GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS sedan
mfuller a trusted member
Aargh!!! Stupid %#*@ fuel rail!!!

Okay....this thing is really ticking me off.

I'm trying to unbolt the fuel rail (with the injectors) from the supply and return lines and I'm getting nowhere fast. I was able to unscrew the supply line to the fuel rail, but the sucker seems like it's welded in there. I know there's an o-ring in there to seal it, but jeezus....

Likewise, I can't budge the large nut on the return line that attaches to the bottom of the FPR. I got the small torx screw out of the brachet that secures the FPR to the rail, but I still can't get the FPR off the fuel rail - it should just wiggle up and off, right?

Any suggestions from those who have done this would be greatly appreciated. I've looked at the how-to's already BTW, and my Helm's manual doesn't give away any secrets, either.
Currently without an engine, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, a few suspension and brake bits, and a partridge in a pear tree.
mfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #2
iceman
woop woop

AKA: Seth
Vehicle: 97 Blazer - 84 Fiero
iceman has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
Ok... If the fitting is loosened.., you have to pull.. hard. Mine was super stubborn too, I thought I was gonna break it, I just pulled the crap out of it and it came out. Did you already pull it up so the injectors are out of the lim?? makes it easier to wiggle it off when you grab the whole rail ..

Ditto for the FPR, wiggle and it comes right off once that torx is out.

If it's a total loss you can get the tool to take the flexible fuel line off the hard line.. but you shouldn't need to do that.
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:40 PM   #3
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

mfuller a trusted member
I've already pulled the rail/injectors assembly from the LIM.....I'm almost thinking it'd be easier to re-bolt the rail assemly to the LIM to get that blasted supply line off...

The FPR is being a real pain in the arse too...I can wiggle it the smallest amount, but it doesn't want to come off the rail....

Sigh...I'll try again tomorrow. Already have the power steering pump off, so I'm actually ahead of wher I wanted to be for today.
Currently without an engine, Quaife LSD-equipped F40, a few suspension and brake bits, and a partridge in a pear tree.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:51 PM   #4
iceman
woop woop

What are you doing, an LIM gasket change??

Sometimes its good to step away from something and come at it with a fresh start... amazing how that works

Make sure you replace the o-rings, they have a tendency to disappear. gl, call me if you need anything.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:09 PM   #5
mfuller
Mr. Common Sense

mfuller a trusted member
Yup, LIM gasket change...along with a few other things. Ported heads plus basic maintenace stuff - new O2 sensor, new plugs, wires, cleaned and flow-balanced fuel injectors, a fancy AFPR (it just looks so much nicer than the stocker), new fuel filter.

Oh, and I have to send my corroded headers off to be blasted and re-coated (mercifully, under warranty).
Old 04-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
iceman
woop woop

Sounds like fun.. The LIM bolts that are on a funny angle and kind of hidden, an offset ratcheting wrench works wonders..

My headers are off too, all kinds of rusty . Cat was clogged as all hell too.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:14 AM   #7
Malaclypse
Wrenched Loose

AKA: Scott
Vehicle: 2013 Malibu 2LT
Malaclypse a trusted member
Whenever I do LIM gaskets on a 3x00 that lacks the quick disconnects, I find tying the fuel rail to something like the master cylinder with a rag works well. Forget taking all that apart. Takes too much time.
Malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 08:41 AM   #8
eric99gt
just go for it

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Sedan
eric99gt Gettin' there
also be sure you disconnected the clamp that holds the two lines together farther down along the lines. I couldn't get mine off at first. Once I unbolted the clamp from the heads it slid right out.
eric99gt is offline   Reply With Quote