GrandAmGT.com Forum
http://www.pfyc.com GrandAmGT.com Premium Memership Signup
RedlineGoods.com   

Go Back   GrandAmGT.com Forum > GAGT - Technical - Sponsored by www.MilzyMotorSports.com > Technical Q&A

Old 06-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
stillriza
does not compute

AKA: Reds
Vehicle: 00110110101
stillriza a trusted member
Send a message via MSN to stillriza
Broken window sashes- Home made fix.

So both clips on the LF side were broken. I noticed that a few have said that part can be bought from part places but had no such luck locally. I also read that some were able to get the clip from the dealer at about $22 a peice. No thnx. And I wasn't about to ring up $200 on the entire assembly just for the parts.

So.. with a bit of inginuity, hard steel and lots of epoxy, my clips are fixed....and will never break again

The broken clips

A test application on the far right clip. Worked well. So decided to go big to ensure strength of the joint.

Went big

And no wonder why the windows would scratch. Look how much debri gets stuck at the end of the window. This stuff was hard as a rock.

It's ugly, but it works very well. Price of entire fix..$5.89 (the epoxy)

"If the Start Windows Restart when Windows starts check box is checked Windows Restart will start automatically every time Windows is started. - Actual excerpt from a windows program help file"

Last edited by stillriza; 06-25-2008 at 05:21 PM.
stillriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
HaVoK~DOGZ~
GAGT - Member

Vehicle: 2000 Grand Am GT Coupe
HaVoK~DOGZ~ has disabled reputation
damn nice work.... u should do a quick how to on this cause those damn window clips are always breaking..
Old 06-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
AaronGAGT
Scrap scrap!

AKA: Aaron
Vehicle: 2000 Black GT Coupe
AaronGAGT Gettin' there
Send a message via AIM to AaronGAGT
I dont know if what you're doing is going to fix it. The sashes (part that glued onto the window, $8 part from dealer) isn't the part that usually breaks.... its the white clip that runs in the window regulator guide (I've done them countless times on my own car and many local cars, $22 a piece).

I can't tell if you've done anything with the white clips -- but I definitely don't think you'll ever have a broken sash ever again!
AaronGAGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 05:20 PM   #4
stillriza
does not compute

AKA: Reds
Vehicle: 00110110101
stillriza a trusted member
Send a message via MSN to stillriza
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronGAGT View Post
I dont know if what you're doing is going to fix it. The sashes (part that glued onto the window, $8 part from dealer) isn't the part that usually breaks.... its the white clip that runs in the window regulator guide (I've done them countless times on my own car and many local cars, $22 a piece).

I can't tell if you've done anything with the white clips -- but I definitely don't think you'll ever have a broken sash ever again!
So they are called sashes, ok ok. Ya..the sash will never break again. And thnx..i corrected the thread title.

Funny though, none of the places I hit up sold just the sashes, and the one dealership only offered me the entire assembly.

The white clips looked ok to me...man that epoxy is tuff sht.. if they break i will probably try that first.

"If the Start Windows Restart when Windows starts check box is checked Windows Restart will start automatically every time Windows is started. - Actual excerpt from a windows program help file"
stillriza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
bigzach
GAGT - Newbie

Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT Coupe
bigzach Gettin' there
Heh...I was going to start a topic like this just now... I did something similar, but for free. I cut up a plastic scraper I had laying around and drilled some holes in it. It works now, but before I put the top two screws in the clip broke. We'll live with it for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0802081849.jpg (99.4 KB, 88 views)
It's funny how that works...

Last edited by bigzach; 08-02-2008 at 06:44 PM.
bigzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 AM   #6
AaronGAGT
Scrap scrap!

AaronGAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzach View Post
Heh...I was going to start a topic like this just now... I did something similar, but for free. I cut up a plastic scraper I had laying around and drilled some holes in it. It works now, but before I put the top two screws in the clip broke. We'll live with it for now
Hahaha NICE! it looks like it actually might work and reinforce that stupid part
Old 08-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
blondiez24gt
GAGT - Member

AKA: Leslie
Vehicle: 2003 Grand Am GT
blondiez24gt Gettin' there
My front drivers side window broke too. I took it to a glass shop, and the Guy handed Me these, and said they were the problem. He then quoted Me 300 to fix it. So I told Him no. He just propped the window up with a board. Here are some pics of what He gave Me. Are these fixable?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gt window.JPG (6.3 KB, 92 views)
blondiez24gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
tejohnson
Just a hobby...

AKA: Todd
Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500
tejohnson Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to tejohnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiez24gt View Post
My front drivers side window broke too. I took it to a glass shop, and the Guy handed Me these, and said they were the problem. He then quoted Me 300 to fix it. So I told Him no. He just propped the window up with a board. Here are some pics of what He gave Me. Are these fixable?
So funny. There is another local with the same problem. They are wanting my entire passenger side window. And who in the hell is trying to charge you $300 here in the area? That, my dear, is extortion at its finest. All you need is new clips and they can be epoxied on to the window. Not all that pricey to fix, and about an hour of work max.

Todd E. Johnson

SpyhunteR's #1 fan.

99 Grand Am (13.4@108) - Recycled
tejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #9
blondiez24gt
GAGT - Member

I have no idea how to do it Myself. It was Murray's glass in Marietta that wanted to charge $300. Where would You get the clips at? I thought about asking You for the window thing, but Your car is a 2 door isn't it? Mine is 4 door.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
AaronGAGT
Scrap scrap!

AaronGAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiez24gt View Post
I have no idea how to do it Myself. It was Murray's glass in Marietta that wanted to charge $300. Where would You get the clips at? I thought about asking You for the window thing, but Your car is a 2 door isn't it? Mine is 4 door.
dealership unfortunately.

(from your picture) the piece on the left has a white rectangular piece towards the top. Its called a "window sash" (~$8 from dealership when I got mine, yours doesn't look like it needs to be replaced) is actually epoxied (get a 2 part epoxy from any hardware store, looks like a syringe) onto the window, make sure you know where it was glued before.

As for the other piece of plastic with all the weird grooves/notches in it, those are what usually break and can be bought for about $36 from dealership.

DON'T let someone tell you that you need a whole new regulator, unless the cables are completely trashed.

If you don't know what you're doing, find someone that has a tiny bit of mechanical knowledge and use this website and you'll be able to figure it out a hell of a lot easier.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:23 AM   #11
tejohnson
Just a hobby...

AKA: Todd
Vehicle: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500
tejohnson Gettin' there
Send a message via Yahoo to tejohnson
Or, just simply drop by my house, which she and her husband did It is fixed. I purchased two today. The part number is 22689012, which they are $9.29 each (at the local dealer anyways). I guess you can score them from Pace if you have other things to order:

http://paceperformance.com//index.as...D&ProdID=77486

In any case, it was pretty fubar'd. It only required one sash, however, where the plastic retainers broke on the regulator, the cable jumped each pully on the door handle side. This allowed the cable to literally get ground up in the regulator gearing, and stripped the teeth off the plastic gears. Only pictures can describe the carnage! (hopefully they post some, because they took the devastated parts home). So what to do? We simply stole the tracks cabling, and regulator from the driver side door of my coupe, which I am selling the driver side window anyway. Well, we successfully adapted the coupe regulator into a sedan!

Oh, and it took a bit longer than an hour due to the surprise

The cables were a tad long, but the rest of the parts were a perfect fit. While they were here, I sold them drilled rotors, an Alpine stereo, and a K&N filter. Everything for $70 cash. I think they got a pretty good deal!

Turns out, there is someone stopping by house either tomorrow (errr today) or Wed to get her passenger side fixed due to one broken sash Turns out she paid over $700 to have it fixed the last time! WTF! I am in the wrong line of work. In any case, she has already claimed my rear spoiler (since her car is the exact same color and year)... Things have been hectic indeed.

Todd E. Johnson

SpyhunteR's #1 fan.

99 Grand Am (13.4@108) - Recycled

Last edited by tejohnson; 08-05-2008 at 01:27 AM.
tejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #12
AaronGAGT
Scrap scrap!

AaronGAGT Gettin' there
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejohnson View Post
The cables were a tad long, but the rest of the parts were a perfect fit. While they were here, I sold them drilled rotors, an Alpine stereo, and a K&N filter. Everything for $70 cash. I think they got a pretty good deal!
hahahaha tejohnson wheelin' and dealin'
Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #13
blondiez24gt
GAGT - Member

Yea TEJohnson definetly helped Me, and My husband out! By the way Thanks again! Here is a picture of the wire mess, on the regulator. Sorry its not very good. I loaned My actual digital camera to a friend to go on a cruise... So cell phone pics FTL!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg window regulator wires.JPG (11.2 KB, 58 views)