GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 01-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
laura56083
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Laura
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
laura56083 Gettin' there
RPM's jumping and other problems

I have a 2000 grand am gt with 99,000 miles. I've been having lots of problems with the car and no one seems to understand what's going on. The worst thing is my RPM's decide to jump up and down all the time. I'll be comig to a stop with my foot on the brake and my rpm's jump up and my car wants to take off. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem? The other thing is a clicking noise that sounds like my directionals are always on and sometimes it looks like smoke comes from the steering wheel.. I know I'm not seeing things . The OTHER thing is... everytime I hit a bump it I have this really loud rattling noise coming from my rear passenger side. It's been getting louder and louder. I have subs in my trunk and I KNOW it's not those because I've had them in there for 2 years and this noise just started a few months ago.

I hope someone can help with some things!!
laura56083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:09 PM   #2
Panacea
Mmmm Donuts.

AKA: Macleod52
Vehicle: '09 Malibu LTZ
Panacea a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to Panacea
Rattling is probably strut mounts. It's common on these cars.

The turn signal noise is the turn signal switch itself (don't bother replacing the hazard switch cause it's not going to fix it).
Old 01-14-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
NorKoastal
WhiteOutGT

AKA: Brad
Vehicle: 2000 GA GT Coupe
NorKoastal Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to NorKoastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura56083 View Post
I have a 2000 grand am gt with 99,000 miles. I've been having lots of problems with the car and no one seems to understand what's going on. The worst thing is my RPM's decide to jump up and down all the time. I'll be comig to a stop with my foot on the brake and my rpm's jump up and my car wants to take off. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem? The other thing is a clicking noise that sounds like my directionals are always on and sometimes it looks like smoke comes from the steering wheel.. I know I'm not seeing things . The OTHER thing is... everytime I hit a bump it I have this really loud rattling noise coming from my rear passenger side. It's been getting louder and louder. I have subs in my trunk and I KNOW it's not those because I've had them in there for 2 years and this noise just started a few months ago.

I hope someone can help with some things!!
The jumpy idle could be caused by a faulty TPS sensor.. Throttle position sensor.. When the thing goes bad your idle will be jumpy and then the car will all of a sudden rev really high and stick there... This doesnt happen every start but will begin to happen often... The part is around $35-50 depending on where you go to replace it (dealer, autozone)
NorKoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
jackal2000
13's????

AKA: Jon
Vehicle: 2000 Alero GLS
jackal2000 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to jackal2000 Send a message via Yahoo to jackal2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorKoastal View Post
The jumpy idle could be caused by a faulty TPS sensor.. Throttle position sensor.. When the thing goes bad your idle will be jumpy and then the car will all of a sudden rev really high and stick there... This doesnt happen every start but will begin to happen often... The part is around $35-50 depending on where you go to replace it (dealer, autozone)
gmpartsdirect.com has them for $30 plus shipping. i had this same problem a while back.
jackal2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:53 AM   #5
laura56083
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Laura
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
laura56083 Gettin' there
hey guys..i tried a new TPS and its still doing the same thing..im so lost
laura56083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:20 PM   #6
NorKoastal
WhiteOutGT

AKA: Brad
Vehicle: 2000 GA GT Coupe
NorKoastal Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to NorKoastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by laura56083 View Post
hey guys..i tried a new TPS and its still doing the same thing..im so lost
Im thinking you might have a cracked hose somewhere causing a vacumn leak or possibly its the IAC sensor (above the TPS) that is acting up...

Hopefully its one of these two..

Just to make sure have you checked/changed all of the spark plugs recently?
Check your coil packs (where the spark plugs meet at the top of the motor). Make sure they arent too beat up looking and also pull the wires (one at a time) to make sure the post are clean and not rusted/dirty..

Has the PCV been changed recently.. Sometime the hose that pipes into the PCV will get cracked on the 90 degree bend.. This will cause a vacumn leak.
NorKoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
I)ark-ChiLD
GAGT - Member

AKA: John
Vehicle: 03 Grand AM GT
I)ark-ChiLD Gettin' there
its your MAF(Mass Air Flow) Sensor. Have it cleaned or replaced. I had the same problem 2 weeks ago.
K&N - CAI / L.E.D - Tails / S/CT - HooD / L.E.D - Interior Lighting / Badge Overlays / Custom Grills / CM Springs - 1.75" drop / Springtech Struts / MSD 8.5mm Wires / Painted Manifold{Black} / Front Strut BaR / Rear Strut Bar / 2.5' Custom Magnaflow Cat-Back / MKW M72 18's / Black Housing Clear Corner Headlights + HID Conversion Kit / 12' Alpine Sub / JBL Amp / JBL Speakers / Custom Painted Interior

One Love One GoD One Way
I)ark-ChiLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:52 AM   #8
2000amgt
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: ian
Vehicle: 2000 grand am gt
2000amgt Gettin' there
im having the same problem, did you ever get your problem resolved laura?
2000amgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
GrandAmGTTT
Pontiac Club Toledo

AKA: Josh
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT sedan
GrandAmGTTT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to GrandAmGTTT Send a message via Yahoo to GrandAmGTTT
Does it stall out at a low RPM?
Flowmaster 80, MDS 8.5mm wires, NGK plugs, LS1 MAF, 65mm TCE TB, MPracing p&p UIM, EGR delete, CAI, heat shield tape, Custom tuned by Chris , ZEX wet kit, ac delete, Front+Rear drilled/slotted rotors, Eibach springs, Front+Rear strut bars, ported and matched 3500 UIM and 3400 LIM, Powder coated Upper/Lower Intake manifolds and valve covers
GrandAmGTTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #10
Metallman56
Bears Fan

AKA: Metall
Vehicle: 2001 grand am gt coupe
Metallman56 a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by I)ark-ChiLD View Post
its your MAF(Mass Air Flow) Sensor. Have it cleaned or replaced. I had the same problem 2 weeks ago.
x2, mine does the exact same thing when my clapm for the CAI comes loose. its a b*tch to get it on there right sometimes.

So you proved your point about the camaro - condense your sig.
- Your friendly Administration
Metallman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:38 PM   #11
zukiracer19
BoOsTiN'

AKA: slograndam
Vehicle: ev0m0de
zukiracer19 Still kinda new, but learning
Clean your MAF, you can get the cleaner at autozone(MAF CLEANER), could be tps, Also thinking a bad o2 sensor could do this too
Old 01-02-2009, 02:28 AM   #12
RPO3
BayBeee

AKA: Ron
Vehicle: 2004 Grand AM GT Sedan
RPO3 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to RPO3
Ive Had The Same Prob...
Makes It Seem Like I Dont Know How To Drive...haha
RPO3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
fromoe
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: Terry
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Sedan
fromoe Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to fromoe Send a message via Yahoo to fromoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiracer19 View Post
Clean your MAF, you can get the cleaner at autozone(MAF CLEANER), could be tps, Also thinking a bad o2 sensor could do this too
had the same problem a couple years ago. it was the O2 sensor on the fritz
fromoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 02:03 AM   #14
Bonzo'97GaGt
GAGT - Member

AKA: bonzo
Vehicle: 1997 Grand Am GT Coupe
Bonzo'97GaGt Still kinda new, but learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmGTTT View Post
Does it stall out at a low RPM?
I'm having the same problem. At one point the CEL did come on indicating that the TPS was bad. Replaced that and still having the same problem. The idle will jump around, rev past 3000, then drop to a low RPM and stall. I will try cleaning out the MAF next, but are there any other possible causes?
Old 05-12-2010, 04:34 PM   #15
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT1 2dr
AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Dirty MAF, faulty TPS sensor, faulty IAC valve, vacuum leak somewhere, fouled or worn out O2 sensor... all of those can cause the rpm to jump around.
AaronGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 PM   #16
carlos m.
GAGT - Newbie

AKA: carlos
Vehicle: 2002 grand am GT sedan
carlos m. Gettin' there
Cool

Maybe we all have been ignoring the fuel pressure regulator as the culprit. The fuel pressure regulator has a diaphram inside that if cracked, broken or with a hole in it; raw fuel could be sucked into the manifold by the vacuum hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator itself. The raw fuel mixed with correct fuel-air inside the combustion chamber(s); would cause the upstream oxygen sensor to tell the computer to lean the mixture in relation to engine load-- at same time the downstream oxygen sensor feeds back the info to the computer , that the correct air-fuel ratio was acheived. That is why when you throttle back--it stops surging.
carlos m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #17
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

AaronGTR has made plenty of valid pointsAaronGTR has made plenty of valid points
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos m. View Post
Maybe we all have been ignoring the fuel pressure regulator as the culprit. The fuel pressure regulator has a diaphram inside that if cracked, broken or with a hole in it; raw fuel could be sucked into the manifold by the vacuum hose attached to the fuel pressure regulator itself. The raw fuel mixed with correct fuel-air inside the combustion chamber(s); would cause the upstream oxygen sensor to tell the computer to lean the mixture in relation to engine load-- at same time the downstream oxygen sensor feeds back the info to the computer , that the correct air-fuel ratio was acheived. That is why when you throttle back--it stops surging.

Usually if the diaphragm is bad you'll see fuel leaking around the hose on top because the fuel pressure is pretty high.

Also you've got the operation of the O2 sensors wrong. The "upstream" O2 sensor, or rather the primary or "bank 1" sensor which is before the cat, makes fuel corrections to the mixture after combustion, and has nothing to do with throttle input or engine load. The MAF sensor does that. The second O2 sensor, the one after the cat, only tells the computer if the cat is working properly and doesn't have anything to do with fuel adjustments at all.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #18
2000GAGT
Turbo 3.5L LX9

AKA: Steven
Vehicle: 2000 Grand AM GT
2000GAGT Gettin' there
hey thats good to know! i was wondering about that second O2 if it had any involvement with the fuel adjustments. I just ran my data logger and on a line graph my Bank1-S2 is more or less a flat line with the occasional jump about twice per screen and the upstream, Bank1-S1 is doing the usual quick up and down.

What do you think would cuz my car to create a major hesitation at WOT?
At about 5K it will jerk and the RPM will shoot down to around 3K then come back really fast and hold but very noticeable loss of power all around.
No engine codes, fuel pressure is good and seems to have a good A/F reading. Spark plugs are from last fall and wires are about one month old. Ignition control module is also about 6 months old. Possibly coils? or maybe not even an ignition problem...
I am running really rich, like a 12-11.5:1 A/F and have a 28lb injectors with a reprogram
2000GAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #19
AaronGTR
BlingWithBallz

Well, if that's your engine in your avatar pic.... using an RSM kit with no MAF sensor, there is your problem right there. MAF sensor is required for proper fuel metering and as a measurement of engine load used by the transmission programming. 100% positive that is causing your problem. Modify the kit to put the MAF sensor back in, and get it reprogrammed.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #20
Mac0083
User account under probation

AKA: Mac
Vehicle: 99 GT Coupe
Mac0083 Gettin' there
Aaron, click the pic of his avatar and it shows a bigger, different pic. in that setup, there is a MAF just in front of the TB

btw Steven, NICE!!!
dyno numbers yet?

Last edited by Mac0083; 06-02-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Mac0083 is offline   Reply With Quote