GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #1
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Pre-cat O2 sensor, what problems would this cause?

If my pre-cat O2 sensor took a poo what symptoms would the car have?
Hesistation?
Poor exceleration?
Missing?
etc.
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!
 
Sprucegagt's Avatar
 
AKA: Andy
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ranson, WV
Age: 42
Posts: 2,027
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
A DTC code set making the check engine light come on and poor gas mileage.
__________________
2000 Grand Am GT (some day it will be SC/T)
Mods: alot
Sprucegagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #3
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
My check engine light is on.
Here is the deal and what happened:
I, the idiot that i am did not secure my A/F pigtail. So for a few months it was layin on my rear header. My SES light came on and the idle was all f-ed up and had poor exceleration, so i went to AZ to get the code read, it was an O2 sensor. So i inspected and found my pigtail laying on the rear header completely burned through. So i hardwired it right to the car and threw away the pigtail. The idle is fine now but the car is bogging down and hesitating under light to moderate exceleration.
Now i also suspect the plugs. I got Bosch's for free and figured why the hell not and i put them in. I dont know what kind of bosch they are though, they have 2 prongs instead of 1, really funny lookin plug. I know that bosch sucks on these cars but i didnt have this problem for many weeks AFTER i put the plugs in so im skeptical that its the plugs.
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:15 AM   #4
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!
 
Sprucegagt's Avatar
 
AKA: Andy
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ranson, WV
Age: 42
Posts: 2,027
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
Sounds like you shorted the O2 sensor resulting in the PCM just estimating the engine's fueling needs and using the bad fuel timing table. This explains the poor acceleration. Your plugs may be fouled but that is only from the O2 being bad. Clean the plugs, change the O2 and get the code cleared. Your problems should go away.
__________________
2000 Grand Am GT (some day it will be SC/T)
Mods: alot
Sprucegagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 08:29 AM   #5
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
How much do these pre-cat O2 sensors run?
Im guessing $100 or more. I just ordered knew plugs from summit with my 'summit bucks'.
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!
 
Sprucegagt's Avatar
 
AKA: Andy
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ranson, WV
Age: 42
Posts: 2,027
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
I got mine from GMPD for about $85 with shipping.
__________________
2000 Grand Am GT (some day it will be SC/T)
Mods: alot
Sprucegagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:10 AM   #7
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
I found a denso O2 sensor on sparkplug.com.
Its $43, that dont seem right......
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 AM   #8
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!
 
Sprucegagt's Avatar
 
AKA: Andy
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ranson, WV
Age: 42
Posts: 2,027
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
I would only use the GM sensor. Stay away from Bosch or others.
__________________
2000 Grand Am GT (some day it will be SC/T)
Mods: alot
Sprucegagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #9
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Can someone check out that site and tell me if they think it looks like a good buy?
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:24 AM   #10
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegagt
I would only use the GM sensor. Stay away from Bosch or others.
I figured as much.
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:27 AM   #11
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
I was told alot of people in the GP community have bought this sensor and it is said to be a great sensor, way better than bosch and equivalent to GM's. Im gonna take a chance and buy it.
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #12
NorKoastal
WhiteOutGT
 
NorKoastal's Avatar
 
AKA: Brad
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: NorCal
Age: 36
Posts: 911
Vehicle: 2000 GA GT Coupe
NorKoastal Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to NorKoastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
I was told alot of people in the GP community have bought this sensor and it is said to be a great sensor, way better than bosch and equivalent to GM's. Im gonna take a chance and buy it.

Let us know how it goes... My Long fuel trim is kind of suspect at idle (-20+ at times) and open loop acceleration seems to bog more than closed loop driving..

Mods: CAI, UD pulley, SLP catback, and DHP, IAT 1/2 way down CAI

I just Seafoamed and my third gear has more pep with better acceleration.. I still have stock o2's front and back that are stock (50K), and my Maf hasn't been cleaned yet (looks clean through)....
NorKoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:14 PM   #13
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Ive decided to be smart for a change and buy an ACdelco replacement.
Thats gonna hurt.

Anyone know what size O2 sensor soket i need?

I know someone has a haynes and can look it up for me real quick.
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #14
lone_wolf025
Spirit guides
 
lone_wolf025's Avatar
 
AKA: Jon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Age: 34
Posts: 3,139
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT1
lone_wolf025 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to lone_wolf025
Why would your O2 sensor SHORT out from a messed up mix? For the record bad A/F mixtures either burn the sensor (not very likely) or gunk it up with carbon (more likely) which can be fixed just by running the car at a steady 2,000rpm for a good minute solid. Also keep in mind that just because the code says something is up with the sensor does not necessarily mean its bad.

Personally I'd ditch the bosch plugs seeing as how numerous people have had issues with "performance" plugs and just go back to stock.
__________________
A lack of something better

Never ask why people do strange/stupid things...the answer just makes it worse...

14.841 @91.56mph


Quote:
Originally Posted by Someone else
Ahhh but that would be in the land of "Makes Sense"...you forget that we live in the land of "DUHHH"
lone_wolf025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #15
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!
 
Sprucegagt's Avatar
 
AKA: Andy
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ranson, WV
Age: 42
Posts: 2,027
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf025
Why would your O2 sensor SHORT out from a messed up mix? For the record bad A/F mixtures either burn the sensor (not very likely) or gunk it up with carbon (more likely) which can be fixed just by running the car at a steady 2,000rpm for a good minute solid. Also keep in mind that just because the code says something is up with the sensor does not necessarily mean its bad.

Personally I'd ditch the bosch plugs seeing as how numerous people have had issues with "performance" plugs and just go back to stock.
You never read the third post in this thread, did you?
__________________
2000 Grand Am GT (some day it will be SC/T)
Mods: alot
Sprucegagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #16
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_wolf025
Why would your O2 sensor SHORT out from a messed up mix? For the record bad A/F mixtures either burn the sensor (not very likely) or gunk it up with carbon (more likely) which can be fixed just by running the car at a steady 2,000rpm for a good minute solid. Also keep in mind that just because the code says something is up with the sensor does not necessarily mean its bad.

Personally I'd ditch the bosch plugs seeing as how numerous people have had issues with "performance" plugs and just go back to stock.



Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe
My check engine light is on.
Here is the deal and what happened:
I, the idiot that i am did not secure my A/F pigtail. So for a few months it was layin on my rear header. My SES light came on and the idle was all f-ed up and had poor exceleration, so i went to AZ to get the code read, it was an O2 sensor. So i inspected and found my pigtail laying on the rear header completely burned through. So i hardwired it right to the car and threw away the pigtail. The idle is fine now but the car is bogging down and hesitating under light to moderate exceleration.
Now i also suspect the plugs. I got Bosch's for free and figured why the hell not and i put them in. I dont know what kind of bosch they are though, they have 2 prongs instead of 1, really funny lookin plug. I know that bosch sucks on these cars but i didnt have this problem for many weeks AFTER i put the plugs in so im skeptical that its the plugs.

***
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 03:43 PM   #17
coupe
lick it
 
coupe's Avatar
 
AKA: Rand
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, Mi
Age: 36
Posts: 7,347
Vehicle: 99 GAGT/96 Z71/05 R6
coupe a trusted member
Well i didnt need a socket. It was loose and i unscrewed it by hand, weird.
You think maybe thats why its acting screwy?
__________________
CarDomain.com
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=31690558
he has asserted his dominance over competing males with the loud masculine sound form his exaust system, Females searching for a potential mate will be driven away by weaker exaust systems and attracted to his SLP.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!
 
Sprucegagt's Avatar
 
AKA: Andy
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ranson, WV
Age: 42
Posts: 2,027
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
It's possible but not likely. If you burnt through the insulation on the pigtail wiring then it shorted the sensor. But if you feel like trying it. Just tighten the sensor up and give it a shot.
__________________
2000 Grand Am GT (some day it will be SC/T)
Mods: alot
Sprucegagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #19
White00GAGT
GAGT - Member
 
White00GAGT's Avatar
 
AKA: Jon
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mentor, OH
Age: 32
Posts: 179
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Sedan
White00GAGT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to White00GAGT
If it was just that wouldn't it just let 02 in from the crack and just make his dtc say that his pre-cat 02 was always reading lean causing it to dump fuel in which would foul the plugs? Its more likely the burned off insulation just shorted the sensor out though isnt it?
__________________
Current mods: K&N filter, Alpine CDA-7873 head unit, 2 Alpine Type S 12"s, Sony XM-2200GTX amp, Silver Star headlights, XLerator muffler w/ Magnaflow tips, Red led turn signals (not in right now), 20% tint all around, KYB struts, Intrax springs
Future: Dr.Speed stage 3 CAI, Side marker overlays
Cardomain
N-Body
White00GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:46 PM   #20
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!
 
Sprucegagt's Avatar
 
AKA: Andy
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Ranson, WV
Age: 42
Posts: 2,027
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by White00GAGT
If it was just that wouldn't it just let 02 in from the crack and just make his dtc say that his pre-cat 02 was always reading lean causing it to dump fuel in which would foul the plugs? Its more likely the burned off insulation just shorted the sensor out though isnt it?
Sigh...... Reading comprehension must not be taught in school anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegagt
It's possible but not likely. If you burnt through the insulation on the pigtail wiring then it shorted the sensor. But if you feel like trying it. Just tighten the sensor up and give it a shot.
__________________
2000 Grand Am GT (some day it will be SC/T)
Mods: alot
Sprucegagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com
RotorsOnline.com