GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RotorsOnline.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
jnugg69
gt fan

AKA: Chad
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am Gt Sedan
jnugg69 Gettin' there
Angry code P0122

Alright this is getting kind of retarded. My engine light has been on for a while and it came up with the p0122 code so I had my tps changed. It was good for about a day, when the light came back on. I had it scanned again and it was reading the same damn code. So, today my mechanic and I pulled my car in hooked his diagnostics tool up to it and began testing terminals, etc, and the tps itself. Everything seems to be doing the right job even my idle air control and other sensors. But I still get a real high idle at times on starting my car. I can't even let the car warm up in the cold because it idles higher and higher as it sits. Later on, I'll start it and it'll run fine. My mechanic mentioned vacuum leak, but I didn't think it would be intermittent then, it would be all the time wouldn't it? It's getting ridiculous because he seems lost on the whole matter and he'd hate to charge me a ton of money to rip everything apart to look for something he's not sure of. Any help would be much appreciated. I'm scared one of these days I'm gonna rear end someone at a stoplight because it's hard to hold the car back with that idle sometimes. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
lvemy3100
Im President Charley

AKA: Mark
Vehicle: 2001 TURBO Alero
lvemy3100 a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to lvemy3100
Circuit Description

The throttle position (TP) sensor circuit provides a voltage signal that changes relative to throttle blade angle. The signal voltage will vary from less than 1.0 volt at Closed Throttle to more than 4.0 volts at Wide Open Throttle (WOT). The powertrain control module (PCM) monitors the throttle position and compares the actual throttle position from the TP sensor to a predicted TP value that is calculated from the engine speed. If the PCM detects an excessively low TP sensor signal voltage, DTC P0122 will be set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition is ON.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
  • The TP sensor signal voltage is less than 0.16 volt.
  • The above conditions are present for longer than 1 second.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
  • The PCM will illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the second consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test has been run and failed.
  • The PCM will store conditions which were present when the DTC set as Freeze Frame/Failure Records data.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
  • The PCM will turn OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic has run and passed.
  • The history DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
  • The DTC can be cleared by using a scan tool.
Diagnostic Aids

Inspect for the following conditions:
  • Low voltage condition on the TP 5-volt reference circuit caused by high resistance, an open, or a short to ground
  • Short to ground on the TP sensor signal circuit
  • Open or high resistance on the TP sensor ground circuit
  • A malfunctioning TP sensor
Many situations may lead to an intermittent condition. Perform each inspection or test as directed.

Important:

Remove any debris from the connector surfaces before servicing a component. Inspect the connector gaskets when diagnosing or replacing a component. Ensure that the gaskets are installed correctly. The gaskets prevent contaminate intrusion.
  • Loose terminal connection
    • Use a corresponding mating terminal to test for proper tension. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections , and to Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems for diagnosis and repair.
    • Inspect the harness connectors for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, and faulty terminal to wire connection. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections, and to in Wiring Systems for diagnosis and repair.
  • Damaged harness--Inspect the wiring harness for damage. If the harness inspection does not reveal a problem, observe the display on the scan tool while moving connectors and wiring harnesses related to the sensor. A change in the scan tool display may indicate the location of the fault. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems for diagnosis and repair.
  • Inspect the powertrain control module (PCM) and the engine grounds for clean and secure connections. Refer to Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems for diagnosis and repair.
If the condition is determined to be intermittent, reviewing the Snapshot or Freeze Frame/Failure Records may be useful in determining when the DTC or condition was identified.

You want more power? You need MP Racing!

------

Now drink with me deeply of the bourbon, scotch, and rye until such time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find, and beat the a**es of, the nonbelievers who ruined my feast.

Last edited by lvemy3100; 11-20-2007 at 05:22 PM.
lvemy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
jnugg69
gt fan

AKA: Chad
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am Gt Sedan
jnugg69 Gettin' there
Thanks for the help mark.