GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
MilzyMotorsports.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Main - Sponsored by www.PFYC.com > Newbies & FAQs > Help Me Decide

Old 02-12-2008, 09:57 PM   #1
Nick-G
Boost Addict

AKA: Nick
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT V6
Nick-G Gettin' there
Looking to spend some money!

Ok well I am somewhat new to GA modding. I have a 2002 Grand Am GT currently my only performance mod is a cold air intake.

I am currently a senior in school and will be graduating in a few months. So once I am out of school I will be putting quite a few hours in at work and should really be coming into some money.

First of all I will not be doing anything to my car until sometime this summer so right now I am just looking for some input on a few ideas I have. Now these are just a few idea's I have they may not be that great but I am just now starting to read up on things and really look into what it takes to get some power out of the GA.

Here are a few setups I was looking at. (all parts from mms except borla)

1)
- 65mm Throttlebody
- Port Polished 3400 Upper/Lower Intakes
- Ported Exhaust Manifolds
- Tuned PCM
- Borla Exhaust

2)
- 65mm Throttlebody
- 3500 Top Swap
- Ported Exhaust Manifolds
- Tuned PCM
- Borla Exhaust

These are just idea's I am not trying to decide between the two I am mainly looking for suggestions for a better setup. (thought I would say that since for some reason this got moved to the help me decide thread.)

Basically the difference in these two is the port/polished 3400 UIM LIM and 3500 Top Swap.

So does anyone think these setups are any good? Which would be better the 3500 top swap or 3400 port/polish?

Any suggestions are welcome I really want to go through with this but if I am going to spend this much on performance I want to do it the right way so if these setups suck or need changes please tell me. I really want to get the most power out of my car without a lot of custom work and without spending huge amounts of money.

----------------------------------
www.motorsportsevolved.com
Get updates on Facebook

Last edited by Nick-G; 02-12-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Nick-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
gectek
I hate nose hair

AKA: John
Vehicle: 2002 Grand Am GT sc/t
gectek Gettin' there
dont port the manifolds...a waste of time, either way you wanna go, make sure to stay with the tuning idea, but also when u look into these things, make sure you budget enough money for gasket sets, broken bolts and fittings, all the engine fluids, and some basic parts that you will run into that show wear, ie the timing chain and some other things, also it would be a good idea to look into getting a different cam, that will really liven things up, the crappy stock one will lose gumption in the higher rpms where the top end swaps and ported manis will help out alot, also look at performance springs or a set of new stockers...

Procrastinators UNITE!!!.....tomorrow
gectek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:16 PM   #3
Nick-G
Boost Addict

Nick-G Gettin' there
Actualy I would be saving money for college but I wouldnt be starting until next year and even then the state is paying for my first year anyways so for now I want to spend some money on my car.

I have to leave soon but I will definitely check out WOT-TECH tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the input and if the setups I posted do suck then I would really like some suggestions.

So I will probably check this thread sometime tomorrow I'm in kind of a hurry now.

Get updates on Facebook
Old 02-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
ryanbgb22
GAGT - Senior Member

AKA: Ryan
Vehicle: 11 z71, 02 z28
ryanbgb22 has made plenty of valid points
Send a message via AIM to ryanbgb22
just dont expect unrealistic results....your car will always be slow
ryanbgb22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
kse73
AVL

AKA: Joe
Vehicle: GTO/Audi A6
kse73 has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to kse73
SLP exhaust and SnS headers were perfect for me. All I needed to keep me content until I moved up in the world of cars.

2012 Audi A6 3.0T Prestige
kse73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #6
alerored04
GAGT - Member

AKA: Matt
Vehicle: 2001 Oldmobile Alero
alerored04 Gettin' there
. harsh but true. both packages look good but dont get ported exhaust manis. Save for headers.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
cardude007617
mmm turbo boost

AKA: Paul
Vehicle: 2005 WRX Sedan 5 Speed
cardude007617 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to cardude007617 Send a message via Yahoo to cardude007617
how much do 65mm TBs add on stock-ish cars? (cai/tune)
Tanabe Touring 3in catback, ERZ bellmouth catted downpipe, catless uppipe, SPT Pink springs, SPT short shifter, SPT intake, stereo, Cobb Accessport stage II, Prosport boost/oil temp/volt gauges, 35%, 17x8 Rota Torques, F/R strut braces

It's what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.
cardude007617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #8
Nick-G
Boost Addict

Nick-G Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post
I do realize that but where I live everyone has slow cars. Just my car with a CAI is probably one of the faster cars in the area. I mostly like modding my GA because its something new. Most people I see around here that do mod their cars are driving civics.

Get updates on Facebook
Old 02-13-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
silvergtjrad
yargh!

AKA: Jared
Vehicle: 06 TBSS
silvergtjrad a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to silvergtjrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbgb22 View Post
Quoted for truth. My mod list is far more extensive than about 90% of the people here, and my car is still damn slow. A few more weeks though and it will have a new motor, and still be slow compared to most modded cars out there.

Fast is not cheap, and cheap is not fast. No way around that.
Old 02-13-2008, 05:17 AM   #10
TFA
GAGT - Member

AKA: Kevin
Location: Trenton (The NJ State Capital, NOT Canada, by the way)
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
TFA Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to TFA
i like 2, mainly because it is similar to my goal. i am looking to do the same thing with the addition of a cam and headers. but also listen to everyone else, expect to add another 500$ or so on top of everything for gaskets, ect. also new springs and so on are a good idea.

'03 GT.
busted front bumper, Dr. speed cold air box, red top, MPR PCM, custom 2.5" mandrel catback to SLP, interior mods. Future: Tons O fun
TFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:21 AM   #11
silvergtjrad
yargh!

AKA: Jared
Vehicle: 06 TBSS
silvergtjrad a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to silvergtjrad
Headers, catback, tuned PCM, 65mm TB, and a ported upper intake would be a nice mod list, and get you some pretty good gains. Without spending big $$$ I would say that is the best you can do for under $2k.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:18 AM   #12
bigstribs
Bimmer Baby

AKA: mike
Vehicle: 1992 BMW 325is
bigstribs Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to bigstribs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegagt View Post
My first suggestion would be to save your money and go to college. But if your hell bent on modding your car I would go with #2. But I would get the parts from WOT-TECH. Why the desire for MMS parts?
Why not MMS? Why WOT Tech? Check out Milzys site man!
bigstribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
alerored04
GAGT - Member

alerored04 Gettin' there
why are you all over the nbody sites pushing milzy? You just posted a bunch of crap on aleromod about him. We are all aware of his products and his work. WOT tech is preferred by many because ben is a fantastic guy to deal with, has great prices, and always supports his customers and the community. I have not dealt with Milzy through no fault of his but will continue to spend money through Ben because of his fantastic track record and service.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:32 PM   #14
bigstribs
Bimmer Baby

AKA: mike
Vehicle: 1992 BMW 325is
bigstribs Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to bigstribs
Just trying to keep up on the sites since he has not posted over there in a while. Didnt mean to offend anybody but just give them another choice. Its all about customer preferance and maybe newbies that are on the site dont know about him yet since a lot of people are not on both sites! I mean Ben has his own people and Milzy has his own people but im not knocking any other or saying one is better than the other. Also you could have pm'd me instead of making this publicly known!! But now that you have for future reference come to me first! Milzy also has a great track record. Both are sponcers on this site.

Mike
bigstribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:39 PM   #15
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

AKA: Mike
Vehicle: 1999 Grand Am GT
MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to MilzyZ34
I just hired Mike here to help around the shop and do a lot of my ebay sales, and some internet advertizing and research. I stay pretty busy between working on cars and running the rest of the business, so Mike is here to fill in some of the gaps I've been neglecting. One of these gaps includes advertizing on some of the other forums that pertain to the products I sell. He's not just blatantly plugging our site, he's just spreading the word to some groups who may not be familiar with us.
MilzyZ34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:05 PM   #16
alerored04
GAGT - Member

alerored04 Gettin' there
I did not say anything bad about milzy did I? And i don't think you offended anyone, it just seemed odd to me that a new guy pops up on both sites pushing milzy, that is all i was curious about. You asked why WOT Tech and you got my honest answer with no bashing or other BS, what kind of answer would you like? Now that I have been satiated; back to the topic at hand.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #17
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by alerored04 View Post
I did not say anything bad about milzy did I? And i don't think you offended anyone, it just seemed odd to me that a new guy pops up on both sites pushing milzy, that is all i was curious about. You asked why WOT Tech and you got my honest answer with no bashing or other BS, what kind of answer would you like? Now that I have been satiated; back to the topic at hand.
I don't think you said anything bad, you just stated your opinion, offering up another option. I don't have a problem with that.

We're also not trying to offend or bug anyone. We're just trying to get out on some forums that we haven't stayed current on in a while.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
Sprucegagt
Schwartz Power!

AKA: Andy
Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT
Sprucegagt a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstribs View Post
Why not MMS? Why WOT Tech? Check out Milzys site man!
Why WOT Tech? Simple, Ben has been researching and developing his port work on the 3500 pieces for a couple years now. He has been pushing for people to look at the 3500 top end swap for some time, even though Milzy thought otherwise. Ben's customers have proven that this swap does provide good gains. Now, Milzy provides 3500 pieces and I'm just wondering why people are so willing to buy from him instead of the guy that did the homework for the swap. Now why is it so wrong to ask the question?

Last edited by Sprucegagt; 02-13-2008 at 03:41 PM.
Sprucegagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:36 PM   #19
TFA
GAGT - Member

AKA: Kevin
Location: Trenton (The NJ State Capital, NOT Canada, by the way)
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
TFA Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to TFA
For me its a matter of simply comfort. I bought my first parts from Milzy, now im a Milzy guy. He is a great guy, will help you out with anything, answer all your questions and knows his stuff. Not saying other people dont, Im sure they do, but Iva had good experience with him so Im sticking with him. If he does not offer something that Im looking for I will go somewhere else but thus far the only product he doesnt offer is a set of Headers that he is developing and I am seriously thinking about putting the first set he makes on my car. To each his own, in my opinion noone is better than anyone else, maybe I will go to WOTEC for my 3500 swap, maybe I will go to Milzy, it simply depends on my needs Vs. their services.

'03 GT.
busted front bumper, Dr. speed cold air box, red top, MPR PCM, custom 2.5" mandrel catback to SLP, interior mods. Future: Tons O fun
TFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:40 PM   #20
MilzyZ34
Fastest FWD GA

MilzyZ34 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegagt View Post
Why WOT Tech? Simple, Ben has been researching and developing his port work on the 3500 pieces for a couple years now. He has been pushing for people to look at the 3500 top end swap for some time, even though Milzy thought otherwise. Ben's customers have proven that this swap does provide good gains. Now, Milzy provides 3500 pieces and I'm just wondering why people as so willing to buy from him instead of the guy that did the homework for the swap. Now why is it so wrong to ask the question?
I bought three 3500 engines about three years ago for research, do you honestly think I haven't done any research on these parts?