GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 08-09-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
carsisadam
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: adam
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Sedan
carsisadam Gettin' there
Replaced Ignition cylinder switch. Now I can't start car!

Car: 2000 Grand Am GT w/ 155,000

Hi,
A few weeks ago, my ignition switch froze up and I couldn't get my key to turn. I was at a hotel and I tried to hotwire (passlock kept me from that) and so I just got it towed.

Got the new parts yesterday and hooked them up. Well, the key turns now and the starter tries to crank up but it will not fire up.
When I first installed it the security light came on. As expected.
I went through the procedure of turning the key to "on" for 10 min and then turning "off" for a min and turning back on to turn the security light off.
Ok, so now the security light is off. So the car should start right up right? Nope, still won't fire up, as if there is no fuel coming to engine.
Did I do the passlock reboot procedure wrong? Is there more to it?

One thing that I should mention is that my car is resting on a decline with the front end sitting lower than the back end. I have a little less than half a tank of gas. Is it possible that my fuel pump is not getting any fuel?? How full does my tank need to be to still be able to get fuel sitting on a decline like this.
I am frustrated as hell here, any ideas???
carsisadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Tank
GAGT - Member

AKA: TANK
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am SE1
Tank Still kinda new, but learning
Send a message via Yahoo to Tank
get your original part that goes around the cylinder and use that not the new one. If you use the new one you have to take it to the dealership and get the new peice programed for your car. Hope this makes since going of of 2 hrs of sleep. Son didnt go to sleep until 6 this morning.
Original member of the SE Crew #003

up up down down left right left right b a select start, you better ask somebody.
Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
carsisadam
GAGT - Newbie

carsisadam Gettin' there
Ok, in regards to the last post, I am not sure what you mean. Which part do I need to take to dealer to get programed?

First, this is the part that broke in the first place. I bought this one that already has coded-keys that come with it.

And to get the old cylnder out (the key would not turn in old one) I had to completley destroy this part and order a new one.

So what do I need to take in? What do I need to tell them and about how much does this cost?
Thanks!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
Tank
GAGT - Member

The first picture, that is actually 2 parts. There is the actual cylinder then the metal sleeve part that has the chip in it. If the sleeve part is the one that is broke then you have to go to the dealer and get that programed for your car. If that part did not break then you can take the old one and slide it on the new cylinder. Be careful when removing the cylinder because the tumblers are spring loaded and sometimes the plate dont hold to well.

up up down down left right left right b a select start, you better ask somebody.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #5
carsisadam
GAGT - Newbie

carsisadam Gettin' there
I see,

My old one was destroyed, so I need to take the ignition lock cylider itself up there and get it reprogramed.

Here is the big question then. What else do I need to bring up there?
I can't bring my car because it doesn't start. Does the dealer need any particular info from my car numbers ect... to reprogram the cylider?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:31 AM   #6
Tank
GAGT - Member

I think just your VIN# and your I.D., I would call them before you go just to be sure.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
carsisadam
GAGT - Newbie

carsisadam Gettin' there
Ok, just talked to the dealer. I have to tow my car ($70-80) to the dealer, then I need to pay them $150 to reprogram my lock cylinder!
Is there another way to do this??? I can't afford this right now. Please, there has to be someone out there with a bypass trick. What scan tool is used to do this reprogramming? Maybe I can buy or borrow one and do it myself.
This sucks...
Old 08-10-2007, 10:45 AM   #8
lvemy3100
Im President Charley

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 2001 TURBO Alero
lvemy3100 a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to lvemy3100
removal/install directions

Ignition Switch Replacement Pontiac
Removal Procedure
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure
Remove the instrument panel (I/P) accessory trim plate. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Accessory
Remove the I/P cluster. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement

Remove the bolts from ignition switch.

Reposition the ignition switch for ease of removal.
Insert the key and turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.

Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release, then pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch.
Perform the following procedure to remove the ignition lock cylinder from the ignition switch:
Depress and hold the ignition lock cylinder detent.
Turn the key to the ON/RUN position.
Pull the ignition lock cylinder out with the key.

Important
Remove the ignition lock cylinder before you remove the Passlock? electrical connector.

Disconnect the Passlock? electrical connector from the ignition switch.

Disconnect the electrical connectors from the ignition switch.
Remove the ignition switch through the I/P cluster opening.

If the lock cylinder does not rotate or is seized, perform the following procedure:
Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the rib 9.5 mm (3/8 in) rearward, toward the key entry end, from the cylinder release button.
Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with an 1/8-inch drill bit.
Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32-inch drill bit.
Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove the cylinder from the switch housing.
Remove any plastic flashing from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.
Follow the service manual procedures when cylinder coding is required. Refer to Key and Lock Cylinder Coding .
Installation Procedure
If the lock cylinder would not rotate or was seized, perform the following procedure:
Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the ON position.
Push the lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.
You may need to slightly depress the release button as the cylinder passes by the 9/32-inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

Position the ignition switch into position through the I/P cluster opening.
Connect the electrical connectors to the ignition switch.

Connect the Passlock? electrical connector to the ignition switch.

Connect the park/lock cable to the ignition switch.
Insert the key and turn the ignition lock cylinder to the ON/RUN position.

Install the ignition lock cylinder. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
Remove the key from the lock cylinder.

Position the ignition switch to the I/P.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the bolts to the ignition switch. Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 6 Nm (53 lb in).

Install the I/P cluster. Refer to Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Replacement .
Install the I/P accessory trim plate. Refer to Trim Plate Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) Accessory .
Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnect/Connect Procedure .
Perform the Passlock? learn procedure. Refer to PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn in Theft Deterrent.

You want more power? You need MP Racing!

------

Now drink with me deeply of the bourbon, scotch, and rye until such time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find, and beat the a**es of, the nonbelievers who ruined my feast.
lvemy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #9
lvemy3100
Im President Charley

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 2001 TURBO Alero
lvemy3100 a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to lvemy3100
PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn

PASSLOCK Reprogramming Auto Learn

Important
Due to component variability, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system must have the learn procedure performed regardless, if the vehicle starts on the first ignition cycle after a VTD repair.

You must perform a theft relearn procedure if any of the following components have been replaced:

Passlock? sensor
Body control module (BCM)
Powertrain control module (PCM)
The above modules, with the exception for the Passlock? Sensor must also be programmed with each module's own vehicle configuration. See the individual module service manual section.

Auto Learn
Time required, approximately 10 minutes.

Insure that the battery is fully charged.
Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the CRANK position attempting to start the vehicle. The vehicle will start and then stall.
Leave the ignition switch in the ON position while observing the security indicator.
When the security indicator turns off, which can take up to 10 minutes, turn the ignition switch off. Wait 10 seconds.
The BCM and the PCM will learn the new code on the next start attempt.

You want more power? You need MP Racing!

------

Now drink with me deeply of the bourbon, scotch, and rye until such time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find, and beat the a**es of, the nonbelievers who ruined my feast.
lvemy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM   #10
carsisadam
GAGT - Newbie

carsisadam Gettin' there
Thanks Ivemy,

But what about the part at the end that says

"Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs"

I have tried the 10min auto relearn before. The security light did go off, but my car will still not start. That was the problem in the begining.
I may still have to go to the dealer if I can't figure this out.

Any comments on the part about my car being on a decline? Maybe I am not getting any gas to the fuel pump.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:32 PM   #11
timberwoof
Law Dawg

AKA: Cody
Vehicle: 2004 Grand Am SE1
timberwoof Gettin' there
My passlock is messing up more and more now, so now I have to get a new cylinder. GGRRR

What is the part #???
timberwoof is offline   Reply With Quote