GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 02-16-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
nitrodrip
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Shane
Vehicle: 1996
nitrodrip Gettin' there
1994 2.3 Quad 4 Head Replacement Question

My sister's timing chain slipped and bent all of her valves about a week ago.

A friend and I have changed everything out (rebuilt head, therm, intake, exhaust, tensioner pulley, new gaskets, water pump etc.) and have her buttoned back up. She started on the first crank but is leaking a large amount of oil out of the bottom of the timing chain housing.

We may have missed the camshaft o-ring but when we start it with the cover off (and the dampener on) it looks like there is oil coming through behind the tensioner? Any ideas? I can watch the oil drip from the cam sprocket (SOHC) but when I look through the wheel well I'm seeing a lot more coming through??

Also the manual shows an oil slinger that we didn't have on the crank when we first pulled it apart. Is this unique to the DOHC, or should I go buy another one. Is the timing chain case even supposed to have oil in it?

Thanks, Shane
nitrodrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
Dave Carney
GAGT - Member

AKA: Dave
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am LE Coupe
Dave Carney Gettin' there
I've done a timing set r&r on a '90 Grand Am quad 4. Are you saying it leaked with the timing chain cover on? Yes, there is defitinely supposed to be oil back there. There was a slinger on mine.
Dave Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 07:34 PM   #3
nitrodrip
GAGT - Newbie

nitrodrip Gettin' there
Yep with the cover on it was leaking pretty badly. OK so there's supposed to be oil so that's good. I wonder why the slinger was gone? Might be why she slipped a tooth?! Well I'll check the parts store for a new oil slinger, and I'll still get the cover off to make sure the cam o ring is on correct.

So when the car is running it sends oil through to the timing chain housing and the oil slinger does its job but how does the oil get back to re-circulate? Is there a passage at the bottom that may be clogged? I guess if there is enough oil at the bottom that may cause a leak. I really find it hard though, as the gaskets seem really strong (metal/rubber)??

Thanks for the input ... any other ideas?

Shane-
Old 02-16-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
Dave Carney
GAGT - Member

on the '90 DOHC, the only place for oil to leak out (assuming you install the timing cover gasket) is the crank seal around the harmonic balancer, and that should have been replaced as part of the job. Yes the oil flows back through a passage at the bottom. When you talk about cam o-ring i have no idea what that is...never seen a cam o-ring.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:23 PM   #5
nitrodrip
GAGT - Newbie

nitrodrip Gettin' there
Well I looked back through the Haynes Manual and it is called an oil seal (page 2B-10 Fig 9.14) but it looks like it's for the DOHC because it stated on the "intake cam". There is a gasket that goes at the end of the camshaft but I can't see how that was messed up ... really can only go on one way.

But good call on the crankshaft seal ... maybe that's it. We didn't change it because the car was transplanted with another 2.3 when she blew the head gasket awhile back. Look like they replaced all the seals/gasket (that we re-replaced just to make sure) so I figured I wouldn't mess with that one. But thanks for your help ... I think I have a good idea what to look for.

Thanks, Shane

P.S. Is there an exploded view of this engine anywhere that I can reference? Or maybe some instructions on a head gasket replacement?
Old 02-17-2007, 09:17 AM   #6
Dave Carney
GAGT - Member

Yeah Shane those crank seals really aren't re-useable, once used they kind of break in a certain way. When you r&r it, it will be a millimeter or 2 off from where it was and leak every time. Might try the autozone website for exploded view, they have quite a bit of stuff online.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #7
nitrodrip
GAGT - Newbie

nitrodrip Gettin' there
That sounds right I'm going to change that out, and we went to the stealership this morning and guess what .... NO OIL SLINGER?! So either it's for the DOHC or Hayes is making up parts ... either way I think we found where it's leaking so we are going to try and get her back together and try to torque her more evenly. I took the engine view from GM when he printed it so I'm going to scan it. Hopefully someone from the community can use it. Thanks for your help Dave.

Shane
Old 02-17-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Dave Carney
GAGT - Member

Be sure to put a bit of oil (just use a little on your finger and spread it) around the seal where it meets the crank to prevent it from burning up when you start the engine the first time.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:58 AM   #9
Matt95GT
East Coast OG

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 95 Grand Am GT Coupe
Matt95GT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Matt95GT Send a message via Yahoo to Matt95GT
Haynes and Chiltons manuals suck. I highly recommend the Helms/GM factory service manual set. www.helminc.com

I have the 94 set... it is my bible. Very pleased on how detailed and accurate the data is.
Matt95GT is offline   Reply With Quote