GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > HOW TO's

Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #61
KrazyGT-03
GAGT - Not so new

AKA: Gerson
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
KrazyGT-03 Gettin' there
im going to be doing this over the next day or two (two if i decide to paint intake/valve covers). i havent done this job before and never taken apart push rod motors.... i know this is an easy job, but im curious about something.... why do the push rods have to come out? i would have never thought they would have to come out if i hadnt read this and it isnt making any sense in my head right now (im sure it will once i get to this step).

also, im having a hard time deciding on a color to paint the intake... ive seen the 3400 intakes painted and most of them look good, but im swapping to the 3500 uim and im not sure what it would look like painted (other than silver, thats what it is now). anyone on here have recomendations or pics of what it might look like?
KrazyGT-03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:55 PM   #62
Grandamgtblk99
Burgee

AKA: Allen
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am Gt
Grandamgtblk99 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Grandamgtblk99 Send a message via Yahoo to Grandamgtblk99
You cant pull the old gasket off and put the new one on with the pushrods in place.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #63
alerored04
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2001 Oldmobile Alero
alerored04 Gettin' there
/\ Correct, the lim gasket has little plastic guide fingers that the pushrods ride on. So you must remove the pushrods to get the gasket out from under them.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM   #64
BOOTMASTER
i like JL AUDIO

AKA: Bruce
Vehicle: 2002 gt coupe
BOOTMASTER hey everyone, I'm a newb!
is there any gasket upgrade or something we can do to these? i've done it twice now, with about 40-50k between(i drive it like a stole it 24/7, ask my tranny), but i'm tired of doing it, and i want a permanent fix... at least i can do it in half a day now...
BOOTMASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:23 PM   #65
PhantomLover007
'Til I see you again

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 02 SC/T kitted & M62'd
PhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid pointsPhantomLover007 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to PhantomLover007 Send a message via Yahoo to PhantomLover007
Felpro gasket is the best to get. It has bits of metal embedded in it.

My ride:
GA's ONLY SC/T'ed Grand Am according to CarDomain
PhantomLover007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #66
FromTheInside
GAGT - Member

AKA: Tom
Vehicle: Black '99 Grand Am GT1
FromTheInside Gettin' there
Thanks for your awesome how-to. I just did this job myself last week using your guide and it went smoothly. I would say to not remove the exhaust manifolds while the heads are bolted on. It made it easier for me to unbolt the downpipe and the crosspipe and leave the manifolds on the heads until they were out of the car completely. Otherwise... Awesome guide.
FromTheInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 PM   #67
03SilverBullet
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 03 Grand Am SE2 Sedan
03SilverBullet Gettin' there
I'm almost done taking things apart, but I have come upon a big snag. The bolt on the front left of the LIM is a PITA to get, I just can't figure out how to get it to turn. Help ASAP is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Mods: 65mm throttle body, manifolds back exhaust with high flow cat and Pacesetter cat-back, a/c delete, custom cold air intake, WOT-Tech street/strip 3500 heads, comp. 3500 lim, comp. 3400 uim, and custom tune.
Transmission: Performance built with high stall torque converter and lsd.
(\___/)
( ='.'= )
(")__(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
03SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #68
Grandamgtblk99
Burgee

Send a message via AIM to Grandamgtblk99 Send a message via Yahoo to Grandamgtblk99
If its the bolt I think you are talking about I just used an open ended wrench for it. Sometimes I will use a u-joint to use a ratchet on it.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #69
03SilverBullet
GAGT - Member

Yeah I bet it's the one. I can't seem to get an open end wrench to turn it it loose. It meets the bracket where the PS pump goes when I try to turn it. I think it's because of the flexibility of the wrench.
Mods: 65mm throttle body, manifolds back exhaust with high flow cat and Pacesetter cat-back, a/c delete, custom cold air intake, WOT-Tech street/strip 3500 heads, comp. 3500 lim, comp. 3400 uim, and custom tune.
(\___/)
( ='.'= )
(")__(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #70
Grandamgtblk99
Burgee

yep thats it, I was able to use an open ended wrench, but it was a pain. Try going to the auto parts store and getting a ujoint adapter. Thatll help, plus the u-joint makes getting that bottom power steering bolt out and in easier.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:17 AM   #71
angrysk8r
GAGT - Member

AKA: Luke
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am SE
angrysk8r Gettin' there
you'll need that u-joint for the PS pump, but as for those small side bolts the easiest way is with a small open ended wrench

btw not sure what you're talking about grandamblk99...you can't really use a u-joint adapter with an open ended wrench
Old 04-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #72
03SilverBullet
GAGT - Member

Yeah it didn't fit with the u-joint. I went back after getting some rest and got it no problem with a wrench. I think I was just too tired to get it that night. Thanks for the help guys!
(\___/)
( ='.'= )
Old 04-24-2009, 11:49 PM   #73
Grandamgtblk99
Burgee

That happens all the time. All it takes is a break and when you come back to it, its easy.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 AM   #74
tunersaudioperf
neoblue456

Vehicle: 1999 grand am se
tunersaudioperf Gettin' there
does anyone have the order in which the fuel injectors need to be wired on the harness?
I got new wire harness and injectors and forgot to mark what goes where
need help asap
please reply here or by pm
thanx
tunersaudioperf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #75
-trigger-
Tou·ché.

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
-trigger- Gettin' there
is it ok to start the car and test drive or do I have to wait overnight for the RTV sealant to dry first. also is the RTV only used around the heads? thanks
-trigger- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:48 PM   #76
xxbackhillxx
Spoils

AKA: Tom
Vehicle: 2015 Sierra, ATS-V
xxbackhillxx has made plenty of valid pointsxxbackhillxx has made plenty of valid points
Let it dry for a few hours. I use RTV along every gasket I replace. And in a few other places I think it might need it. You can never have too much RTV

I need to strip my motor down and replace all of this crap again. Starting to burn some oil.
xxbackhillxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #77
-trigger-
Tou·ché.

AKA: Chris
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
-trigger- Gettin' there
ok cool, also is brake cleaner safe to use to clean the valve cover, manifolds, etc?
-trigger- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #78
VinnyWolf
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
VinnyWolf Gettin' there
Very good detailed instructions and the pictures help out immensely. I just have one question.

I haven't started to rip anything apart yet (been dealing with a very slow leak for years and would like to get it fixed before my luck runs out), but looking at the LIM, I'm not seeing why you would have to remove the valve covers, rocker arms and push rods. Probably a really dumb question and I'm sure I'm missing something, but wouldn't the LIM come off after removing the upper along with the fuel rail and all the other crap on top?

Again, thanks for taking the time to document all of this. It's going to come in handy when I finally get around to replacing the gasket.

Peace,

Vinny
VinnyWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #79
wedebrook
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 2000 Impala 3.4L
wedebrook Gettin' there
the gasket goes around and between some pushrods, therefore, you have to remove them to get it off and put the new one on.
2000 Impala 3400: SLP Dual Catback Exhaust, Polyurethane upper motor mounts, homemade fenderwell intake, Chrome Halo "Projector" headlights, Chrome 20" Euromax Design Wheels, GMPP W-Body Handling Kit (upgraded front and rear sways, front and back strut tower braces, tubular trailing arms), some more random appearance mods...
wedebrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 07:52 PM   #80
westerndragon
GAGT - Member

AKA: Eric
Vehicle: 1999 GT1
westerndragon has a little tarnish on their crown
Send a message via Yahoo to westerndragon
it only cost me 250 bucks to get this done if your getting charged much more find a diffrent garage and tell that one to eff themselves, for a garage that has any amount of business this is a realitively common replacement and they should have someone well versed in this procedure nice walkthrough BTW very nice for someone with half a brain but as for saving 600 bucks i hope you like getting ripped because I wouldnt go to anyone that wanted to charge me a first born for a gasket set

Tags
head gasket, lim gasket