GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Requests and Feedback

Old 10-01-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
LukeD
Hear it scream!

AKA: Luke
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT Sedan
LukeD Gettin' there
Search problem...

Seems like it just started. I'll type 2 words into search and it wont bring up only threads that contain both words. Instead it will bring up threads that contain 1 or 2 of the words searched. Say I type red manifold into search. It will display all threads that contain either red or manifold or both. Annoying when I'm trying to narrow my searches down. Is it just me or is this happening to others too?

Last edited by LukeD; 10-01-2005 at 03:54 PM.
LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:48 PM   #2
Braves299
WVU owns you

AKA: David
Vehicle: '99 GA SE 3.4, '06 Ram
Braves299 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Braves299
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD
Seems ike it just started. I'll type 2 words into search and it wont bring up only threads that contain both words. Instead it will bring up threads that contain 1 or 2 of the words searched. Say I type red manifold into search. It will display all threads that contain either red or manifold or both. Annoying when I'm trying to narrow my searches down. Is it just me or is this happening to others too?
When you want to search for something specific like that, put "red manifold" in quotations. That way it searches for that exact phrase. Same goes for yahoo, google, etc...
Braves299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 03:53 PM   #3
LukeD
Hear it scream!

LukeD Gettin' there
right I do that if I want exact phrases, but I mean if I want a thread that just has those 2 words in them, not necessarily together. If I type red manifold I shouldn't come up with threads that just contain the word red.
Old 10-01-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
pyro
mAUDIrator

AKA: Jeremy
Vehicle: '05 A4 1.8T
pyro Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to pyro
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD
right I do that if I want exact phrases, but I mean if I want a thread that just has those 2 words in them, not necessarily together. If I type red manifold I shouldn't come up with threads that just contain the word red.
you just contradicted yourself.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:05 PM   #5
Ajaxus
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: AJ
Vehicle: '01 Subaru Outback LTD
Ajaxus Gettin' there
red+manifold is what you want then, the plus means you want the first AND second item.
Ajaxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #6
LukeD
Hear it scream!

LukeD Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxus
red+manifold is what you want then, the plus means you want the first AND second item.
oh ok. yeah ajaxus knows what I ment. (However convoluted I was when conveying it). Don't know if I always had to do it like that and I just never noticed it or what. Oh well. Thanks guys. Mods can delete this thread if they want.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
NorKoastal
WhiteOutGT

AKA: Brad
Vehicle: 2000 GA GT Coupe
NorKoastal Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to NorKoastal
Also can you turn off the search timer for Premium members.. I hate having to wait 30 seconds when Im searching for stuff..

Thnks,.
NorKoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 AM   #8
Jeremy
Unpimped my Mazda

AKA: Jeremy
Vehicle: 07 Tahoe LTZ ,12 Jetta
Jeremy a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorKoastal
Also can you turn off the search timer for Premium members.. I hate having to wait 30 seconds when Im searching for stuff..

Thnks,.

Unfortunately that setting is a global setting for the script, it is a setting that cannot be changed based on usergroups. The main purpose of it is to minimize server load during a SQL db search.

12 VW Jetta

07 Tahoe LTZ 4x4

Over the firewall, out the antenna, into the router, shot to the modem, out the transponder, bounce into space, off the satellite, over their firewall, into the forums .... nothing but NET
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #9
99GAGTX
resident lunatic

AKA: Lou
Vehicle: 99 Grand Am GT - sold
99GAGTX Gettin' there
Okay I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to search for the exact phrase "displacement on demand". Each time I tried, it deleted the words "displacement" and "on", saying that they are too common. Therefore it searched for the word "demand" only. Even when I put "displacement on demand" in quotes (like I did just now) it does the same thing and gives me 30 pages of threads containing the word "demand".

I don't want to start a new thread if one is already going about the topic, but searching through 30 pages of threads containing the word "demand" is ridiculous.

Is there a different way to do a search for the exact phrase, without the search tool automatically eliminating the first two words on me?

Thanks in advance.
99GAGTX is offline   Reply With Quote