GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > Car Audio, Video & Security

Old 06-06-2007, 04:48 PM   #1
jperryss
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
jperryss Gettin' there
Bypassing the factory Monsoon amp

NOTE TO MODS: I just got this idea while posting a long-winded reply about the subject in another thread. This question seems to come up quite a bit. Any chance for a sticky? Thanks - JP

Quite a few people have asked about replacing the factory speakers with aftermarket ones and how to power them off of an aftermarket deck, which inevitably brings up a bunch of concerns about how the impedances are different, and the potential problems that this can cause for the speakers and that factory Monsoon amp. For those that want to install aftermarket speakers without having to worry about all of that, it's a fairly painless process to bypass all of the factory amp wiring and remove it from the equation. This way, you can install pretty much any aftermarket speakers that are meant for the car with no impedance issues to worry about.

In your trunk, behind the left side carpet, there's an amp and a wiring harness that plugs into it. Pretty much every wire is either an input from the radio, or an output to the speakers.

This thread has the list of pinouts:
Monsoon System Pinouts

To bypass the amp: unplug the harness, match the input to the corresponding output for that speaker, and connect them at the harness. For example, if you wanted to bypass the amp and have the headunit directly connected to your new door speakers, you'd want to connect:
E2 TAN Left Front Speaker Output (+) to E15 DK BLU Left Front Midrange Speaker Output (+)
E3 GRY Left Front Speaker Output (-) to E16 LT BLU Left Front Midrange Speaker Output (-)
E1 LT GRN Right Front Speaker Output (+) to F7 ORN Right Front Midrange Speaker Output (+)
F1 DK GRN Right Front Speaker Output (-) to F6 DK GRN Right Front Midrange Speaker Output (-)

Just strip a little bit of wire away and jump them. Or, cut them from the harness and splice them together.

Now for the rears, you want to do:
E5 DK BLU Right Rear Speaker Output (+) to F14 DK GRN Right Subwoofer Speaker Output (+)
E4 LT BLU Right Rear Speaker Output (-) to F13 LT BLU/BLK Right Subwoofer Speaker Output (-)
E6 BRN Left Rear Speaker Output (+) to F15 DK BLU/WHT Left Subwoofer Speaker Outlet (+)
E7 YEL Left Rear Speaker Output (-) to F16 LT GRN/BLK Left Subwoofer Speaker Outlet (-)

(NOTE: This was all pulled from the Monsoon Pinout link I posted above.)

At this point, you'll have 8 pairs of spliced wires (+/- for each of four channels). Leave the harness disconnected, and you can now remove the Monsoon amp and toss it in the trash, burn it, sell it on eBay, etc. If you use a correct wiring harness when you install your aftermarket headunit, all of the outputs from the headunit are now directly connected to the door speakers and the rear deck woofers. You can now install any set of speakers you want, as long as they're meant to go in a car, and are 4-ohm (ie pretty much everything except Infinity Kappa).

Good luck!
jperryss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:57 PM   #2
kuecker_dj09
Former GAGT Owner

AKA: Seth
Vehicle: 2000 Silverado ECSB
kuecker_dj09 hey everyone, I'm a newb!
Send a message via MSN to kuecker_dj09 Send a message via Yahoo to kuecker_dj09
nice thread......i wonder if this would work on 99-00 GAs that have the Delco Amps.....

2000 Silverado- Daily and project truck

2000 Grand Am GT1- Gone But Not Forgotten
kuecker_dj09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:41 AM   #3
sneamonitakis

Thumbs up worked like a charm

Seriously, I do not know how to thank you enough.

I had purchased some Polk Audio Speakers off of Crutchfield to replace my stock speakers in my 2001 Grand Am GT Coupe (stock HU). The rear speakers were blown and I figured if I was to change the rear I might as well change the front too. Little did I know it wouldn't be as easy as I thought.

Upon installing them the door speakers went in just fine. No problems at all. Sounded great. Once I had moved to installing the rear speakers there were some major problems. The speakers would hiss and just cut out upon raising the volume to a certain level. I figured I hadn't grounded them properly so I tried again. After an hour I had given up. I called Crutchfield and they told me the radio is busted. Probably a busted rear channel.

Well it turns out no busted channel there. I just needed to bypass the Monsoon Amp. If anyone else is having the same problems I had, definitely do this. It fixed my problem and it didn't take that long at all.

Once again I thank you and if anyone is interested in the speakers I purchased I included links below. Not too expensive but they do pack a punch.

These are the speakers I purchase and I could not be happier. They sound INCREDIBLE. The bass is definitely there but mid and treble aren't shy at all. A nice balance.
Rear Deck - 6" x 9"
Door - 4"
Old 06-21-2007, 05:13 PM   #4
jperryss
GAGT - Member

jperryss Gettin' there
Awesome, glad to hear this worked out for ya.

I have a 2003, but I know the older GAs had a different system (Delco amp). I don't know a whole lot about that setup, though.

I'd like to add Delco system information to the first post, but I haven't worked with the Delco system myself to know the ins and outs of it.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
cardude007617
mmm turbo boost

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2005 WRX Sedan 5 Speed
cardude007617 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to cardude007617 Send a message via Yahoo to cardude007617
i just ran all new wire from my deck to all my speakers. a wire upgrade in itself will yield you some gains
Tanabe Touring 3in catback, ERZ bellmouth catted downpipe, catless uppipe, SPT Pink springs, SPT short shifter, SPT intake, stereo, Cobb Accessport stage II, Prosport boost/oil temp/volt gauges, 35%, 17x8 Rota Torques, F/R strut braces

It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM   #6
iceman
woop woop

Vehicle: 97 Blazer - 84 Fiero
iceman has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to iceman Send a message via Yahoo to iceman
Good info, but not going to stick it.. it's already there.
iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:38 PM   #7
jperryss
GAGT - Member

jperryss Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman View Post
Good info, but not going to stick it.. it's already there.
Fair enough. But how many people have asked how to replace their stock Monsoon speakers with aftermarket ones? The answer to that question (and the reasoning behind it) is not in the existing sticky.

And upgrading the speakers is a common thing to want to do, right up there with swapping the headunit or adding a sub.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
kuecker_dj09
Former GAGT Owner

well if you notice at the top of the car audio forum page a link takes you to: Car Audio Refrence Material. hopefully they can for once not be blind and act like retards and actually look before you post! but that will ever happen.

the reason i think iceman wont sticky it is because if noobs would actually think and read the system pinouts thread, they can figure out how to do it themselves. cardude007617 did it himself without much help on the forum as i recall from past threads on the site
Old 06-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #9
jperryss
GAGT - Member

jperryss Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuecker_dj09 View Post
the reason i think iceman wont sticky it is because if noobs would actually think and read the system pinouts thread, they can figure out how to do it themselves. cardude007617 did it himself without much help on the forum as i recall from past threads on the site
Agreed, and I'm not about to argue for the common sense of some (not all) of the noobs that post here.

What I was getting at is that, even people that read the stickies still ask "How do I hook up my new rear speakers, there's two sets of wires?" or "I get no highs from my new door speakers, why?" because that is NOT in the sticky. Sure the pinouts are there, but who knows when/why they should need to bypass in the first place? Those are things that are not addressed in the sticky. That's all.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
kuecker_dj09
Former GAGT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryss View Post
Agreed, and I'm not about to argue for the common sense of some (not all) of the noobs that post here.

What I was getting at is that, even people that read the stickies still ask "How do I hook up my new rear speakers, there's two sets of wires?" or "I get no highs from my new door speakers, why?" because that is NOT in the sticky. Sure the pinouts are there, but who knows when/why they should need to bypass in the first place? Those are things that are not addressed in the sticky. That's all.
these a good points. even if its not stickied, you should make a copy of the thread an paste it into a word processing document and save it to your computer and that way you can automatically answer that question. just a sugggestion IMO
Old 06-21-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
cardude007617
mmm turbo boost

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2005 WRX Sedan 5 Speed
cardude007617 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to cardude007617 Send a message via Yahoo to cardude007617
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuecker_dj09 View Post
well if you notice at the top of the car audio forum page a link takes you to: Car Audio Refrence Material. hopefully they can for once not be blind and act like retards and actually look before you post! but that will ever happen.

but i didnt use anything from the monsoon, my monsoon "amp" is out of my car and in my closet . like i said before, i ran prbly 70 feet of wire to all of my speakers from my aftermarket headunit.
Tanabe Touring 3in catback, ERZ bellmouth catted downpipe, catless uppipe, SPT Pink springs, SPT short shifter, SPT intake, stereo, Cobb Accessport stage II, Prosport boost/oil temp/volt gauges, 35%, 17x8 Rota Torques, F/R strut braces

It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
kuecker_dj09
Former GAGT Owner

^^^that is door number 2

2000 Silverado- Daily and project truck

2000 Grand Am GT1- Gone But Not Forgotten
Old 06-21-2007, 10:10 PM   #13
jperryss
GAGT - Member

jperryss Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude007617 View Post
but i didnt use anything from the monsoon, my monsoon "amp" is out of my car and in my closet . like i said before, i ran prbly 70 feet of wire to all of my speakers from my aftermarket headunit.
Yes, we all know you ran new wire. But some people don't have the time/patience to do so, and jumping the wires at the Monsoon wiring harness takes like 10 minutes.