen, and the TCC solenoid retainer clip (304).
Install the transmission side cover. Refer to Case Side Cover Replacement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 803999
1999 Pontiac Grand Am

Here is the procedure for removing the Case Side Cover:

Document ID# 818489
1999 Pontiac Grand Am

Case Side Cover Replacement
Removal Procedure

Remove the air cleaner housing assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.

Remove the underhood electrical center from the bracket.
Remove the underhood electrical center bracket.

Disconnect the shift cable from the PNP switch.
Remove the shift cable bracket.

Remove the PNP switch. Refer to PNP Switch Replacement .
Remove the transmission upper side cover bolts.
Install the engine support fixture. Refer to Engine Support Fixture in Engine Mechanical.
Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the left front tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Remove the left inner fender liner.
Seperate the left ball joint from the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Ball Joint Replacement in Front Suspension.
Remove the wheel drive shaft from the transmission. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement in Wheel Drive Shafts.

Remove the power steering gear mounting bolts. Refer to Power Steering Gear Replacement in Power Steering.
Remove the frame.

Remove the transmission mount. Refer to Transmission Mount Replacement - Front or Transmission Mount Replacement - Rear in Transmission/Transaxle.
Lower the vehicle.
Lower the engine with the engine support fixture.
Raise the vehicle.
Remove the transmission side cover lower bolts.
Remove the transmission side cover.
Installation Procedure

Install the transmission side cover.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Hand start the transmission side cover lower bolts. Tighten
Tighten the side cover bolts and stud to 28 Nm (22 lb ft).

Lower the vehicle.
Raise the engine with the engine support fixture.
Raise the vehicle.
Install the transmission mount. Refer to Transmission Mount Replacement - Front or Transmission Mount Replacement - Rear in Transmission/Transaxle.

Install the frame.
Install the power steering gear mounting bolts. Refer to Power Steering Gear Replacement in Power Steering.

Install the wheel drive shaft to the transmission. Refer to Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement in Wheel Drive Shafts.
Connect the left ball joint to the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Ball Joint Replacement in Front Suspension.
Install the left inner fender liner.
Install the left front tire and wheel. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
Lower the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
Remove the engine support fixture. Refer to Engine Support Fixture in Engine Mechanical.
Hand start the transmission side cover upper bolts. Tighten
Tighten the side cover bolts and stud to 28 Nm (22 lb ft).

Install the PNP switch. Refer to PNP Switch Replacement .

Install the shift cable bracket.
Connect the shift cable from the PNP switch.

Install the underhood electrical center bracket.
Install the underhood electrical center to the bracket.

Install the air cleaner housing assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls.
Fill the transmission. Refer to Capacities - Approximate Fluid in Maintenance and Lubrication.

Document ID# 818489
1999 Pontiac Grand Am
preed4962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 11:12 AM   #4
kubiache
Get blown

Vehicle: 1998 GTP
kubiache Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to kubiache
It's part of the valve body. On the drivers side of the tranny, it's right under the valve body cover. IIRC as you're looking at the valve body it's on the right hand side, opposite the oil pump. I'm not sure how much room you have to work with under a 4-cyl (as I've never looked), but good luck.
'98 GTP - NIC cam / P&P heads / 105# springs / Titanium retainers / INTENSE LW pushrods / CC Lifters / INTENSE TCS-300 / ZZP Poly mounts / RT 3" DP / PEMs / ZZP MPS 3.2, 3.0 / Wizair / 103s / DHP / AFC 2.2 .......still tuning
kubiache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
joeychks1990
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Joey
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am SE Sedan
joeychks1990 Gettin' there
Where do I purchase a tcc?

I have been reading on this forum about torque converter clutch problems. My transmission has been acting a little goofy for the past week so I changed all of the fluid with royal purple yesterday. Today my transmission started slipping really bad I continued to drive and my check engine light came on. I stopped at advanced auto and used their obd2 scanner and its exact diagnosis said that I need a Torque converter control solenoid. Is this the same thing as a Torque converter clutch? Also I have been looking online everywhere for this part and can not find it. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so where do I get the part Neither advanced or autozone carries it the only thing they had was a shift control solenoid. I guess my main question is what is the actual name of the part I need and do I have to go to a GM dealer to get it?
joeychks1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #6
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
First, there is no such thing as a torque convertor clutch. The torque convertor basically takes the place of the clutch in a manual transmission, then there are actual clutch plates for engaging each gear that are activated by fluid pressure controlled by the shift solenoids. The torque convertor control solenoid should control the flow of fluid to the convertor. I believe if that solenoid goes bad and isn't letting fluid get to the convertor, that could be making it slip. It's inside the transmission. I'm sure none of the autoparts stores carry it because it's not something most people are capable of replacing... since you have to drain the trans and take it apart to get to it. It's something normally done in shops and they usually know where to order the part. You should be able to get it at a dealership.

I wouldn't have put that royal purple fluid in it though (aka royal crap). That stuff is nothing but overpriced advertising hype. Their oil sucks. And you don't want to put full synthetic like mobil1 trans fluid in there either. It's actually TOO slippery and will make the trans slip worse. The best thing for it is the newer GM dexron 6 fluid (also more expensive). Otherwise stick with the standard GM dexron 4 it calls for.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
eroylite
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Roy
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Sedan
eroylite Gettin' there
If i recall correctly they require dex3 transmission fluid so ATF might actually be th best bet, not sure tho transmissions are my weak point
eroylite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #8
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroylite View Post
If i recall correctly they require dex3 transmission fluid so ATF might actually be th best bet, not sure tho transmissions are my weak point

It's Dexron 4.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
WidbyJ
GAGT - Member

AKA: Jesse
Vehicle: 1999 Malibu S/C
WidbyJ Gettin' there
Dex 6 will make the trans much happier! Sadly the change-over requires a complete flush and fill, not a cheap thing to do. Mine operates a lot better now, finally able to chirp going to second! Runs cooler also...
WidbyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
O1GAGT
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Phil
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe
O1GAGT Gettin' there
I swapped out the pressure control solenoid in my trans a few months ago. Here is a pic with the side cover removed.
"The world's best cam combined with a poor set of heads will produce an engine that's a dog. But bolt on a set of great heads even with a poor cam, and that engine will still make great power." ~John Lingenfelter
O1GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote