GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security

Old 12-15-2005, 02:19 AM   #1
Grand_Damn
car payment again :(

AKA: Jonathan
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Fusion S
Grand_Damn Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Grand_Damn Send a message via Yahoo to Grand_Damn
Your Opinion on Car Alarm/Remote Start

after my girlfriend's car getting stolen right in front of the apartment (they found the car around 50 miles away in a ditch 2 days later) and my car currently doesnt have a alarm on it. i need to so get one

what's a good priced alarm, i might want to try a 2-way pager type.

i plan to buy 2 alarms, one for my car and one for hers cause i dont want her car getting stolen again and expecially mines (seeing that i'm in Iraq....it'll be a pain in the butt to do all the paperwork and not being able to call 800 numbers)

i searched Best Buy and Circuit City...i know they have some but their website sucks...and the one at car toys is like $400 plus....

...so yeah.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 AM   #2
iceman
woop woop

AKA: Seth
Vehicle: 97 Blazer - 84 Fiero
iceman has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
You need to read the sticky by oldinstaller above.. IMO, spend the money on the installer not the alarm, a good alarm isn't worth **** if it's not installed right. Other than that, this question has been asked way too many times.. search and read.
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #3
Grand_Damn
car payment again :(

AKA: Jonathan
Vehicle: 2006 Ford Fusion S
Grand_Damn Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Grand_Damn Send a message via Yahoo to Grand_Damn
i read that but the only one that was brought up was the Viper..which i dont think any of those sites have...and sadly, that's the only one i know that is good.

i know i should of searched, but this work computer aint that great (search function dont work too great)

i was looking more for which brand is good and which is crap and if Best Buy/Circuit City/etc is a good place to look

Last edited by Grand_Damn; 12-15-2005 at 02:35 AM.
Grand_Damn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #4
Mendoza
RK-GT

AKA: Javin
Vehicle: 2001
Mendoza Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Mendoza
www.compustar.org
go for the 2w900fm-as
Old 12-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #5
01PontiacGT
GAGT - Member

AKA: Adam
Vehicle: 01 GAGT/00 Camaro SS
01PontiacGT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to 01PontiacGT
i have the Autopage 855LCD 2way, absoutly amazing
01PontiacGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 09:12 AM   #6
Mendoza
RK-GT

Mendoza Gettin' there
Ya the autopage is a bad ass starter and alarm also
Old 02-27-2006, 11:07 AM   #7
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Bringing this back from the dead.

I'm looking at getting an alarm for my car. It's probably needed one for a long time and never got around to it. I don't want anything with remote start since I don't drive the car in winter and it's just more wires to hook up. I'm looking for the easiest possible install with the least amount of wires, since I already have a million running thru the car, and for that reason I'll be installing myself 'cause I don't want a shop screwing something else up.

Basically all I want is an alarm with ignition cut and two-way paging. Two choices I'm looking at are the compustar 2W900FM-A and the autopage RF-520LCD. I'm leaning towards the autopage because it's cheaper, $129 retail and $90 on ebay compared to $250 retail and $156 on ebay for the compustar, and there seems to be a lot more available. Also the autopage has a single tone siren and I hate those goofy 6 tones.

Biggest difference I see is the autopage is AM transmitter and I can't seem to find the range on it anywhere? The compustar is FM transmitter and has 3000yd range. Anyone know if there is really any significance between AM/FM or which is better? Also they both seem to do a lot of function my stock keyless entry already does (horn beep/flash park lights when locking, trunk popper, etc). Am I going to have to rewire all that stuff for it to work with the new remote?
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 08:52 PM   #8
Mendoza
RK-GT

Mendoza Gettin' there
Quote:
Biggest difference I see is the autopage is AM transmitter and I can't seem to find the range on it anywhere? The compustar is FM transmitter and has 3000yd range. Anyone know if there is really any significance between AM/FM or which is better? Also they both seem to do a lot of function my stock keyless entry already does (horn beep/flash park lights when locking, trunk popper, etc). Am I going to have to rewire all that stuff for it to work with the new remote?
The Autopage has 1500 feet in range. The difference between AM/FM is that FM frequency has been proven to travel farther then AM Frequency. I can tell you from personal experience that the 2w900fm-A has longer range then the Autopage. I believe the compustar also is the only one that comes with a Remote paging system. This means if you are needed at your car somebody can knock on the sensor located on the window and it will page you from your vehicle. You may think this is not useful but a cop about to tow my car after a late night at the bars paged me. He let me move my car and I got off with no tow and no ticket.

You’re defiantly going to have to wire this alarm up. It's really not as hard as it may seem. I would recommend the wiring diagram of your vehicle and a test probe. Once you make the decision let me know and I can email you the wiring diagram and locations of the wires.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:42 PM   #9
killians31
Weekend Warrior

AKA: Ben
Vehicle: 02.5 Grand Am GT Coupe
killians31 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to killians31
mendoza, this might be a noob question, but on a scale from 1-10 how hard would you consider wireing in a alarm system. i have heard soo many horror stories about people ****ing up on the install of car alarms.
killians31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #10
iceman
woop woop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza

You’re defiantly going to have to wire this alarm up. It's really not as hard as it may seem. I would recommend the wiring diagram of your vehicle and a test probe. .
Uhhh .. test probe??? no!!! what are you installing alarms in the 80s??? DMM all the way... use a test probe if you want things to fry

As far as difficulty, if you are comfortable with taking apart stuff and doing some hard core wiring work, than it is just time consuming (in my mind) instead of difficult. Test twice, measure twice, cut once. I do not recommend at all someone wiring an alarm unless they have done other complicated wiring jobs.

Here's a pic I took during alarm install to dissuade other people from doing theirs.. This was just test fitting the wire lengths before cutting, taping, and securing everything. If you can't get your car back together from something that looks like this, don't install an alarm

I have full wiring diagrams to hit everything you need at the BCM.. makes life MUCH easier.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #11
magyver
Blue Light Special

Vehicle: 00 ga gt coupe black
magyver Gettin' there
^ that maybe a little extreme, but it depends on the brand of alarm i guess.. as i helped w/ mine (had the guys do it while i was hangin some plasma's) and when i got back, my manager just got to takin panels off, so i since i was done, i helped.. we only had the radio, drivers kick panel, and both lower door sills.. didnt need to go into glovebox area.. all i got is 2 shock and 2 prox sensors, keyless w/ remote. hardest part was tapping into ignition wires and hiding stuff.. luckly w/out my radio up top, all my relays and module's site up behind my screen.. other than that, it gets pretty tight under the drivers lower dash...
Old 02-27-2006, 10:12 PM   #12
killians31
Weekend Warrior

AKA: Ben
Vehicle: 02.5 Grand Am GT Coupe
killians31 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to killians31
considering that i dont have a garage, i probably wouldnt attepmt this .
killians31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 10:13 PM   #13
Mendoza
RK-GT

Mendoza Gettin' there
^^^^^^^
I am not trying to knock your alarm install but maybe you should take some of your own advice. Why do you have your crimestopper brain and relays behind your glove box? Theres a nice spot underneath the center console or better yet under the driver dash. I use a test probe that you can throw a postive or negative signal and test before you do so. I work in a speciality shop we install thousands of alarms and starters ever year.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:16 PM   #14
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
^^ thats true i have been there! they do really good work and i am yet to de disapointed by anything they have ever done. hell they did my door panels and i am yet to hear anything bad about those from anyone on this site or around town.

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 11:17 PM   #15
iceman
woop woop

Quote:
^^^^^^^
I am not trying to knock your alarm install but maybe you should take some of your own advice. Why do you have your crimestopper brain and relays behind your glove box? Theres a nice spot underneath the center console or better yet under the driver dash. I use a test probe that you can throw a postive or negative signal and test before you do so. I work in a speciality shop we install thousands of alarms and starters ever year.
You can knock it all you want, I've been doing alarms for almost 10 years now and I went over this plan with a few pro's as well before I tackled it just to double check all of my work... Your shop installs alarms, it sure doesn't sound like you actually do though if I have to explain this.. Everything should be self explanatory but I'll answer your questions without totally giving up how to steal my car for the benefit of everyone.

My brain is up in the center of the dash, to get it out the glove box and passenger side hush panel have to come out. Why? The BCM is right there for one, where every connection is except for the stuff you grab at the ignition switch.. Makes wiring 10x easier and only also makes only two real main harnesses for the whole alarm + remote start.

Two - Every cheap quickie alarm install shop will put brains under the driver's side to save time and make more money because they can do the installs faster. None of them have the GM service manuals and connector end views / schematics like I did either, and will just go by the quickie wiring diagram, running wires all over the place, etc. You don't put the brain where it's easy, you put it where it will be the most secure. You don't want to expose any wiring if you don't have to.

Under the center console (I am assuming you are talking about the cubby, since in the shifter area there is no space) is a retarded place to put an alarm brain in a 99+ GA... It requires no tools to reach your hand around there and yank that out in a heartbeat.

A brain on the driver's side makes it much easier to disable the alarm. You can rip out a driver's side hush panel and unplug a brain in under 10 seconds from the door opening, it's a joke and it's just the wrong way to do it.

If someone tries that in my car they won't find the brain or be able to identify alarm wiring any time soon and they'll have a few piezo sirens in their face while they are going deaf looking for it even if the battery is cut.

For the DIY, take your time on the alarm install, there's no rush. The most secure for the brain in this car, IMO, is hidden up in the dash, around the defroster vent / passenger air bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magyver
^ that maybe a little extreme, but it depends on the brand of alarm i guess.. as i helped w/ mine (had the guys do it while i was hangin some plasma's) and when i got back, my manager just got to takin panels off, so i since i was done, i helped.. we only had the radio, drivers kick panel, and both lower door sills.. didnt need to go into glovebox area.. all i got is 2 shock and 2 prox sensors, keyless w/ remote. hardest part was tapping into ignition wires and hiding stuff.. luckly w/out my radio up top, all my relays and module's site up behind my screen.. other than that, it gets pretty tight under the drivers lower dash...
oh yah buddy.. definitely a lot of extra wires hangin out in that pic!! ... I was coming back from a break and I was like whoa, this needs a pic

Last edited by iceman; 02-27-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:51 AM   #16
Mendoza
RK-GT

Mendoza Gettin' there
I can't even look at your install pics without saying yank that hack job. I don't run a quickie install car shop we install alarms/starters in great locations. Installing a crimestopper 2011 in your glove box is not a good location. Crimestoppers are in my opinion some of the worst car starter/alarms. There notorious for having bad brains and remotes. What happens when you have a bad relay? Are you going to rip apart your whole car just to swap a relay or even worse to change a popped fuse? Whatever you want your 10+ shop exprience doesn't really live up to my standards.

Quote:
None of them have the GM service manuals and connector end views / schematics like I did either, and will just go by the quickie wiring diagram, running wires all over the place, etc.
WTF are you talking about? Do you want a print out of the schematics sheets that we use? Better yet let me take a pic of my install and a couple other vehicles we do today. Then I will show you some pics of this $20,000 system we are putting together at this quickie car audio shop.

P.S. We tend to mount the starter/alarm brains with the provided screw holes so you can't just "yank" them out.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
I don't think he installed it "in" the glove box. He's talking about behind the glove box, so that to get to it you have to take the glove box out. Not particularly hard, but still time consuming for a thief to try. Therefore it's fairly secure, hidden, and looks clean, plus there's more room back there. In fact it's about the only place there's room left on my car. Everything else is full.

I have a factory manual and I've done plenty of complicated wiring (all my gauges, ICCU fuel computer, DRL eliminator kit, MSD ignition, etc etc etc) so I'll probably do it myself this spring. If the range of the compustar is double of the autopage I just might go with that then, but I'll hate paying double the price and having the goofy six tone siren.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:38 PM   #18
iceman
woop woop

Quote:
I can't even look at your install pics without saying yank that hack job. I don't run a quickie install car shop we install alarms/starters in great locations. Installing a crimestopper 2011 in your glove box is not a good location. Crimestoppers are in my opinion some of the worst car starter/alarms. There notorious for having bad brains and remotes. What happens when you have a bad relay? Are you going to rip apart your whole car just to swap a relay or even worse to change a popped fuse? Whatever you want your 10+ shop exprience doesn't really live up to my standards.
For the third time.. Since you seem to have a reading comprehension problem:

I don't know why you think the brain is IN the glove box.

That pic was taken very early in the install while I was test fitting lengths of the wiring and locations. Does it look like that now?? hellllllls no!!!!! not even close. the wiring is completely hidden, twisted, taped up, and out of the way like it should be. In fact if you take out the glove box, you can't even see the alarm wiring that's how good it is hidden. If I actually thought you might learn something from this experience, I'd go snap some pics now.

When I pop a fuse or a relay? Well, if you are popping fuses, there's one sign of a bad install.. That should never happen really. If I pop a relay, they are quite accessible from the passenger side fuse panel.

Sure, crimestopper isn't the best of brands out there, but it's got the features I need, works great, and the prices are reasonable. The best alarm out there is still completely worthless without a good installer (again, read the sticky at the top of this section by oldinstaller). I am talking install jobs, not brand quality, don't mix subjects around.

Quote:
WTF are you talking about? Do you want a print out of the schematics sheets that we use? Better yet let me take a pic of my install and a couple other vehicles we do today. Then I will show you some pics of this $20,000 system we are putting together at this quickie car audio shop.

P.S. We tend to mount the starter/alarm brains with the provided screw holes so you can't just "yank" them out.
Sure, show me your schematics... I have the ones made by the people that actually built the car, you think yours will be any better?? Obviously not if you are talking about running wires to locks, lights, etc.. all over the car, then you definitely don't have what I do.

I'm glad you mount your brains with the screw holes, there's one good move... But I will guarantee, 100%, put an alarm with the brain in the center console or driver's dash, that it will get disabled a lot faster than one installed properly hidden up in the dash, which is the best spot in this car.

Stores need to make money, that's why they do things the fast way not necesarily the best way all the time.

I honestly don't care about the reputation of your shop or you, I'm not stating opinions here, this is the right way to do things. If you want to ignore what I'm saying and instead focus on that one pic test fitting some wire lengths while I made it to look like a mess, go ahead.

I wish Mike or Kent were around to exlain things to ya

Aaron.. this is something that's definitely within your league to do. You'll want to accessorize though. Putting a siren w/ a battery backup in an obvious place is a start, like the engine bay, while you hide other ones elsewhere in the car, like the windshield wiper motor cavity, under the dash, etc.. Add multiple status LED's, those "buttons" on the dash are a great spot. You can grab the ignition wires from the radio area if you want as well.
Old 02-28-2006, 03:46 PM   #19
awaadster3
GAGT - Member

AKA: ammar
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am GT Sedan
awaadster3 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to awaadster3 Send a message via MSN to awaadster3
Hornet 564T Alarm

Hi, I would rather not open a new thread on this, so I wanted your opinions.

My perffered installer shop is offering me a Hornet 564T alarm system installed for $475, is that normal or is he takin me for a joy ride? I know its 80% installer and 20% alarm, and he specializes in installin alarms, and his customers back that up.

here are the specs:

2-Way Security System / Remote Start System! 5 channel remote start/security/keyless entry system

Introducing the Hornet 564T 2-Way Remote Start/Security System. A state-of-the-art FCC-Legal 2-Way system that leaves the competition in the dust!

# Confirms commands and system triggers on the transceiver LCD screen
# Clone-Safe® Code-Hopping®
# Parking Light Flash
# Failsafe® Starter Kill
# Anti-Grind
# Stinger® DoubleGuard® Shock Sensor
# Revenger® Six-Tone Siren
# Super Bright LED System Status Indicator
# Miniature XCRS (Extreme Capacity Relay Satellite)
# Defroster Output
# Built-in Turbo Timer
# 3 Auxiliary outputs
# Dome Light Supervision
# Includes One 2-way LCD Transceiver and One 4-Button Transmitter
awaadster3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:40 PM   #20
Mendoza
RK-GT

Mendoza Gettin' there
I didn't mean in the glove box I meant behind it. Sorry I didn't read my reply over. Crimestoppers are known for popping fuses when you leave the heater on full blast and you remote start. Not only does it pop the fuse it melts the holder and the fuse it's self. Common problem with the 2011 and RS900 models.

Quote:
Obviously not if you are talking about running wires to locks, lights, etc.. all over the car, then you definitely don't have what I do.
I don't remember saying I ran wires all over my car. I used the wiring harness provided with my remote start. The only wires I had to extend was tach and siren. I'm done talking to you about this.

Aaron
If you do plan on going with the 2w900fm-A. I can provide you with the compustar schematics that show you exactly how to hook it up in a GA. If the 6 tone siren isn't your thing I can ship you out a Autopage siren. PM me for more details.

Oh ya and the compustar comes with 2 LEDs. One is inside the RPS and the other you can mount just about anywhere.

Last edited by Mendoza; 02-28-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Mendoza is offline   Reply With Quote