GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-16-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
jmonte345
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ion Red Line
jmonte345 has disabled reputation
Power locks won't lock the door...why?

My buddy just got a 2000 Grand Am SE, I has power locks and the switches (both driver and passanger) will only unlock the doors and not lock them. Also the trunk pop button doesn't work. When you press it I hear a click in the driver side fuse box, but the trunk doesn't relese. Any ideas on what's wrong?

Thank You
Old 04-17-2004, 09:52 PM   #2
nomojo
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
nomojo Gettin' there
Hey..

if your friend picked the car up used, it could be a botched alarm or aftermarket remote keyless entry installation.

But, Since you're hearing the click maybe its the actuator that locks/unlocks the door is busted, shorted, or has a bad connection? From the looks of the GM service manual for a 2001 there is a big black tube with a bunch of wires in it that comes from the kick panel to the door and has the wires for the lock actuator & the door jamb switch.

Anyways, if it was a botched alarm install has had any of the wires come loose that tap the BCM or any other wire for that matter, you'll get wierd problems.

As for the power trunk release thing, check inside the trunk on the top of the latch. There should be a Red Kill switch. This is to either disable or enable the function of the button... Maybe this one's an easy fix and its just set to 'disable'.

Just a few thoughts, maybe im out to lunch on this one. Use my thoughts at your own risk

Oh, finally, and maybe best of all, if your buddy just bought the car, go back to the person he or she bought it from and insist that they pay to have it fixed. Thats the easiest way!
nomojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 10:38 PM   #3
e2helper
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2005 G6 GT
e2helper Gettin' there
I agree that the trunk release problem might be what is called the "Valet Switch" in lockout mode so that is the first thing to check before thinking about wiring issue.

Good description on door lock problem as well. Since the doors unlock that tells you that the wiring all the way from door lock relays in the left IP electrical center to the door lock actuators is A-OK. Because both door lock switches have the same problem and work in unlock mode it is also unlikely to be a switch problem. Problem will be either: a)bad aftermarket install as nomojo mentioned, b) bad door lock relay, c) poor wiring connection from BCM to door lock relay or d)bad BCM output

If aftermarket remote keyless system in vehicle then I don't have any suggestion other than checking it.

If not

I mention the door lock relay because on a vehicle with factory remote keyless there are 3 identical relays in the left IP electrical center (located behind panel on end of IP -driver's side). They are Door Lock, Driver Door Unlock and Door Unlock (see label on door for which is which). I would swap the door lock with one of the unlock ones and see if problem is any different. If not then I would next locate the BCM (underneath glovebox) and just unplug and plug connectors in on the off-chance the problem is a marginal wiring connection that gets cleared up by moving connector around (do this with the ignition off or maybe even battery disconnected if you are real cautious).

Post again with results.
e2helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:45 AM   #4
jmonte345
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2004 Ion Red Line
jmonte345 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2helper

I mention the door lock relay because on a vehicle with factory remote keyless there are 3 identical relays in the left IP electrical center (located behind panel on end of IP -driver's side). They are Door Lock, Driver Door Unlock and Door Unlock (see label on door for which is which). I would swap the door lock with one of the unlock ones and see if problem is any different. If not then I would next locate the BCM (underneath glovebox) and just unplug and plug connectors in on the off-chance the problem is a marginal wiring connection that gets cleared up by moving connector around (do this with the ignition off or maybe even battery disconnected if you are real cautious).

Post again with results.
I was messing around with it again yesterday and I decided to check the relays and they were bad, well two of them. We went and got the trunk relay and that works fine. Murrray's didn't have the power lock relay so he has to find that today.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-18-2004, 10:33 AM   #5
e2helper
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2005 G6 GT
e2helper Gettin' there
I see at http://www.gmpartsdirect.com they have them P/N 12077866 but kind of pricey at $20 each with S/H (yikes!!).

I got a few I could send to someone (no charge) if you got an address. Just PM me
e2helper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 10:35 AM   #6
Rba007
GAGT Oldie

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: 04 Grand Prix GT
Rba007 has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to Rba007
My door locks have been acting up lately as well. Randomly, they wont work at all, neither lock or unlock. The relays all "click" when I hit the button, but nothing happens other than that when they arent working. But then just as if someone waved a magic wand over them they will often start working again. Could that be caused by my aftermarket alarm installed by best buy last summer?
"ArcticSun GT: u do smell dave, smell like awesomeness"
Rba007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:05 PM   #7
iceman
woop woop

AKA: Seth
Vehicle: 97 Blazer - 84 Fiero
iceman has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
Mine just died yesterday They worked again once but died again. I gotta see if there (hopefully) are any new DTCs in the BCM , if not just regular old troubleshooting i guess.
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
2KGT
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Chase
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT 4dr
2KGT Gettin' there
THANK YOU!!!! (relay) i have wasted SO much time on this stupid door lock issue. and now it is SOLVED.
2KGT is offline   Reply With Quote