GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 04-15-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Sc0oB

Surging

iv done searches for this problem and came up with 44 other topics on this but no real answers. when im driving around 60 to 80kmh mostly on highway i notice my engine starts to surge like and loses power and gaines power ripidly untill i let of the gas. i took it into the shop they couldnt find any probs but told me my spark plugs need to be replaced. so i did that it seemed to work for a few days.but now its doing it again. i read another topic on here the guy said he had his pressure control solinoid replaced and reconfigured PCM and that fixed the problem... whats PCM? thx and is it expensive?
Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 PM   #2
videoman
I shoot people.

AKA: Mr. President
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT Coupe
videoman Gettin' there
Had the very same issue.

Tranny surging in 3rd gear

the only fix was a complete PCM replacement. warranty covered it, but the dealer also tried PCM reflashes, Presure control solinoids, torque converter and PCM tuning. Nothing worked. The issue would go away for about 2 months then come back. I finally found some info that lead me to believe it was a PCM issue and only a PCM issue. We replaced the original unit and since then no problems, and that was over 10 months ago.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Sc0oB

Ok i know NOTHING about engines, whats a PCM and how much is it gonna cost me to get it replaced cuz my warrenty's over.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
digitalballz
# 1846

AKA: Bobby Jr.
Vehicle: 2002 WS6 CETA
digitalballz Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to digitalballz
PCM= the brain of your car. which in turn = expensive, most of the time.
Old 04-16-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
coupe
lick it

AKA: Rand
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Get a DHP PCM......
Sounds to me to be a spark issue, if your spark plugs where toaste then you probably need to replace your wires also. While your doing that clean your coil pack posts. Also just for the hell of it seafoam it.
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Sc0oB

you were right coup all it was was a really dirty spark plug wire wheeew thought it was going to be a wallet buster thx. its like driving a new car again.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:58 PM   #7
AznGA
GAGT - Junkie

AKA: YJ
Vehicle: GAGT
AznGA Gettin' there
I had this problem a long time ago as well, when I had NGK iridium spark plugs and taylor wires. I replaced them with AC Delco plugs and wires and it has been fine so far.
AznGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 09:01 PM   #8
Sc0oB

yeah same parts i used....allot cheaper then replacing PCM ...god thats a load of my back