GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-14-2004, 08:48 PM   #1
carpediem1230
Black

AKA: Alex
Vehicle: '99 HID GT
carpediem1230 Gettin' there
crankshaft position sensor

i threw this code yesterday, just a couple of days after installing my new system. could that have anything to do with it? i ran the power wire through the existing hole in the firewall, with the gray grommet. if i would have (don't think i did tho) accidentally sliced a wire in there, could that have done it? also, how important is it that i get this fixed soon? i don't notice a bad idle at all, just really weak shifting. and, do any of you know how much it would cost to get this fixed?
thanks guys.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:40 PM   #2
Filter

hey. I've had this code for a few months. I'd figure your system has NOTHING to do with it. Coincidence.

It's behind the crank pulley. You have to pull the pulley off to get to it. If you have air tools, monster easy job. If not, you're in trouble cause it's on there tight. You won't damage a thing. You'll just get worse has mileage. So no harm if paying a little more at the pump doesn't borther you. It's not much worse, just a little. Also performance may be down cause the sensor helps your car find TDC to run at it's peak performance.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:30 AM   #3
carpediem1230
Black

thanks, that helped a lot. if i'd replace this myself, would i have to hoist the engine up, or can i get to that pulley w/ power tools w/o doing that? also, do you know how much the part costs? thanks.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Filter

These are instructions for installing a performance pulley. Same thing with taking off and putting on the stock one.

http://fastfwdperformance.com/udinfo.htm

The part is like $60
Old 04-15-2004, 05:13 PM   #5
tammikm
GAGT - Member

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 2001 Trailblazer
tammikm Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to tammikm
shifting

I see you guys posting about weak shifting and good hard shifting, how do u tell what a good shift is on an automatic? my car shifts hard sometimes, so it seems to me anyways.. i can feel the shifts for sure, is this good? I thought that you should not even notice it was changing gears with an automatic.

thanks
tammikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:20 PM   #6
carpediem1230
Black

well... kinda hard for me to explain. i know that when i said my car was shift bad, it was noticably different than usual. haha, it actually sounded like a manual shifting, like putting the clutch in and waiting a second before engaging the next gear.
Old 04-15-2004, 05:49 PM   #7
95-GT
Slow 5.0

AKA: David
Vehicle: 89 5.0 Mustang LX
95-GT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 95-GT
Which CKP Sensor was it? The 24x of 3x referance? Cause if its the 24x, I believe thats where the car gets the RPM signal from.
95-GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 05:57 PM   #8
illsmokeyou
enough said........

Vehicle: 2001 se sedan 3400
illsmokeyou Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to illsmokeyou
the 24x is the crankshaft position sensor, and the 3x is the camshaft position sensor

the rpm signals below 1600 rpm are carried and read from the crankshaft position sensor. Once the rpms increase over 1600, the camshaft sensor takes over. This addition was made to the later models to better control idle, and reduce vibration/engine noise

On the second turn of the key, if the signal from the crankshaft sensor does NOT match that of the camshaft sensor, the DTC is set, and from that point till the problem gets corrected (or in your case until you perform the relearn process), all ranges of the rpms will be controlled by the camshaft position sensor. Meaning, your idle MIGHT be kinda ****ty now, since the idle is no longer being read from the 24x crankshaft sensor, but rather the 3x camshaft sensor, until the relearn is performed, or the DTC is cleared

Last edited by illsmokeyou; 04-15-2004 at 06:05 PM.
illsmokeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
95-GT
Slow 5.0

95-GT Gettin' there
No, there are 2 CKP sensors and 1 CAM sensor. The 2 CKP sensors is the 24x behind the harmonic balancer pulley, and the 3x (7x referance) on the back of the block, on cylinder #3 IIRC.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:18 PM   #10
carpediem1230
Black

ummm your talking about a relearn... if i pulled the pcm fuse (which some have suggested i do), let it sit a while, could it possibly "heal itself"?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:27 PM   #11
Filter

Relearn's are junk. Dealerships do NOT do relearns when they remove pulley's. People just mention them to be safe. If it's the 3X CRANK sensor, the car will not run at all. If the 24X CRANK sensor is gone, the car will run, but will burn more gas.

I know more about cars then I know about myself, but why do people always have to make things complicated. Simple explanations help people and don't confuse them like this person seems now. A little diagnosis. Yes, these cars have 2 crank sensors. Howver, based upon what he described the 3X sensor is ruled out. So let's just tell him what the problem is.

thanks for trying illsmokeyou, but he is way off on this one so please ignore

Last edited by Filter; 04-15-2004 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:18 PM   #12
95-GT
Slow 5.0

95-GT Gettin' there
you talking about me? I was simply stating that I believe the 24x signal also is for the RPM signal. So if that went out due to a sliced wire, he shouldnt have a RPM signal. HOw am I making things complicated by explaing it? You really need to chill out dude.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:44 PM   #13
Filter

Did I mention you? I don't think I did. You were helping to set things strait after illsmokeyou chimed in
Old 04-16-2004, 09:19 AM   #14
95-GT
Slow 5.0

95-GT Gettin' there
Sorry, thought you meant me.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:15 PM   #15
nomojo
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
nomojo Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by illsmokeyou
the 24x is the crankshaft position sensor, and the 3x is the camshaft position sensor

the rpm signals below 1600 rpm are carried and read from the crankshaft position sensor. Once the rpms increase over 1600, the camshaft sensor takes over. This addition was made to the later models to better control idle, and reduce vibration/engine noise

On the second turn of the key, if the signal from the crankshaft sensor does NOT match that of the camshaft sensor, the DTC is set, and from that point till the problem gets corrected (or in your case until you perform the relearn process), all ranges of the rpms will be controlled by the camshaft position sensor. Meaning, your idle MIGHT be kinda ****ty now, since the idle is no longer being read from the 24x crankshaft sensor, but rather the 3x camshaft sensor, until the relearn is performed, or the DTC is cleared
Lil off topic, (sorry) but do you know when the "addition" of the sensor monitor switch at 1600 rpm got added?

Wondering if that explains my 'misfire' problem when holding the car at around 1800 rpm/60mph... maybe it keeps flip flopping between sensors and cant make up its mind.

Thanks
nomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #16
95-GT
Slow 5.0

95-GT Gettin' there
What wires do you have?

Also, above like 50 yourt TCC is locked up, so a misfire will show big time.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:06 PM   #17
nomojo
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
nomojo Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95-GT
What wires do you have?

Also, above like 50 yourt TCC is locked up, so a misfire will show big time.
i just have the stock wires.

you'd think the miss would show big time, but it only shows up when driving the car connected to the tech 2. ..

thanks for the reply: this is a lil off topic (entirely my fault, i just saw the 1600 rpm CKP sensor thing and kinda jumped in), but i have a thread running for this: thread id 32002 ("intermittent miss, no SES, no codes") for further replies...

thanks again

cheers
nomojo is offline   Reply With Quote