GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension

Old 12-03-2004, 07:13 AM   #1
mr03SCT
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grandam SCT
mr03SCT Gettin' there
my initial review of the goodyear assurance tripletred tires

Well so far pretty impressive. Things i have noticed that are different:

1) No more low speed grunting sound
2) Today was very windy and the car barely swayed when I drove on the highway even when going by trucks...unlike my RSA's which would wake me up with the slightest gust of wind.
3) There was light snow last night and roads were a little wet (i am in mississauga, Ontario). Traction was great.
4) Braking very much improved
5) Road noise a little better but not by much (I noticed improvement when going over rough patch with grooves of the highway 401 going under construction).

Waiting for some major snow to see how this babys work. So far looking good after my first 85kms with these tires. I will be keeping an eye on the gas mileage of the car to see if it is worse or better.
mr03SCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 07:41 AM   #2
elim
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Jason
Vehicle: 05 GTO
elim Gettin' there
Tire Database... New and Improved!
elim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
mr03SCT
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grandam SCT
mr03SCT Gettin' there
after my first 1000kms all i have to say is incredible....especially after the first snowfall/freezing rain we had here on monday in mississauga.
mr03SCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:35 PM   #4
Joe31956
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: '05 Grand AM GT1 Coupe
Joe31956 Gettin' there
re:my initial review of the goodyear assurance tripletred tires

Hi, I was thinking of getting Assurance Tripletread tires for my 2003 GAGT coupe. I bought the car used in Apr and the dealer had General Exclaim tires on it. I dont know if these tires are supposed to be good or not, but the Exclaim tires are kind of rough on potholes etc.

In regard to Assurance Triple Tred, 2 Goodyear tire dealers said that they were not available in 225 50R 16. A little garage 5 min away from my house said that they would be able to get them for $146.95 a piece which I thought was a bit pricey. But I would get them if I would get a smoother ride without sacrificing performance. I would hope also they would be great in rain and snow (I live in northeast PA). I dont understand why the Goodyear dealers would say that tire is not available. Goodyear tires web site said they were a code 91H tire. Does that mean they are H-rated tires? Sorry, I'm not a technical kind of guy, some of this stuff I dont know what it means.

But you did like the Assurance tires? How much did you pay for them? Id hate to be out over $600 and end up getting a tire I cant stand.

Thanks for your help!

Joe
Joe31956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:22 PM   #5
Mike Jung
400 hp & 410 lb-ft

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: '14 Camaro SS RS coupe
Mike Jung a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe31956
Hi, I was thinking of getting Assurance Tripletread tires for my 2003 GAGT coupe. I bought the car used in Apr and the dealer had General Exclaim tires on it. I dont know if these tires are supposed to be good or not, but the Exclaim tires are kind of rough on potholes etc.

In regard to Assurance Triple Tred, 2 Goodyear tire dealers said that they were not available in 225 50R 16. A little garage 5 min away from my house said that they would be able to get them for $146.95 a piece which I thought was a bit pricey. But I would get them if I would get a smoother ride without sacrificing performance. I would hope also they would be great in rain and snow (I live in northeast PA). I dont understand why the Goodyear dealers would say that tire is not available. Goodyear tires web site said they were a code 91H tire. Does that mean they are H-rated tires? Sorry, I'm not a technical kind of guy, some of this stuff I dont know what it means.

But you did like the Assurance tires? How much did you pay for them? Id hate to be out over $600 and end up getting a tire I cant stand...
225/50/16" tires ARE going to be rough over potholes.
It is a low profile tire; you have a 4.4" sidewall.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires at Tire Rack.com is priced at per tire $106US +shipping (& installation once you get them).
I have seen them advertised in the Greater Toronto Area for per tire installed $136Cdn/$113US (after rebate).

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires are NOT a performance tire.
In the GoodYear line, their Eagle-series are for performance.
Example:
Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 summer max performance tires

Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-2 / GW-2 'winter' performance tires

The Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tire will be good in the rain; but will not be good in deep snow.
It cannot be good in the snow because it is a directional tire with no big deep tread lug wedges.
For good deep snow traction, a tire needs to have big deep lug wedges to bit into the snow.

Maybe try: BFGoodrich's Traction T/A V-speed rated tires or Continental ContiExtremeContact tires

91H = Load (weight) Index rating of 91 & H-speed rated
See: Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions

Note: If your main concern is traction in the winter, any 'winter' rated tire will be better than any 'all-season' tire.

Last edited by Mike Jung; 12-18-2004 at 10:50 PM.
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote