GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Warranty, TSB and Recall Info

Old 05-18-2004, 05:13 AM   #1
wade walter
alphamale

AKA: dub-ya
Vehicle: 99 bich
wade walter Gettin' there
sunroof repair

was just wondering if anyone has had the motor replaced and if so about how much the labor ran you ?
Old 07-29-2004, 07:41 AM   #2
wade walter
alphamale

alright, how bout this, the dealer is telling me i need to replace the whole assembly at 1500 frekin bucks ! anyone else have this done ?
Old 08-22-2004, 08:42 PM   #3
oolowrideoo
GAGT - Member

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: '04 Grand Am SC/T Sed.
oolowrideoo Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to oolowrideoo
haven't had the problem... I'd keep an eye on ebay. I'm pretty sure that the GA's share the same sunroof as the cavaliers, sunfires, maybe Grand Prixs, but not 100% sure.

Best of luck
Old 08-23-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
wade walter
alphamale

still got this one on hold. after i got that news from the dealer i went on-line and found the company that installed it originally ( name of which i forget, but google found it ), then i found one of their dealers here near d.c..haven't gone there yet, but when i talked to the guy at the place he said something about a lifetime warranty on parts, so i'm gonna check them out next week after i get my car back from the body shop and see whats up, then take the bill to the GM dealer and have a few words.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:49 AM   #5
Slim
Captain Canuck

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 08 Acadia, 13 Mazda 6
Slim Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to Slim
Webasto made the moonroofs for the GAs IIRC.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:04 AM   #6
wade walter
alphamale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim25
Webasto made the moonroofs for the GAs IIRC.
that was the name, thanks..so if any'a y'all need to get work done find one of their service dealers, cause as always the gm dealer will **** you..
Old 08-23-2004, 08:22 AM   #7
preed4962
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand AM GT Sedan
preed4962 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to preed4962
Per GM Policy:

2000-2004 Cavalier/Sunfire/Alero/Grand Am Inoperative Sunroof Module Retime module or replace only motor for inoperative complaints. Dont replace entire sunroof module assembly. 03-08-67-009A

Sunroof Will Not Open or close Completely (Replace Sunroof Motor) #03-08-67-009A - (Mar 8, 2004)
Sunroof Will Not Open or Close Completely (Replace Sunroof Motor)
1998-2004 Chevrolet Cavalier

1999-2003 Oldsmobile Alero

1998-2003 Pontiac Grand Am

1998-2004 Pontiac Sunfire

This bulletin is being revised to change the part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-08-67-009 (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories)

Condition
Some customers may comment that the sunroof will not open or will not close completely.

Cause
This condition may be due to the sunroof motor. Follow the procedure below for diagnostics.

Sunroof Motor Diagnosis
Remove the headliner as necessary. Refer to Headliner Replacement in Interior Trim (SI Document ID #856974).

Jumper Pin #1 and Pin #8 on the sunroof express module. If more access is needed, push the module towards the motor and unlock it from the bracket. Refer to the Illustration above.

Notice
Avoid operating the sunroof glass to the full open position. Since the limit switch has a jumper across it, there will be no indication to the sunroof module to stop the glass at the full open soft stop. The glass can slide past the full open position, possibly damaging the sunroof assembly and/or the roof.

With the ignition ON, push the sunroof switch to the close position to fully seat the sunroof. If this action fully closes the sunroof, replace the sunroof motor only. Refer to the Sunroof Motor Replacement below. If this action does not fully close the sunroof, go to Diagnostic Starting Point-Roof (SI Document ID #823850).
Remove the jumper and re-lock the sunroof express module back into its bracket.
Sunroof Motor Replacement
Service Procedure

Notice
This sunroof system is timed from the factory so that the sunroof actuator automatically shuts off when the window panel reaches a certain position. Be careful not to disrupt this factory timing when removing the sunroof actuator from the sunroof module. Disrupting the factory timing may cause damage to the sunroof system. Close the window panel whenever you remove the sunroof actuator from the sunroof module assembly.

Clip the tie straps and remove the express module by sliding it towards the motor to unlock it from the slots provided in the module.
Disconnect the wire harness from the express module, power supply, and switch.
Remove the sunroof motor/actuator bolts (2) from the sunroof motor/actuator.
Remove the sunroof motor/actuator from the sunroof module.
Remove the sunroof glass.

Make sure the sunroof lift arms are aligned by inserting a pin in the front sunroof glass attachment hole to the lift arm cam. If you can insert a large paper clip through the two, it is aligned. Refer to the illustration above.

If the arms are not aligned, push the arms with a screwdriver at the location shown. Refer to the illustration above.

Important
Before you install a new sunroof motor/actuator or re-install the old actuator to the sunroof module, ensure that the actuator is timed to the closed position.

Verify that the original sunroof motor/actuator or the new sunroof motor/actuator is timed to the closed position by performing the following steps:

The hole in the large timing gear (3), the notch in the disk (2) below the drive gear and the scribe mark (1) on the drive gear should all be in line with each other. Refer to the illustration above.
If the actuator is not timed to the closed position, connect the switch, headliner harness and express module to the sunroof motor/actuator and run the actuator to the closed position. Verify that all timing marks are aligned.
Position the sunroof motor/actuator to the sunroof module.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fasteners. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the sunroof motor/actuator. Tighten
Tighten the sunroof motor/actuator to 3 Nm (27 lb in).

Connect the wire harness connectors to the express module. Slide the express module into the slots and lock it. Reconnect the power supply and the switch to the express module. Secure the wire harness to the drive tube and return tube with tie wraps.
Install the headliner as necessary. Refer to Headliner Replacement in Interior Trim (SI Document ID #856974).
Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Motor

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

N3360
Motor, Sunroof Drive-Replace
0.8 hr

Add
Diagnosis Time
0.3 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Last edited by preed4962; 08-23-2004 at 08:27 AM.
preed4962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 02:56 AM   #8
wade walter
alphamale

preed4962-your my hero of the week. thanks a mill..
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #9
GALover
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Alaska Jason
Vehicle: '04 Silver SE2 4Dr
GALover Gettin' there
MODS - you should clean this up and throw it in the How-To section.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Plug
User in Miserable Mode

AKA: Stelios
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT1
Plug hey everyone, I'm a newb!
Where are the illustrations as described in the service bulletin post above??
Plug is offline   Reply With Quote