GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2006, 05:49 AM   #1
Mowat_1
GAGT - Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11
Vehicle: 2000 Grand AM SE1
Mowat_1 Gettin' there
Bleeding ABS Brakes

I need to change the front brake caliper on a 2000 GR AM . Is there any special technique that needs to be done to bleed the brake line with ABS /ETS braking system or can you just do manual method, I.E. pump brake pedal, hold while buddy opens bleed screw.
Mowat_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 05:55 AM   #2
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 33
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Ive never bled the brakes on my GA but that is how i would do it if i was going to.
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #3
manic mechanic
GAGT - Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario
Posts: 45
Vehicle: 2001 SE2
manic mechanic Gettin' there
Just try and minimize the loss of brake fluid when removing the old caliper. When removing the banjo bolt, (the bolt that holds the flexible brake line to the caliper) do it quickly and have the new caliper handy and ready to install.

As a precautionary measure you can always slip a small section of rubber tubing in place of the banjo bolt through the hole of the flexible brake line to stop the flow of brake fluid while to tending to the tasks of cleaning the banjo bolt and preparing the new copper washers for installation. The rubber tube will seal the hole within the squared off hose fitting (brass) preventing the loss of even more brake fluid.

If you introduce air into the ABS system by completely draining the brake fluid reservoir, you will have to use specialized equipment to open certain valves and solenoids within the ABS system to completely bleed the air out.

You can always top up the brake fluid reservoir before you begin removing the original caliper in order to give you more of a cushion should you lose more brake fluid than originally expected.
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
digitalballz
# 1846
 
digitalballz's Avatar
 
AKA: Bobby Jr.
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Malden, Ma.
Age: 32
Posts: 1,479
Vehicle: 2002 WS6 CETA
digitalballz Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to digitalballz
Yes the old manual method works. Pump it...... Hold it...... sounds kinda like porn!!
__________________
I have dated a girl for her brains...........Big.............Huge........ BRAINS.
digitalballz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:40 PM   #5
eaglesrealm
GAGT - Member
 
eaglesrealm's Avatar
 
AKA: First
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 137
Vehicle: 2001 Grand AM GT
eaglesrealm Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by manic mechanic
Just try and minimize the loss of brake fluid when removing the old caliper. When removing the banjo bolt, (the bolt that holds the flexible brake line to the caliper) do it quickly and have the new caliper handy and ready to install.

As a precautionary measure you can always slip a small section of rubber tubing in place of the banjo bolt through the hole of the flexible brake line to stop the flow of brake fluid while to tending to the tasks of cleaning the banjo bolt and preparing the new copper washers for installation. The rubber tube will seal the hole within the squared off hose fitting (brass) preventing the loss of even more brake fluid.

If you introduce air into the ABS system by completely draining the brake fluid reservoir, you will have to use specialized equipment to open certain valves and solenoids within the ABS system to completely bleed the air out.

You can always top up the brake fluid reservoir before you begin removing the original caliper in order to give you more of a cushion should you lose more brake fluid than originally expected.
Ummmm...I don't have the schematic in front of me, but I don't believe you will need any special tools and can bleed as normal. AS LONG AS you do the bleed fully and completely before initiating any sort of ABS/TC event. All ABS systems have manual push thru in the event of a failure. Thus, the normally open channels of the valve can have air pass through them. The bad part to have air would ONLY get air if you cycled the ABS with air in the line OR you cracked open one of the two solenoids, etc that lead into the back 1/2 of the unit.
eaglesrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:07 PM   #6
manic mechanic
GAGT - Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ontario
Posts: 45
Vehicle: 2001 SE2
manic mechanic Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrealm
Ummmm...I don't have the schematic in front of me, but I don't believe you will need any special tools and can bleed as normal. AS LONG AS you do the bleed fully and completely before initiating any sort of ABS/TC event. All ABS systems have manual push thru in the event of a failure. Thus, the normally open channels of the valve can have air pass through them. The bad part to have air would ONLY get air if you cycled the ABS with air in the line OR you cracked open one of the two solenoids, etc that lead into the back 1/2 of the unit.
Or if your partner (the pedal pusher) decides to turn the key so he could listen to the radio and inadvertently cycles the ABS system (at the first turn of the key as always) while you were in the process of refilling your master cylinder.

Keeping as much fluid as possible in the reservoir is just my way of playing it safe.
manic mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #7
eaglesrealm
GAGT - Member
 
eaglesrealm's Avatar
 
AKA: First
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 137
Vehicle: 2001 Grand AM GT
eaglesrealm Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by manic mechanic
Or if your partner (the pedal pusher) decides to turn the key so he could listen to the radio and inadvertently cycles the ABS system (at the first turn of the key as always) while you were in the process of refilling your master cylinder.

Keeping as much fluid as possible in the reservoir is just my way of playing it safe.

I am not saying to not try and keep fluid in the tubes to the MC ports. However, the system check of the ABS takes place at some low speed, not at key turn. AT least in most systems - including ours I believe.
eaglesrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com
RedlineGoods.com