GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 03-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #1
andrewe77
GAGT - Member

AKA: Andrew
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
andrewe77 Gettin' there
Coolant boiling out overflow

Yesterday air temperature was near 80 degrees and I noticed my low coolant light come on and the temperature creeping up past the second notch past 200 when I was stuck in traffic. I got to a gas station and the reservoir was empty and apparently the coolant boiled out. Drove home with the heater on full blast and picked up a new reservior cap and a gallon of Dexcool along the way.

Replaced the cap, filled it up with dexcool and bled the system. I let it idle in the driveway for some time and watched it as the temperature creeped up to 3 ticks over 200 which is approximately 218 deggres from my estimate. At this point, the coolant began boiling again and shooting out the reservoir overflow tube.

Took it to a mechanic this morning and it didn't misbehave at all. On his scanner, the coolant never went over 200 degrees. Went ahead and drove into work and the temp never went over 1 tick the entire way.

I think I may have a intermittant cooling fan problem, but should the coolant be boiling out at only 3 ticks over 200 degrees? Seems to me like the system isn't getting pressurized properly. There are no external leaks and I've had it flushed, thermostat changed and LIM gaskets replaced about a year ago. Never have any high temperature problems when the car is moving fast.

Any ideas???
andrewe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:07 AM   #2
black05GT
A Damn Yankee

AKA: Fitz
Vehicle: 2005 Grand Am GT Coupe
black05GT Gettin' there
FWIW - a pressurized system raises the boiling point, but given enough heat, the anti-freeze/water mixture will eventually boil. Might I suggest, as you have mentioned, that your cooling fan motors be checked. I had an incident in an older model that (unknown to me) the fans had a high and a low speed - my problem was that the fan/fans were not going into the high speed, thus it would overheat at low speeds or while idling yet would run at 'normal' temps while moving.
Hope this helps, good luck - be cautious of running the engine too long at higher temps, you're asking for engine problems down the road.
black05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
andrewe77
GAGT - Member

andrewe77 Gettin' there
Did you replace the relays to fix the problem or what? Yes, mine is a 2000 GT and I do believe that the fans are dual speed. At the mechanic, they were running on low speed but maybe occasionally they are not bumping up to high speed and then there is too much heat load and the coolant boils.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:23 AM   #4
black05GT
A Damn Yankee

AKA: Fitz
Vehicle: 2005 Grand Am GT Coupe
black05GT Gettin' there
If memory is correct, <g> - the mechanic changed the fan motors - I think he said that it was fortunate that the fan and fan motor were two different assemblies - for some models, it's all one piece - I don't recall a problem with any relays, but that's a reasonable component to check (shouldn't be difficult/expensive, and it would eliminate that as a cause)
black05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #5
iceman
woop woop

AKA: Seth
Vehicle: 97 Blazer - 84 Fiero
iceman has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
It was probably the cap.. happens
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:35 PM   #6
andrewe77
GAGT - Member

andrewe77 Gettin' there
Replacing the cap is the first thing I did.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
JuanG1226
Stock rocker

Vehicle: 2001 Grand Am GT
JuanG1226 Gettin' there
the same thing happened to my '01. i changed the cap and the thermostat. still the coolant would boil out the overflow tube. so i had the lower intake gasket replaced because i noticed it wet down there, and now its fine. i've been reading that a lot of the lower intake manifold gaskets were giving a lot of GA owners proplems.

Last edited by JuanG1226; 03-19-2006 at 12:00 AM.
JuanG1226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #8
Panacea
Mmmm Donuts.

AKA: Macleod52
Vehicle: '09 Malibu LTZ
Panacea a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to Panacea
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman
It was probably the cap.. happens
That's what happened to me. I didn't have the cap tightened all the way.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #9
REV13
Just like new!!! =)

Vehicle: '97 GAGT/ '00 GAGT 4dr
REV13 Gettin' there
Just thought i should ask yall for help...I got a '97 GAGT. I had to pull over 3 times today cuz the car overheated. started yesterday with this crap.The reservoir is not empty (duh), but wat happens is that the coolant is boiling up inside. As if it doesnt wanna go and cool the engine....believe it or not I just recently (thru the searching) found out about that messed up LIM gasket, can it be that? im guessing it is, it will be replaced no matter what but any other ideas? extremely frustrating pulling over waiting for the car to cool in this Miami weather and then it just overheats again in a few minutes.
REV13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:05 PM   #10
swordfencer
GAGT - Member

AKA: c
Vehicle: 2007 4Runner V8 SE
swordfencer Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to swordfencer
I would say you have a plugged radiator. My 78 Chrysler was boiling coolant out and it turned out it was a plugged radiator.
swordfencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
REV13
Just like new!!! =)

REV13 Gettin' there
^if ure talking to me, my radiator was flushed a few months ago...guess it wont hurt to do it again though.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:00 PM   #12
REV13
Just like new!!! =)

REV13 Gettin' there
...just to add...my car has been running idle for about 25 mins as i type this..its reading a little over 3/4 on the temp gauge...(yea i let it cool all the way down first) theres smoke coming out of the reservoir..no boiling like b4 though...this car is pissing me off!
Old 05-12-2006, 07:42 AM   #13
swordfencer
GAGT - Member

AKA: c
Vehicle: 2007 4Runner V8 SE
swordfencer Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to swordfencer
Sometimes a flush does not remove all of the deposits. You may also want to flush out the engine block as well.

Other than that, try testing your thermostat to see if it is opening correctly. Take it out and put it in some hot (180+ degree) water. Usually when the coolant boils over, it means there is a restriction somewhere in the system.
swordfencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #14
REV13
Just like new!!! =)

REV13 Gettin' there
thx for the help guys..i just got a new cap...got my car running idle right now, it started sucking in coolant as soon as i put it on so hopefully that was it..easy fix..ill test it on the road later......and yea the thermostat was next on my list if the cap didnt fix it so we'll see...thx again...
Old 05-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #15
Molson
Admininadian!

AKA: Jim
Vehicle: Fords (I know eh?)
Molson a trusted member
don't forget to bleed it.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:47 AM   #16
Shevchenko
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: 2000 grand am Se1
Shevchenko Gettin' there
hi all, is the DEXCOOL coolant red or orange in colour?

Last wk, after I drove my 2000 GA SE1 for 35mins and parked the car in the garage for 30 mins, I saw a big puddle of orange/red liquid on the floor. It was a very big puddle of liquid that stretches from my right tyre to the left tyre!

is this from the coolant? can the coolant vent out because of overheating? or can it be due to the cap not tightened? but i do not have the engine overheating and low coolant light coming on....
and also if the venting is due to untightened cap, how to explain this? I dont understand why a loose cap can cause the coolant to vent out from the tube...

can I cfm that this is not from the auto transmission fluid? I cant seem to chk the ATF fluid level...

sorry for sooo many qns.... I am just too afraid that during one of my road trips, my car is standed on the highway!
thnx alot guys!

Last edited by Shevchenko; 05-15-2006 at 09:45 PM.
Shevchenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #17
Shevchenko
GAGT - Newbie

Shevchenko Gettin' there
anyone can pls help?
thnz!
Old 05-17-2006, 10:39 PM   #18
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!

AKA: Andy
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
Sounds like you have a coolant leak. Dexcool is orange in color. ATF is red. As for where the leak is coming from could be anyone's guess. First place I would look is your radiator hoses. If they are dry then check the water pump. The internal seals in the pump are known to fail over time, causing it to leak from the bottom vent opening.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:29 AM   #19
Shevchenko
GAGT - Newbie

Shevchenko Gettin' there
i tightened my cap and pour in abt 1 gallon of tap water.
so far no problems....

can I jus leave it as it is, ie, diluted coolant, or do I need to flush the whole system and top with DEXCOOL??
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #20
gobraves00
www.myridespace.net

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 1997 Grand AM GT
gobraves00 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to gobraves00
sorry to bring back an old thread, but i keep reading in threads that regard adding coolant to"bleed system", how do i do that in a 97. i think in the next gen after mine there was a bleeder screw, but i cant find one for mine, and i dont see one in my haynes. can anyone give me any ideas on how to blled, cause i think i have trapped air. so far the only way i see for me is to leave car running with cap off and heat on high and wait 10-5 minutes.
gobraves00 is offline   Reply With Quote