GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 02-21-2005, 07:38 PM   #1
2K1GrandAm
A thing of beauty...

AKA: Ben
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT coupe
2K1GrandAm Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 2K1GrandAm
air intake temperature sensor

Well I got my new air intake kit today, so I put it on, start her up, and almost immediately i get an SES light....went to autozone to get the code read and it says it was the air temperature intake sensor. I was kind of relieved because that has happened to me before, and it was a quick and easy fix. Well I got another sensor, and it didnt fix it. Could i have possible screwed something up with my air intake to cause it to keep throwing this code? Also, do SES codes go away when you fix the problem, or does the code have to be cleared? Another really bizarre thing....i mentioned that this has happened to me before. The only symptom I have is that my transmission is shifting really hard...i get a loud "clunk" everytime my car shifts....I have no idea what this had to do with the air intake, but im getting the same symptom now, so that has to be what it is. I am wondering if i should try to put my stock system back together to see if the light goes away, but that would be a major pain in the arse which i would like to avoid if at all possible. Thanks for any and all help.
and it's movin' mighty fast
2K1GrandAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
MetaGTP1

Are the rpm's rising high before this hard shift? The hard clunk in shifting may signal tranny problems.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
2K1GrandAm
A thing of beauty...

2K1GrandAm Gettin' there
nope, as a matter of fact, it shifts better in the high RPMs...at low RPMs, like driving through a parking lot, it shifts really hard, and especially when shifiting from reverse to drive....this is exactly what my car was doing last time i got a AIT sensor code....how that affects my tranny, i have no idea...
Old 02-21-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
MetaGTP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K1GrandAm
nope, as a matter of fact, it shifts better in the high RPMs...at low RPMs, like driving through a parking lot, it shifts really hard, and especially when shifiting from reverse to drive....this is exactly what my car was doing last time i got a AIT sensor code....how that affects my tranny, i have no idea...
A bad TPS or broken TPS wires can also affect shifting. The AIT code you received, was not related to the hard shift problem.

Last edited by MetaGTP1; 02-21-2005 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:13 AM   #5
eaglesrealm
GAGT - Member

AKA: First
Vehicle: 2001 Grand AM GT
eaglesrealm Gettin' there
Quote:
A bad TPS or broken TPS wires can also affect shifting. The AIT code you received, was not related to the hard shift problem.
Actually, you are wrong. I had an AIT code last year that caused exactly the same symptoms of hard shifting at lower speeds (and especially hard into reverse). Problem was fixed by GM and there is a TSB out now for wire issues. Usually a broken wire up near the sensor. The break in the wire ends up telling the PCM that the air temp is like -38 degrees C due and adjusts the transmission pressures accordingly for temperatures that cold. Since it is not that cold, the pressures are wrong and you end up with extremely hard shifting.
eaglesrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
NorKoastal
WhiteOutGT

AKA: Brad
Vehicle: 2000 GA GT Coupe
NorKoastal Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to NorKoastal
I would recommend getting the IAT extension wire or splicing the sensor wires to move the sensor closer to the Filter. The temp reading is more accurate since its not heated up by the block.....

... After doing this My car seems to shift better when flooring it. The RPM's seem to stick a little longer/harder pulling before shifting into 2nd/3rd.

Last edited by NorKoastal; 02-22-2005 at 11:07 AM.
NorKoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
MetaGTP1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrealm
Actually, you are wrong. I had an AIT code last year that caused exactly the same symptoms of hard shifting at lower speeds (and especially hard into reverse). Problem was fixed by GM and there is a TSB out now for wire issues. Usually a broken wire up near the sensor. The break in the wire ends up telling the PCM that the air temp is like -38 degrees C due and adjusts the transmission pressures accordingly for temperatures that cold. Since it is not that cold, the pressures are wrong and you end up with extremely hard shifting.
I'm sOOO sorry. I stand corrected.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
2K1GrandAm
A thing of beauty...

2K1GrandAm Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrealm
awesome, thanks for the info
Old 03-03-2005, 06:09 PM   #9
Ridenour
Old Norse Thunder

AKA: Lee
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT 1
Ridenour Gettin' there
Hey I'm having similar trouble all of a sudden. I've been having code P1404 (EGR / AIT sensor problems). I have really bouncy rpm when I'm just rollin / at idle, and my tranny started shifting hard as hell. So you think it might be the TPS?
WAI Short ram / Cold air box, MSD 8 mm wires / NGK Iridum XIII's, 100 pd weight reduction, removed MAF screen, SC/T hood w/ intake-feed vent, removed exhaust resonator, DynoMax Superturbo, badge overlays, decals, stubby ant; blue break calipers, silvania silverstars / removed headlight restrictors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon
so if I got an nbody for an alero it would fit perfectly to a ga?
2.382 @ 554.83 MPH - didn't even get it out of 1st gear
Ridenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:40 PM   #10
atc3434
Grand Am Again

AKA: Andrew
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE
atc3434 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to atc3434
The bouncy idle could defintely be EGR related. If it stuck open, you'd get a vaccum leak and the screwy idle. I just delt w/ this on my car after the header install, the EGR was on backward and caused a bouncy idle and a P1404. I fixed it and it was much better, and then found my other vaccum leak and everything was gravy. De-screening the MAF is usually a bad idea and can cause some issues, but that wouldn't happen all of a sudden as you've described. Get on a scan tool and find out whats going on. TPS usually cause a high idle, not a bounce. My $.02

1999 Grand Am SE2 - Blue, TOG Headers, SLP Exhaust, DHP - SOLD
1996 Vert' Z-28 - M6, magnaflow muffler-back, K&N FIPK, Hurst Short-throw - 13.6 @ 103mph.

2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona - Go Mango Orange #2832 of 4000. Tune/exhaust. 14.009@97mph.
2002 Saab 9 5 Aero Wagon - 3" turboback/tune. 17psi of sleeper fun just waiting to surprise you.
atc3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #11
Ridenour
Old Norse Thunder

AKA: Lee
Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT 1
Ridenour Gettin' there
Thanks Andrew. Oh by the way, my tranny stopped shifting so hard ( it was cause I forgot to plug in the damn MAF after I was done working on it ) but I've still kind of got the other stuff. I cleaned the hell out of the IAC, EGR, TB, and UIM, and that did seem to hell some though. How is it possible to put your EGR on backwards? LoL I didn't even know it could be done.
WAI Short ram / Cold air box, MSD 8 mm wires / NGK Iridum XIII's, 100 pd weight reduction, removed MAF screen, SC/T hood w/ intake-feed vent, removed exhaust resonator, DynoMax Superturbo, badge overlays, decals, stubby ant; blue break calipers, silvania silverstars / removed headlight restrictors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landon
so if I got an nbody for an alero it would fit perfectly to a ga?
2.382 @ 554.83 MPH - didn't even get it out of 1st gear
Ridenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #12
n43210
Need 4 Speed

Vehicle: 2000 White Grand Am GT
n43210 Gettin' there
are there part numbers for the 2 parts. the two that connect to the intake. i hope someone knows what im talking about.
Slp exhaust, wai intake, 7 inch motorized clarion dvd player, rear 7 inch flip down monitor, painted red calipers, blue interior leds, debagded, customcargrills, H&R Lowering Springs, cross-drilled/slotted rotors, performance friction pads.

soon: 20% all around

mike
n43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:45 AM   #13
atc3434
Grand Am Again

AKA: Andrew
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE
atc3434 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to atc3434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenour
Thanks Andrew. Oh by the way, my tranny stopped shifting so hard ( it was cause I forgot to plug in the damn MAF after I was done working on it ) but I've still kind of got the other stuff. I cleaned the hell out of the IAC, EGR, TB, and UIM, and that did seem to hell some though. How is it possible to put your EGR on backwards? LoL I didn't even know it could be done.
You could end up with the EGR motor flipped around on a 99 because the flange that it bolts to is almost symmentical, pertty hard to tell which way it goes, its obvious if you turn your brain on (Mine was off after 14 hours of dealing w/ those damn headers) and look at which port has the valve. Once they changed the EGR setup it would be imposible to get it flipped, Pucci's car was totally different than mine.

Quote:
my tranny stopped shifting so hard ( it was cause I forgot to plug in the damn MAF after I was done working on it
That'll do it. Did you check for a vaccumn leak, that'll cause the bouncy idle too. EGR, rear PCV, cruise control, fuel pressure regulator, there's a quite a few spots to check.

1999 Grand Am SE2 - Blue, TOG Headers, SLP Exhaust, DHP - SOLD
1996 Vert' Z-28 - M6, magnaflow muffler-back, K&N FIPK, Hurst Short-throw - 13.6 @ 103mph.

2006 Dodge Charger R/T Daytona - Go Mango Orange #2832 of 4000. Tune/exhaust. 14.009@97mph.
2002 Saab 9 5 Aero Wagon - 3" turboback/tune. 17psi of sleeper fun just waiting to surprise you.
atc3434 is offline   Reply With Quote