GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Wheels, Tires, Brakes, & Suspension

Old 04-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
1995_ga_gt
Timmay

AKA: Timmy
Vehicle: 1995 Grand Am GT Coupe
1995_ga_gt Gettin' there
ABS and Brake Light are on....

I was driving slowly through the park with the windows down when I hear a snap. Sounded very close to tree branch. So I look in the rearview mirror and see nothing. Next time I go to drive my car the brake light and ABS light is on. So I go ahead and give a good push on the brakes and sure enough they lock up. So obsviously I no longer have ABS. I talked to a mechanic for like a minute. He said you'll definately want to get that fixed. I didn't get around to the price range or anything like that. Has this happened to any of you and you had to get it fixed? Personally, I think I'm a good driver and could handle driving without the ABS during the winter. Anyone have an idea of how much this would be to fix or even worth fixing?
1995_ga_gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:37 PM   #2
Azrael
Never doubt an SE

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: Black 95 Grand Am SE
Azrael Gettin' there
My ABS light comes on randomly but usually goes away after turning the car off and starting it back up again. Since your brake light is also on I'd suspect it's a problem with the main brake system. ABS will deactivate upon any detected brake problems and trigger the ABS light as well. Get your car scanned at your local autozone (scans are free) and see what trouble codes show up. If it's an ABS specific problem then I think only a dealership is equipped to troubleshoot it. And ABS fixes are never cheap.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
1995_ga_gt
Timmay

1995_ga_gt Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
My ABS light comes on randomly but usually goes away after turning the car off and starting it back up again. Since your brake light is also on I'd suspect it's a problem with the main brake system. ABS will deactivate upon any detected brake problems and trigger the ABS light as well. Get your car scanned at your local autozone (scans are free) and see what trouble codes show up. If it's an ABS specific problem then I think only a dealership is equipped to troubleshoot it. And ABS fixes are never cheap.
Hey thx for the quick response. So pretty much when you go to Autozone they scan the cars computer or what? My parents had their ABS fixed and it wasn't cheap either, but I've never seen this problem. Nice grand am by the way.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:58 AM   #4
Matt95GT
East Coast OG

Vehicle: 95 Grand Am GT Coupe
Matt95GT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Matt95GT Send a message via Yahoo to Matt95GT
Forget the ABS light for a minute. If the brake light comes on too, you have more serious issues. If either side or both sides of the brake fluid reservoir are low, the light will come on. That being combined with a snap... I would check it right away. The ABS module cannot function properly if the brakes are not working correctly.

Check the condition of your front brake hoses in each wheelwell. I've had to replace rotted lines in both of my vehicles... one was leaking too.
Matt95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
1995_ga_gt
Timmay

1995_ga_gt Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt95GT
Forget the ABS light for a minute. If the brake light comes on too, you have more serious issues. If either side or both sides of the brake fluid reservoir are low, the light will come on. That being combined with a snap... I would check it right away. The ABS module cannot function properly if the brakes are not working correctly.

Check the condition of your front brake hoses in each wheelwell. I've had to replace rotted lines in both of my vehicles... one was leaking too.
First off thx for the responses so far. Yes the brake and ABS lights are on. But the thing is; the brakes seem to work fine. However, they can lock up now though cuz the ABS isn't working.

I just went out and checked the brake fluid. It was full. Then i checked the brakes lines on the front. I'm pretty sure it was the brake line. The line was directly behind the strut. Absolutely no leakage, and there is not a spot on the driveway. So do I still got a seroius problem?
Old 04-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #6
Matt95GT
East Coast OG

Vehicle: 95 Grand Am GT Coupe
Matt95GT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Matt95GT Send a message via Yahoo to Matt95GT
Don't just check for leaks... you'll need to inspect the hoses carefully for mushy spots. You'll need to take off the wheels to do so.

If not, I would have the master brake cylinder professionally inspected.
Matt95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:40 AM   #7
1995_ga_gt
Timmay

1995_ga_gt Gettin' there
So pretty much I'm gonna have to take it in, because I really don't know what I'm doing. My dad might know about the master brake cylinder though, but thanks for the advice and help.
Old 09-13-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
00blackGT
GAGT - Member

AKA: Christopher
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
00blackGT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 00blackGT
Did a search because I Am i having the same problmes. I had to do some HARD braking today because some girl at my school pulled out in front of me. I was not slowing down enough so i had to pull the e-brake..Finaly i did get stop without hitting her..But when i came back to my car to leave school my ABS light and BRAKE light were on and still on..My crusie also does not work. That because the brake light is on?Let me know guys THANKS!!!!
Chris

Last edited by 00blackGT; 09-13-2005 at 04:13 PM.
00blackGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:02 AM   #9
MantaGreen97
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 1997 Grand Am
MantaGreen97 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995_ga_gt
First off thx for the responses so far. Yes the brake and ABS lights are on. But the thing is; the brakes seem to work fine. However, they can lock up now though cuz the ABS isn't working.

So do I still got a seroius problem?
Yes I'd say you do. If the brake light is on along with the ABS, there is something that is compromising your regular braking system as well as the ABS.

There are a few reasons as to where an ABS failure would also cause a partial "regular" brake system failure. Since you say your brakes "seem to work fine" I can think of one reason (though it may not be the problem). In the 95 the ABS system's motorpack does not have a solenoid for the rear brake channel (the ABS VI system used in the 95 is "3-channel"--there is only one channel for the entire rear axle).

Since there is no solenoid for the rear channel, should the motor fail in an upwards position for the rear brakes, then the brake fluid path to the rear brakes will be blocked. (On the two front channels, a solenoid prevents this in case of motor failure.) So in this case you might seem to have properly working brakes, but really the rear brakes might be getting little or no line pressure.
Edit: Oops that should have said "fail in a lowered position", above. The upmost position, is the "home" or ABS inactive position, sorry.

Since the rear brakes don't do much of the braking, you might not notice in most conditions (the rear are drums number one, and number two that is the way the brake balance is designed--so the fronts do 70% or so of the braking).

However this could lead to significantly increased stopping distances in emergency stop situations, as well as premature front brake wear due to the extra work the brakes have to do. Furthermore the additional heat could lead to early brake fade leaving you with no brakes after only what you consider a moderate stop.

The problem may be different however, you will need the car to be diagnosed properly by a mechanic, with a scan-tool as there will certainly be error codes output from the EBCM (Electronic Brake Control Module). The reason I mentioned the above problem, however, is to point out that desptite the fact that you think the regular brakes are okay, the fact that the EBCM has commanded the brake light on in addition to the ABS light says otherwise.

Last edited by MantaGreen97; 09-14-2005 at 04:25 PM.
MantaGreen97 is offline   Reply With Quote