GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
CustomCarGrills.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Modifications - Sponsored by RedlineGoods.com > All Go (Performance modifications)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #1
goozle63
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: jacob
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12
Vehicle: 1997 Grand Am GT
goozle63 Gettin' there
3100 V6(L82) engine questions/problems???

so i have a 1997 grand am GT with a 3100 V6 (L82). I havnt been driving it very long and it seem a little sluggish, and its not weighted down, its just my 140 pound self in there. How much horse power and torque do these have stock??? like if im goin 15mph and punch it straight to the floor its just a slow increase in speed, and the rpm's dont harldy even go up. It doesnt seem to have the power that a V6 should have. any suggestions? im not too smart with engines so im not sure what it is if anything, maybe timing, sludge, old air filter,transmision(automatic)? i dont know so any advice is greatly appreciated. its got 83,830 miles on it. thanks alot all
goozle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
timka86
6 Speed GT
 
timka86's Avatar
 
AKA: Tim
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Glendale Heights, IL
Age: 28
Posts: 645
Vehicle: 2005 G35 Sedan 6MT
timka86 Gettin' there
Send a message via MSN to timka86
155 hp, but this is really general information, MSN Auto's will tell you how much torque and hp the car has.

you probably just need a tune up if you haven't gotten one. you should have definitely had one by now.
__________________
EX-Owner and builder of the first ever 6 SPEED GRAND AM
http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73212
timka86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
goozle63
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: jacob
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12
Vehicle: 1997 Grand Am GT
goozle63 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by timka86 View Post
155 hp, but this is really general information, MSN Auto's will tell you how much torque and hp the car has.

you probably just need a tune up if you haven't gotten one. you should have definitely had one by now.
alright, thanks man
goozle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
Vegeta
WOT-Tech
 
Vegeta's Avatar
 
AKA: Ben
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Indiana
Age: 35
Posts: 1,029
Vehicle: 92 Grand Prix "GTP"
Vegeta Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to Vegeta
There is a lot you can do performance wise, some easy, some cheap, and some that is very in depth As for getting your engine to its peak as it comes from the factory, I would start with the GM top engine cleaner in the gas tank, and ran through a vacuum line to clean out the manifolds. Regular AC Delco plugs (iridium if you just want to spend more money on plugs). Good wires, any new, or mangecor if you want to spend the money on a set that will last forever and work flawless. New paper air filter works the best as a filter, or any K&N type drop in. MPRacing.org may have a cold air intake if you want to upgrade for better than stock performance. High flow cat if your stock cat is plugged up. This will hurt your mileage and performance so let us know how your milage has been.

Thats the basic stuff I think.
Vegeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:22 PM   #5
goozle63
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: jacob
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12
Vehicle: 1997 Grand Am GT
goozle63 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
There is a lot you can do performance wise, some easy, some cheap, and some that is very in depth As for getting your engine to its peak as it comes from the factory, I would start with the GM top engine cleaner in the gas tank, and ran through a vacuum line to clean out the manifolds. Regular AC Delco plugs (iridium if you just want to spend more money on plugs). Good wires, any new, or mangecor if you want to spend the money on a set that will last forever and work flawless. New paper air filter works the best as a filter, or any K&N type drop in. MPRacing.org may have a cold air intake if you want to upgrade for better than stock performance. High flow cat if your stock cat is plugged up. This will hurt your mileage and performance so let us know how your milage has been.

Thats the basic stuff I think.

thank you for the help! i thought maybe the throttle cable was loose so when i floored it it wasnt getting a full "tug" but nope not it. i think ima gonna take it to get checked out soon
goozle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:07 AM   #6
DrFabulous
FIGJAM
 
DrFabulous's Avatar
 
AKA: Matt
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Eden Prairie, MN
Age: 29
Posts: 9,452
Vehicle: 9-3/CR-V/GAGT
DrFabulous a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to DrFabulous Send a message via Yahoo to DrFabulous
It is a 10 year old engine, and probably only has 140 or so left in it by now.... How much do you want out of it?
__________________


01 GASE - R.I.P.
01 GAGT - R.I.P.
03 Saab 9-3 2.0T - current
04 GAGT - current
06 Honda CR-V - current
DrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #7
goozle63
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: jacob
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 12
Vehicle: 1997 Grand Am GT
goozle63 Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFabulous View Post
It is a 10 year old engine, and probably only has 140 or so left in it by now.... How much do you want out of it?
as much as i can get.
goozle63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
ceematt
GAGT - Newbie
 
AKA: Chris
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx, NY
Posts: 2
Vehicle: 1996 Grand Am GT 3100
ceematt Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFabulous View Post
It is a 10 year old engine, and probably only has 140 or so left in it by now.... How much do you want out of it?
That is the saddest thing I ever heard.

Mine ia 13 years old but it only has 50k miles...I hope it didn't dip that far down.
ceematt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #9
stewartfn18
GAGT - Senior Member
 
stewartfn18's Avatar
 
AKA: David
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dunedin, Fl
Age: 25
Posts: 2,036
Vehicle: 04 vette
stewartfn18 a trusted member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceematt View Post
That is the saddest thing I ever heard.

Mine ia 13 years old but it only has 50k miles...I hope it didn't dip that far down.
probably not. id depends a lot on how many miles is on the engine
__________________
MODS: Not Enough
stewartfn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
lvemy3100
Im President Charley
 
lvemy3100's Avatar
 
AKA: Mark
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Round Lake, IL
Posts: 2,040
Vehicle: 2001 TURBO Alero
lvemy3100 a trusted member
Send a message via AIM to lvemy3100
last time on the dyno my 99' 3100 was still putting out a bit more power than stock with well over 100k on the motor and trans... only mods were a CAI and very very mild PCM work...
__________________
-Mark


You want more power? You need MP Racing!

------

Now drink with me deeply of the bourbon, scotch, and rye until such time as we are fighting drunk. Then we shall find, and beat the a**es of, the nonbelievers who ruined my feast.
lvemy3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 GrandAmGT.com
CustomCarGrills.com